OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sort of miffed as to why so many people are seemingly surprised that this fight played out the way it did.

Even the people there covering the fight are portraying Mayweather as some sort of caricature of boredom. We have a pretty firm grasp on who he is as a fighter at this point and it was pretty obvious that this was how he was going to try to win the fight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The next guy to fight Mayweather should bring a bat in the ring - fairly clear that no one can get anywhere trying to hit him with their fists.

No need for a rematch there.

This fight reminded of the BJ Penn v. George St. Pierre fight. Looked good on paper, made for great debate, but once they stepped in to the ring, it was clear these were fighters in two different weight classes.

Pacquiao was so much smaller and it was obvious most of the fight. Two great fighters of different weight classes.

No need for a rematch.

Reaction Score
I could see Pac winning, I think Pac got bored with boxing a while ago but looked better recently and he's not bored heading into this fight. I saw some chinks in Floyd's armor recently and I think Pac has a sizable chunk of real estate in Floyd's head going into the fight.
Wrong

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I think we may have seen the death knell of boxing tonight. The most hyped fight of the decade, in a sport that has rapidly been losing market share to MMA, and it flopped. Boxing needed a homerun and got foul tip in to the catchers glove for the out.

Reaction Score
Sort of miffed as to why so many people are seemingly surprised that this fight played out the way it did.

Even the people there covering the fight are portraying Mayweather as some sort of caricature of boredom. We have a pretty firm grasp on who he is as a fighter at this point and it was pretty obvious that this was how he was going to try to win the fight.
I love watching Mayweather fight. I truly appreciate the way he executes the sweet science. Sort of like our girls, in the way that they make even the toughest opponents look ordinary. Some may call the blowouts boring, but I love seeing the the way our girls execute on the court and the way Mayweather boxes in the ring.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The next guy to fight Mayweather should bring a bat in the ring - fairly clear that no one can get anywhere trying to hit him with their fists.

No need for a rematch there.

My crew said the same thing, Fishy. No need for a second fight.

Again, best part of the fight was Jimmy Kimmel walking Manny to the ring dressed exactly like Justin Bieber when he walked to the ring at Floyd's last fight.

https://fansided.com/2015/05/03/jimmy-kimmel-manny-pacquiao-justin-bieber-video/

Reaction Score
I think floyd is a terrific fighter and maybe the best of this generation (we`ll find out saturday) but in the grand scheme of all time greats hes is ridiculously overrated! All i need to know about Floyds "greatness" is a split decision against a completely shot Oscar de la Hoya when Floyd was at his absolute peak. When you are truly great you obliterate washed up fighters not lose on one of the judges scorecards and have it close with the other two. Prime ODH beats prime Floyd. No doubt about it.
That's not his style to obliterate his opponents. De La Hoya was not washed up when he fought Floyd. Oscar looked totally drained from having to make weight against Pac. Look what he did to Pacquiao, then tell me he's overrated. I personally think he doesn't get enough credit for his boxing skills. I think you have to include Floyd in the conversation about greatest of all time.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
CEDVI5pVIAEHzSX.jpg-large-850x560.jpg

Reaction Score
I think we may have seen the death knell of boxing tonight. The most hyped fight of the decade, in a sport that has rapidly been losing market share to MMA, and it flopped. Boxing needed a homerun and got foul tip in to the catchers glove for the out.
I totally enjoyed every round. You have to love the way Floyd boxes. Truly Great.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I totally enjoyed every round. You have to love the way Floyd boxes. Truly Great.
Unfortunately , that seems to only be the opinion of about .05% of the population. I'm guessing those are diehard boxing fans with a deep enough understanding of the sport to appreciate what we saw tonight. Hard to imagine what it's going to take for a boxing match to capture the publics interest again in the near future. Clearly a rematch isn't going to do it. Can you think of one that would be of absolutely any interest to the casual fan?

Reaction Score
That's not his style to obliterate his opponents. De La Hoya was not washed up when he fought Floyd. Oscar looked totally drained from having to make weight against Pac. Look what he did to Pacquiao, then tell me he's overrated. I personally think he doesn't get enough credit for his boxing skills. I think you have to include Floyd in the conversation about greatest of all time.

Oscar wasnt washed up? Seriously? he had fought once in the previous 2 years,had drug and alchohol issues and btw retired two fights after the Floyd fight come on now! Floyd has boxing skills. What he did to pac? You mean Manny comes forward floyd runs away. Manny cuts off the ring lands solid shots floyd holds. Rinse repeat. Floyd landed 81 power punches to mannys 63. Not much of a difference. Btw manny landed the best shots of the fight. Floyd won manny lost its over as far as im concerned.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Best recap of the "fight" I've read so far, CA.

Until I got to the end. That was no foul tip. That was a strikeout looking, in the World Series with the bags juiced and two outs. Chance to shock the world and you sh#t the bed. For boxing to survive, the sport needs the heavyweight class to produce absolute beasts on a consistent basis. These little guys dancing around isn't going to cut it.

Then again, I'm part of the problem. I paid to watch and that's what they wanted.

Your mention of MMA is spot on. The majority of those fights are on free TV and never disappoint.

I can't remember the last boxing match that ended with neither fighter bleeding, cut or lumped up. That happened tonight and boxing died a bit inside.

Reaction Score
Thats running with intermittent boxing from time to time. You want to see boxing? Go watch guys like Rigondeaux and Roman Gonzalez. Guys who dont need to run to avoid being hit.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The night that boxing generates about half a billion dollars of business is not the night to proclaim its demise unless you're bad at math.

The problem is the fight stunk and there is absolutely no other fight, or fighter, that anyone cares about on the horizon. It's not like the 80's when the winner of this fight had to decide whether to fight Leonard, , Hagler, Hearns or Breeland and we we're excited to hear the decison. What does Mayweather do next? You going to fork out $99 to watch the rematch? Can you name one fight in any weight class that the general public will pay $10 for? The fact that Manny and Mayweather were able to draw this out for 7 years and were able to convince tons of people to come along for the ride in hopes of seeing a good fight doesn't prove boxing is on stable footing. It says to me that even the one fight everyone wanted to see no longer has drawing power after that turkey. I guess it's possible there will be resurgence but it's clearly going to be quite some time.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The night that boxing generates about half a billion dollars of business is not the night to proclaim its demise unless you're bad at math.

Not sure if you're referencing my post or not. If so, you might have missed this part:

"Then again, I'm part of the problem. I paid to watch and that's what they wanted."

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"Then again, I'm part of the problem. I paid to watch and that's what they wanted."
But would you pay for the rematch? How about any other fight in any weight class? That's the problem. The answer is clearly no for the vast majority of the American public.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There will always be new fighters and new fights.

And guess what - Mayweather's next fight will sell. Manny's next fight will sell...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure if you're referencing my post or not. If so, you might have missed this part:

Nah, not you.

The nitwit who thinks this won't happen again for boxing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nah, not you.

The nitwit who thinks this won't happen again for boxing.
It may, but it will be quite a while. I don't dispute I'm a nitwit but I'm sill waiting to hear which fight has any chance of attracting the casual American fan. Hardcore boxing fans aren't a large enough demographic to support big paydays anymore.

Reaction Score
Teddy Atlas on ESPN responding to all the social media complaints/disappointments; People have to understand what they're paying for, you don't go buying Rolling Stone concert tickets thinking its another time, Jagger and the Stones are old for chrissakes! A lot of references to the money.
A reporter at the post fight press conference asked Mayweather why presumably stop at 49-0 in September when you can surpass Marciano? He can always dangle a historical bout to gain further interest if he chose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just watched the fight and all I know is that Mayweather looks like he could go another 6 rounds. Meaning that he will be able to spend his money in the morning with little physical consequences.

We may want blood, guts, knockdowns and all that, but Mayweather very smartly made over a hundred million dollars without injury, pain or swelling. To me he says yall I'm going to make my money, not get hurt, win and go home my way. I'd say he won more ways than one.

How can anyone be upset at him?

Reaction Score
The problem is the fight stunk and there is absolutely no other fight, or fighter, that anyone cares about on the horizon. It's not like the 80's when the winner of this fight had to decide whether to fight Leonard, , Hagler, Hearns or Breeland and we we're excited to hear the decison. What does Mayweather do next? You going to fork out $99 to watch the rematch? Can you name one fight in any weight class that the general public will pay $10 for? The fact that Manny and Mayweather were able to draw this out for 7 years and were able to convince tons of people to come along for the ride in hopes of seeing a good fight doesn't prove boxing is on stable footing. It says to me that even the one fight everyone wanted to see no longer has drawing power after that turkey. I guess it's possible there will be resurgence but it's clearly going to be quite some time.

I blame the WBA and WBC, this bout should have happened 5 years ago. As long as you have no real leadership, the sport will suffer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I just watched the fight and all I know is that Mayweather looks like he could go another 6 rounds. Meaning that he will be able to spend his money in the morning with little physical consequences.

We may want blood, guts, knockdowns and all that, but Mayweather very smartly made over a hundred million dollars without injury, pain or swelling. To me he says yall I'm going to make my money, not get hurt, win and go home my way. I'd say he won more ways than one.

How can anyone be upset at him?

You mean besides the women he punched or denied press credentials to?

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member