OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The 20s and early 30s like MMA, and realize how ridiculously stupid it is once they hit 35

How is that statement the conclusion you got out of those stats, and not the fact that the UFC/MMA has only been getting bigger over the last 10 or so years, primarily towards a younger audience? The younger audience will continue to watch as they age, the same way the older generations now grew up with boxing and continued watching that as they aged.

MMA is new, and no one 'realizes how stupid it is once they hit 35'.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
MMA is overtaking boxing bc it's more accessible to everyone on tv and the events ...boxing needs someone like tyson again for people to watch it a lot more as well as it being more accessible to everyone

Reaction Score
Awful fight. All may weather does is throw weak jabs and occasiaonaly a right and then clinch and run away. He's like a baseball pitcher that throws an 85 mile per hour fast ball and has just a good enough breaking ball and control to consistently get guys to pop up and ground out without getting strikeouts. I hate it when fighters stay at tiny weight classes and are afraid to move to heavier ones because they don't want to face bigger and stronger fighters. If u want to be one of the best ever u must prove you can beat other people with the same frame and reach or longer. Mayweather should be fighting at 175 or more and not this 147 crap. My frame is barely bigger than his and I'm 210, not using peds and more than 10 years younger. He's afraid of losing instead of wanting to prove he's a true all time great by moving way up in weight class

Reaction Score
Awful fight. All may weather does is throw weak jabs and occasiaonaly a right and then clinch and run away. He's like a baseball pitcher that throws an 85 mile per hour fast ball and has just a good enough breaking ball and control to consistently get guys to pop up and ground out without getting strikeouts. I hate it when fighters stay at tiny weight classes and are afraid to move to heavier ones because they don't want to face bigger and stronger fighters. If u want to be one of the best ever u must prove you can beat other people with the same frame and reach or longer. Mayweather should be fighting at 175 or more and not this 147 crap. My frame is barely bigger than his and I'm 210, not using peds and more than 10 years younger. He's afraid of losing instead of wanting to prove he's a true all time great by moving way up in weight class
This post could not be more misinformed.

Reaction Score
Mma is street fighting. I watch it but give me boxing any day over mma.

Boxing is much more of a chess match where technique and skill usually win out. You only have a limited area to strike so that's where getting the right angles, footwork, balance, combinations, defense all work in cohesion.

Mma is more wide open that's why there more action. And ground game is boring to me. I understand all the different holds and submissions and reversing holds etc but it's just too easy to initiate and have action because you can attack from head to toe by using just about any body part you want. And then ground and pound against a defenseless being is about as barbaric and non skillful as it gets

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Mayweather should be fighting at 175lbs probably saw their 1st fight last night. Mayweather would be physically outmatched against most 160 pounders. I believe Mayweather turned pro at 130 lbs if not 135.

Reaction Score
Sportsman5 said:
My frame is barely bigger than his and I'm 210, not using peds and more than 10 years younger.

Mix in a salad maybe.

Reaction Score
It's not overtaking anything. It's flat out idiotic. Go to any Slider's on a Sat. night with a big MMA fight, the crowd is scary, a weird subculture. If my son ever buys a Tapout shirt I'll throw it out in 2 minutes.

MMA is overtaking boxing bc it's more accessible to everyone on tv and the events ...boxing needs someone like tyson again for people to watch it a lot more as well as it being more accessible to everyone

Reaction Score
To each their own but in my opinion boxing blows away the MMA UFC crap. Boxing is all about skill, attrition, and real pro athletes, whereas I view MMA as two meatheads in a bar fight.

Reaction Score
It's not overtaking anything. It's flat out idiotic. Go to any Slider's on a Sat. night with a big MMA fight, the crowd is scary, a weird subculture. If my son ever buys a Tapout shirt I'll throw it out in 2 minutes.

Speaking of Sliders, I'm pretty sure it didn't even open last night, at least the one in West Hartford.

Reaction Score
To each their own but in my opinion boxing blows away the MMA UFC crap. Boxing is all about skill, attrition, and real pro athletes, whereas I view MMA as two meatheads in a bar fight.

I agree, to each their own, and I enjoy both, but your take on the difference is just anecdotal nonsense for the most part.

Reaction Score

How am I misinformed? Great athletes challenge themselves and do what is necessary to prove they are the best. There's many reasons why people believe mike Tyson is the best fighter of all time, but one of them is that he fought guys who were taller, had a longer reach, and weighed more than him. Often times guys greatly exceeded him in all 3 categories. He was only about 2-3 inches taller than mayweather and had the same reach, but fought in the top weight class. Maweather intentionally keeps tiny so he doesn't have to face larger fighters who have equal or greater frames. That's not debatable. If he wants to try to be the greatest fighter in the world then he has to challenge himself. You can disagree, but I am making a very valid point

Reaction Score

Up to 30% of Brazil will watch an mma fight and its huge in the USA, China and mexico. Mma is mainstream and huge in the markets it needs to be huge in. It also destroys boxing in the demographic battle. I will watch a good boxing or mma match, but there are a lot more good mma matchups than boxing right now.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Mayweather should be fighting at 175lbs probably saw their 1st fight last night. Mayweather would be physically outmatched against most 160 pounders. I believe Mayweather turned pro at 130 lbs if not 135.
That's the entire point! As I said in my previous post a great fighter will challenge themselves against equal or greater fighters and not stay in the tiny weight divisions by starving themselves and cutting a bunch of water weight. It's fine to start at the small weight divisions, but eventually you need to move up if you have the frame for it. If he was 5'4 with a 5'7 reach, then it would be a completely different story.

Reaction Score
That's the entire point! As I said in my previous post a great fighter will challenge themselves against equal or greater fighters and not stay in the tiny weight divisions by starving themselves and cutting a bunch of water weight. It's fine to start at the small weight divisions, but eventually you need to move up if you have the frame for it. If he was 5'4 with a 5'7 reach, then it would be a completely different story.

Floyd is only 5'8 why would he move up? Hearns, Hagler, De La Hoya, Sugar Ray were all much taller and fought in the same weight division.

Reaction Score
Mayweather never impresses he just wins. I don't think we truly appreciate just how great he is defensively. He turned Manny who is normally a buzz saw into a pedestrian, gun shy, confused, ordinary fighter.

Floyd is a jerk, and his DV history is well documented, but in the ring he is an amazing defensive fighter that figure out any fighters timing after a few rounds. An all time great.
If he was just a defensive fighter, he would get knocked out. You have to be able to keep fighters at bay and he does it better than anybody. 48% on power punches. Very impressive.

Reaction Score
Up to 30% of Brazil will watch an mma fight and its huge in the USA, China and mexico. Mma is mainstream and huge in the markets it needs to be huge in. It also destroys boxing in the demographic battle. I will watch a good boxing or mma match, but there are a lot more good mma matchups than boxing right now.
Brazil, really?
How am I misinformed? Great athletes challenge themselves and do what is necessary to prove they are the best. There's many reasons why people believe mike Tyson is the best fighter of all time, but one of them is that he fought guys who were taller, had a longer reach, and weighed more than him. Often times guys greatly exceeded him in all 3 categories. He was only about 2-3 inches taller than mayweather and had the same reach, but fought in the top weight class. Maweather intentionally keeps tiny so he doesn't have to face larger fighters who have equal or greater frames. That's not debatable. If he wants to try to be the greatest fighter in the world then he has to challenge himself. You can disagree, but I am making a very valid point
Tyson has a much wider frame than Floyd. Tyson is a natural heavyweight. Give me a break will ya. Everybody is trying to discredit Floyd in one way or another. What a ridiculous way to behave! I've never seen a fight attacked like this. What is it? Are you mad because he beat Pac? Because he speaks his mind? What is it? Give credit where credit is due, stop hating on the man. Totally embarrasing.

Reaction Score
If he was just a defensive fighter, he would get knocked out. You have to be able to keep fighters at bay and he does it better than anybody. 48% on power punches. Very impressive.
He is truly gifted with hand and foot speed but he seldom takes chances in there, and why should he. His way of doing things has gotten him to 49-0.

Roy Jones before he hung around too long had similar superior hand and foot speed but he would try to finish guys who didn't belong in there with him. In terms of pure physical gifts those two guys stand head and shoulders above this most recent generation of fighters.

Reaction Score
Who watches MMA? Unless you wear Affliction t-shirts and have 10+ tats who watches those?

Boxing won't come back until the heavyweight division ever gets interesting again.
He is truly gifted with hand and foot speed but he seldom takes chances in there, and why should he. His way of doing things has gotten him to 49-0.

Roy Jones before he hung around too long had similar superior hand and foot speed but he would try to finish guys who didn't belong in there with him. In terms of pure physical gifts those two guys stand head and shoulders above this most recent generation of fighters.
Roy Jones fought bums. Not a lot of great fighters when he fought. I like Roy Jones but he got put to sleep.

Reaction Score
Floyd is only 5'8 why would he move up? Hearns, Hagler, De La Hoya, Sugar Ray were all much taller and fought in the same weight division.
He would move up to try to be regarded as the best boxer ever

Reaction Score
Brazil, really?

Tyson has a much wider frame than Floyd. Tyson is a natural heavyweight. Give me a break will ya. Everybody is trying to discredit Floyd in one way or another. What a ridiculous way to behave! I've never seen a fight attacked like this. What is it? Are you mad because he beat Pac? Because he speaks his mind? What is it? Give credit where credit is due, stop hating on the man. Totally embarrasing.

Yes Brazil. Big population and a middle class that has rapidly expanded. England, Canada, Japan, the Nordic countries, australia and may other European countries are huge into mama in addition. To the ones I listed. And it destroys boxing in the 18-35 year old male demographic, which is by far and away the most important to combat sports advertisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom