OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well the boxer won but man Mayweather's fights are tough to watch. He may be the best counter puncher of all time.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I have ever seen a more commercialized fight. Floyd had the Burger King in his entourage for God's sake. How the hell did these guys miss a chance for Manny to bring Ronald McDonald out with him? As for the fight itself, it was about what I expected and there was no way we were going to see what we would have 4 or 5 years ago had they fought back then.

Reaction Score
As i said a page earlier in this thread; the casual fan would not enjoy the fight. It happened exactly as most people thought would happen. Floyd just outclassed and out boxed Manny in every aspect. He was never in danger except for 1 time but he quickly recovered. He used his jab to keep Manny from getting inside and just moved better and killed Manny with counter punches.

Floyd put on a clinic and it was an absolute joy to watch. The casual fan doesnt appreciate the nuances and art of boxing. What Floyd did last night was like watching Greg Maddux pitch. Maddux didnt blow people away with 97 mph heaters. He was just insanely good at changing speeds, locating with pinpoint control, and making the ball cut and run in both directions and all 4 quadrants to keep hitters off balance and having no idea where or what was coming.. Maddux was a maestro when pitching and a joy to watch just like Floyd is in the ring. They aren't flashy they are just that much more intelligent and know exactly how to beat their opponents.

The people who think Manny was more active are mistaken also. They both threw about the same punches. Floyd blocked most of Manny's punches and landed his punches at a much higher rate. Hitting the gloves or arms arent clean hits in boxing. Floyds punches were getting through Manny's gloves.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I have ever seen a more commercialized fight. Floyd had the Burger King in his entourage for God's sake. How the hell did these guys miss a chance for Manny to bring Ronald McDonald out with him? As for the fight itself, it was about what I expected and there was no way we were going to see what we would have 4 or 5 years ago had they fought back then.

Its all money grabs. Whats to hate about the boxers maximizing their earning potential. Mannys camp had Freddy Roach wearing a Geico headband and then stopping to take a selfie. You have celebs sitting ringside for free as long as they wear a hat or shirt or whatever to market whatever company or product. Boxing has always been this way.

MMA has advertisements on shorts. Soccer has them on jerseys and the wall around the field. Baseball has advertisements on the walls.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This just is not a "man" who deserves 100M pay days. I get the "great fight" idea, but not sure how you pay to watch anything this criminal does? Yeah, yeah there are others, heck the Cowboys signed one. But this guy is literally "serial"! He's not a good guy.

http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd-mayweather-1605217498

Bread and circuses. The demographic that buys this entertainment simply doesn't care about domestic violence and will sweep all sorts of ugliness under the rug in order to be entertained.

I'd personally boycott every Mayweather sponsor, but turns out I don't like any those products anyway. Although I was considering FanDuel... easily replaced.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
as someone who bought into the hype and never watches boxing, I thought Mayweather is a boring fighter, Pac was the aggressor and looked much better, I don't understand how mayweather got more punches unless you considered those halfased air jabs punches... If there were two Pacmans fighting or two fighters that didnt run away or hold the entire time i'd be more into it... the fight before it was more enjoyable, those guys were kicking each others ases

Reaction Score
Its funny to me people who think Floyd just runs. What he is doing is setting up the perfect distance to throw his jab and prevent the shorter Manny from having an opportunity to get inside and hurt him. Floyd also has great ring awareness and keeps moving to create and prevent angles for throwing punches and also to make sure he stays in the middle of the ring so he can side step and use superior footwork to avoid being a punching bag.

Boxing is so much more than just standing in front of each other and unloading. Thats not what boxing is. You get a few of those fights but the majority isn't like that. This is their livelihood and careers they dont want to end up like Freddie Roach or Ali.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I didn't see the fight, but I have read that both fighters, at the end of the fight, looked like they had just finished a 5k road race, not the battle everyone seems to think it was.

If nobody is knocked down after 15 rounds, it was a draw as far as I'm concerned. Or the guy who was hit the most was the winner.

Reaction Score
Thats running with intermittent boxing from time to time. You want to see boxing? Go watch guys like Rigondeaux and Roman Gonzalez. Guys who dont need to run to avoid being hit.
A lot of people are saying that Floyd ran. Ok, let's just say for the sake of arguing that a lot of people "run" in boxing. Great fighters have a way of slowing people down by cutting off the ring and using body shots to slow their opponents. I guess Many is not one of the greats. I have never, ever seen a fighter so thoroughly neutralize an opponent the way Floyd does, he makes the best fighters look so ordinary. Pac had no idea how to deal with Floyd's speed, accuracy,angles and footwork. How can you not see greatness? True boxing fans appreciate great fighters. So go watch MMA, that's your choice, boxing doesn't need you. True boxing fans will stay and appreciate the great sport of boxing.

Reaction Score
as someone who bought into the hype and never watches boxing, I thought Mayweather is a boring fighter, Pac was the aggressor and looked much better, I don't understand how mayweather got more punches unless you considered those halfased air jabs punches... If there were two Pacmans fighting or two fighters that didnt run away or hold the entire time i'd be more into it... the fight before it was more enjoyable, those guys were kicking each others ases
Floyd, landed 48% of his power punches. Boxing is not just all about standing in the center of the ring throwing blows all the time. If a fighter is stronger or hits harder than you do, you would be an absolute fool to stand in front of him. Floyd's defense is all time brilliant. I saw a beautiful beat down by on of the greatest fighters of all time.

Reaction Score

Here's the actual stats since I dont think htey have been posted.

Total Punches thrown
Manny: 429; Landed: 81; 19% hit rate
Floyd: 435; Landed: 148; 34% hit rate

Jabs thrown
Manny: 193; Landed: 18; 9% hit rate
Floyd: 267; Landed: 67; 25% hit rate

Power Punches thrown
Manny: 236; Landed: 63; 27% hit rate
Floyd: 168; Landed: 81; 48% hit rate

Anyone who think Manny was more active is kidding themselves.

Reaction Score

Total Punches thrown

Jabs thrown

Power Punches thrown

i agree with this. where is the argument for pac? mayweather completely obliterated his hit rate. when i was watching it seemed like manny just couldn't land punches on floyd at all, while floyd was highly techinical with his counters and jabs. Why did manny stop throwing his jab? looked like he was trying to get the homerun for many rounds

Reaction Score
Oscar wasnt washed up? Seriously? he had fought once in the previous 2 years,had drug and alchohol issues and btw retired two fights after the Floyd fight come on now! Floyd has boxing skills. What he did to pac? You mean Manny comes forward floyd runs away. Manny cuts off the ring lands solid shots floyd holds. Rinse repeat. Floyd landed 81 power punches to mannys 63. Not much of a difference. Btw manny landed the best shots of the fight. Floyd won manny lost its over as far as im concerned.
You just don't get it do you? Pac looked ordinary and confused. Where was all of his blinding flurries? Where was the relentless aggression? I'll tell you why Pac wasn't fighting like that, it's because he was getting hit with straight right hands all night and couldn't do a damn thing about it. Simple straight right hand so beautiful in its simplicity but yet unsolvable by Pac. Pac was simply exposed tonight by a superior boxer who took him apart and made it look easy. Give Mayweather his praise for a brilliant display of boxing that true fans of the sport recognize and appreciate. Haters all

Reaction Score

Total Punches thrown

Jabs thrown

Power Punches thrown

Right on.

Reaction Score
Its funny to me people who think Floyd just runs. What he is doing is setting up the perfect distance to throw his jab and prevent the shorter Manny from having an opportunity to get inside and hurt him. Floyd also has great ring awareness and keeps moving to create and prevent angles for throwing punches and also to make sure he stays in the middle of the ring so he can side step and use superior footwork to avoid being a punching bag.

Boxing is so much more than just standing in front of each other and unloading. Thats not what boxing is. You get a few of those fights but the majority isn't like that. This is their livelihood and careers they dont want to end up like Freddie Roach or Ali.
So true. But, I saw Floyd on the ropes a few times. It seemed like he was baiting Pac, getting him to come forward so that he could pop him with the overhand right. I saw a sequence where Floyd was on the ropes, Pacman was hitting him with a flurry of punches, then he just backed off. My point is that Pac had Floyd on the ropes a few times but couldn't capitalize on it because of Floyd's defense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Floyd, landed 48% of his power punches. Boxing is not just all about standing in the center of the ring throwing blows all the time. If a fighter is stronger or hits harder than you do, you would be an absolute fool to stand in front of him. Floyd's defense is all time brilliant. I saw a beautiful beat down by on of the greatest fighters of all time.
I saw him execute defensively very well and i completely understand his strategy, but he didnt impress me

Reaction Score
I think it was scored perfectly. Pac was more entertaining but was overmatched.

Reaction Score
Who watches MMA? Unless you wear Affliction t-shirts and have 10+ tats who watches those?

Boxing won't come back until the heavyweight division ever gets interesting again.

Best recap of the "fight" I've read so far, CA.

Until I got to the end. That was no foul tip. That was a strikeout looking, in the World Series with the bags juiced and two outs. Chance to shock the world and you sh#t the bed. For boxing to survive, the sport needs the heavyweight class to produce absolute beasts on a consistent basis. These little guys dancing around isn't going to cut it.

Then again, I'm part of the problem. I paid to watch and that's what they wanted.

Your mention of MMA is spot on. The majority of those fights are on free TV and never disappoint.

I can't remember the last boxing match that ended with neither fighter bleeding, cut or lumped up. That happened tonight and boxing died a bit inside.

Reaction Score
I doubt Floyd will fight him but I'd like to see him go against Keith Thurman next.

Reaction Score
Mayweather never impresses he just wins. I don't think we truly appreciate just how great he is defensively. He turned Manny who is normally a buzz saw into a pedestrian, gun shy, confused, ordinary fighter.

Floyd is a jerk, and his DV history is well documented, but in the ring he is an amazing defensive fighter that figure out any fighters timing after a few rounds. An all time great.

Reaction Score
Boxing is the one sport you don't expect strong character backgrounds. Sure they get paid a lot of money but to think most boxers are model citizens is just naive.

Its the one sport that people with criminal records and violent behaviors get rewarded.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Who watches MMA? Unless you wear Affliction t-shirts and have 10+ tats who watches those?
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ng-adults-with-purchasing-power-71765747.html

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits