Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 126 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Excellent! Way to go Alli and Bellwood-Antis. Repeating a state championship is difficult -- sectionals, then the states. (lot of games in Pa!). Heck, Campbell will have a chance for a third one next year.

Anaya Peoples and her HS won two straight in Illinois. Good year for guards who are ND signees/commits.

Reaction Score
hey there. Thanks for the update. Like Orangutan, I'll pass on the subscription. This has been Campbell's pattern (or that of teams playing against her): throw a specialized defense against her in the first half to throw AC and B-A off. Then, Bellwood-Antis figures out a way to combat until Campbell comes to life.

I've been lucky to see a few of her AAU games last summer. When she gets going she can stroke it.

Thanks for the updates! Final score?
No problem. As Dillon’s tweet below shows, the final was 66-57. It was interested because in the first half, the other team went mostly with a trap and the pressured the top and Alli was finding the shooters in the corner and they were knocking it down. Then they came out of it in the second half into a man-to-man and she really got going.

Luckily for Alli’s team, they had a 6’0” junior committed to Monmouth who was really able to slow down the other team’s star player who had interest from Akron, Buffalo, Albany, etc. With those two back, I’m sure they are a favorite for next season’s state championship too.

You guys really did get a good one in Alli. I think she will be a nice guard at ND, probably play the 2, but handles it well in addition to stellar shooting. I think UConn fans will actually like this one (as opposed to Mabrey and Ogunbowale:D). Seems like a really great kid.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
uuhmm. We have a quota on how many ND kids we can like. ;)

I've actually been wondering who UConn fans will dislike most after Arike and Marina are gone.

I think I've settled on Vaughn and Prohaska. Vaughn plays pretty physical and Prohaska has a tendency to take charges (and we all know charges = flops if you root for the team that got called for the charge).

Nixon, Gilbert, Peoples, Young, Brunelle, and Patterson all seem too nice to nice to be proper villains But maybe one of them has a secret nasty streak lurking that we don't know about!

Reaction Score
I think theres already a little dislike for Brunelle after the whole "offer or no offer" situation.

Reaction Score
I've actually been wondering who UConn fans will dislike most after Arike and Marina are gone.

I think I've settled on Vaughn and Prohaska. Vaughn plays pretty physical and Prohaska has a tendency to take charges (and we all know charges = flops if you root for the team that got called for the charge).

Nixon, Gilbert, Peoples, Young, Brunelle, and Patterson all seem too nice to nice to be proper villains But maybe one of them has a secret nasty streak lurking that we don't know about!

kind of depends on how good they are......................I happen to love annoying players that also aren't very good..................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
She put together such a nice class so early last year it was quite impressive. They had their 4 player class by March 10.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is looking hard at JUCO post player Yemiyah Morris

She is 6'6. Plays for Cochise College in Arizona

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Brenda says the key to recruiting is to get there first:

She put together such a nice class so early last year it was quite impressive. They had their 4 player class by March 10.

That's modus operandi for Coach Frese. When it works, it works and you've got the basis of a team for several years. However, sometimes this might result in over-commitments ... and then come the inevitable transfers. The tradeoff does not seem to bother Brenda and/or her disciple in this approach, Coach Jeff Walz of Louisville, who was her main man in recruiting for many years before heading to Louisville.

Reaction Score
That's modus operandi for Coach Frese. When it works, it works and you've got the basis of a team for several years. However, sometimes this might result in over-commitments ... and then come the inevitable transfers. The tradeoff does not seem to bother Brenda and/or her disciple in this approach, Coach Jeff Walz of Louisville, who was her main man in recruiting for many years before heading to Louisville.

I suppose there's a middle ground.....................selectively developing an early relationship (not 7th grade early) on a really talented recruit or two seems to make sense....................it comes up often when recruits are asked how and why they chose a particular program................

Reaction Score

Other than working together, I don't see the similarity in recruiting styles. Louisville offers a huge swath of recruits while I do not see Maryland do the same. Louisville actually is not in as early as you would think with a lot of recruits, maybe because they are late to fill out their classes? I mean they were late to the game for Kapinus and some other bigger name players.

Louisville has more of a national recruiting operation, snagging players from California, Colorado, Texas, and now even Japan. Maryland seems to hone in on a regional approach on the east coast, like Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and maybe Ohio since joining the Big 10.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fun to go to Conn competitor's blog sites and see how recruiting styles and players match up. Louisville is impossible to get a fix on due to volume. Texas is interesting since they too have a large number of recruits, few that overlap with UConn, even those out of state. Most seem to focus on individual players and not UConn's dual interest in skills AND style/makeup.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She and her staff will contact players in their junior years...more or less. :rolleyes: I’ve heard stories from players who’ve gone elsewhere and their parents

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Other than working together, I don't see the similarity in recruiting styles. Louisville offers a huge swath of recruits while I do not see Maryland do the same. Louisville actually is not in as early as you would think with a lot of recruits, maybe because they are late to fill out their classes? I mean they were late to the game for Kapinus and some other bigger name players.

Louisville has more of a national recruiting operation, snagging players from California, Colorado, Texas, and now even Japan. Maryland seems to hone in on a regional approach on the east coast, like Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and maybe Ohio since joining the Big 10.

Hey there:
In between watching games (both guys and women) today, I just wanted to get back to you. My main point in similarity between both programs is in how early they go after prospects and wide they cast the net.

As per timing, the article on Brenda F says:
"According to a 2017 NCAA survey, 48 percent of Division I women's basketball players were first contacted by a college recruiter in the ninth grade or earlier, the highest rate of any sport, men's or women's."

The gist of the piece is that Frese likes to focus on specific individuals and get commitments early. To do they attend a lot of AAU events at the ages mentioned above. I've heard this directly from parents involved in AAU and from some buddies of mine who are staples in the AAU referee ranks.

Louisville is well known for researching and contacting prospects early and often. Their coaching staff make appearances at eastern events and do the same in other regions.

Now fishing with the net does not necessarily result in getting folks on the dotted line. Louisville, like a few other universities, didn't get a number of their targets last year. But they're out there.

Where They Recruit

Both Maryland and Louisville have presence in their state/nearby regions. You're right, Maryland does the I-95 commute, working Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, etc.
However, Maryland does venture further afield: their current roster has players from Florida, Georgia and Slovenia. And a look at prominent transfers shows they've recruited from North Carolina (Kiara Leslie), Georgia (Jen Staiti) and Idaho (Destiny Slocum). And it's worth noting, they are also going in the Paige Bueckers (Minnesota) derby.

The surprise might be that Louisville, in addition to ventures around the country, also stays close to home: there are 5 Kentuckians on the current roster, in addition to Georgia, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Colorado, to name a few states.

So, while some of the Cardinals' more prominent players come from around the country, I'll note that both teams will go after players, near and far.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched Rickea Jackson play today. She helped her team win it's third consecutive state championship. She scored 28 points and had five rebounds. She plays more under control then Griffin but does not seem to handle the ball as well or rebound as well. I saw nothing today that made me change my mind about Marshall. She has a lot of improving to do, imo.

Reaction Score
I watched Rickea Jackson play today. She helped her team win it's third consecutive state championship. She scored 28 points and had five rebounds. She plays more under control then Griffin but does not seem to handle the ball as well or rebound as well.
Rickea’s 28 came on an extremely efficient 11-16, which is more efficient than some of Aubrey’s numbers I’ve seen. While they are about the same height (Rickea is a little taller), I don’t think Rickea is as explosive as Aubrey, but I think Rickea has more moves at this current point in time. Rickea is on the better team with a few other highly ranked players.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ohio State found themselves a big girl in Europe.

If she can play anything like the big girl from Europe that played for the Buckeyes last year, Ohio State will be really pleased. Dorka Juhasz, the 6'3" forward from Hungary, led the team in scoring (11.7) and rebounding (9.0). With the bigs from Hungary and Slovakia joining three other returning frosh and an excellent recruiting 2019 recruiting class, this should be another interesting mix.

Reaction Score
@triaddukefan, what do you know about these Verhulst sisters? Mom played at Duke. 2020 Ashton just reopened her recruitment (originally K-State) and 2021 Payton is a top-10 G (maybe UConn good). Mom starred at Duke in late 80s early 90s.

Reaction Score
Not getting my hopes up. We seem to make a lot of top 10 lists but never actually get them. Its like window shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom