Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 103 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, Taylor Jones would have been a bug add for FSU, but Valencia Myers and River Baldwin are really good. Baldwin was a UCONN recruit which says something.

Aquino, Jones, Morris, Brown, and Corosdale would be one of the tallest, deepest front courts in the nation.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great pick up for Missouri. Just need a few post players to help them over the hump. They always seem guard and wing heavy.

Reaction Score
Someone from UO reported on the Oregon St. thread the Kennedy Brown has in fact chosen OSU. They also reported Shelley committed to UO a few days before that occurred. They were also salty enough to add “In what universe is she 6-6?”

Reaction Score
I hear she now wants to be a point guard...:rolleyes:

I am guessing that redshirt sophomore/Maryland transfer Destiny Slocum may have something to say about that. :)Oregon State has employed a three guard/two post line-up the past five+ years under Scott Rueck. The abundance of height now on the Beavers roster should make for some interesting line-up options for Rueck and company to experiment with during the next four years.

Reaction Score
If the leaked/insider info on Kennedy Brown's commitment to OSU is true, I can't remember a women's team with so much height in the front court. Their 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams will have a 6'3" 4, a 6'9" stretch 4, a 6'6" stretch 4, a 6'3" 5 and a 6'7" 5. Yikes! OSU will be set at the 4 and 5 positions for several years. To keep things rolling at a high level, they need to get a very good PG and a very good wing in 2020.....Clark?, Van Lith? Goforth?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the leaked/insider info on Kennedy Brown's commitment to OSU is true, I can't remember a women's team with so much height in the front court. Their 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams will have a 6'3" 4, a 6'9" stretch 4, a 6'6" stretch 4, a 6'3" 5 and a 6'7" 5. Yikes! OSU will be set at 4 and 5 positions for several years. To keep things rolling at a high level, they need to get a very good PG and a very good wing in 2020.
Yes but.... How many of these players can OSU put on the floor at the same time. I'm thinking 2 max because none of them can play on the perimeter and defend out there full time.

Reaction Score
Yes but.... How many of these players can OSU put on the floor at the same time. I'm thinking 2 max because none of them can play on the perimeter and defend out there full time.
No doubt 2 at a time will be max, but the substitution/rotation options are huge. Rueck likes to use a high low double post lineup. For more versatility, the coaches are apparently working on Morris's shooting and Aquino's down low back to bucket skills.

Reaction Score
that would be an awfully slow group.....a good transition team would run them ragged
Well, my understanding is the bigs are being taught-challenged to run the court like Gulich did...but getting them to her level is a big if.
EDIT: I have not seen Morris and Aquino play yet and Brown and Jones are a year away, so I don't know how slow or fast the group will be. However, substituting for a fatigued player won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Taylor Jones is very, very fast I believe. A cross country runner at 6’3” is impressive. Not sure about the others but I have seen Aquino run the floor, and slow wasn’t what I would use to describe it (it was just one play).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

It's the defense that would be a bit of an achilles' heel. As much promise as I think Aquino, Jones and/or Brown (if she truly commits to OSU) have, I don't see either of them defending a wing like, say, UConn's Megan Walker or ND's Jackie Young. (Brianna Turner of ND runs as well as any true post I've seen and she'd have trouble with Jackie Young on the perimeter.)

I know Scott Rueck is apparently still cementing his reputation as a post whisperer and Oregon State has a gorgeous campus and overall environment. However, if he sticks to his high/low approach, that's only two people at a time. If one wants PT at some point, this could get crowded. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Taylor Jones is very, very fast I believe. A cross country runner at 6’3” is impressive. Not sure about the others but I have seen Aquino run the floor, and slow wasn’t what I would use to describe it (it was just one play).

If "slow," wasn't the word, then what was it? The reason I ask is that I have seen her play in person on numerous occasions when she lived in New Jersey. Like many posts, she lopes. However, I have seen her get to rebounds from the top of the lane with a burst here or there.

In most instances, I don't know if they have to be fast per se. My concern with most post players is the ability to move horizontally to keep players from blowing by them on drives.. The "twitch" muscle, if you will.

If Taylor Jones ran cross country, that would be great for her endurance. My high school hoops coach loved it when players ran XC...put them a step up on aerobic conditioning.

Reaction Score

Aquino has undoubtedly improved since her NJ days but my daughter blew past her on numerous occasions and she's hardly a Crystal Dangerfield..............

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about any of these new recruits and their speed, etc. If you play for Rueck, as a post, you will learn to play defense, or sit. You will also learn to run the floor on offense, or sit. And lastly, you will learn how to set screens, and roll, or you will sit. I think the important point that was made in earlier posts on the future of OSU WBB, is that Rueck is building a deeper bench, which will give OSU flexibility to match up with opponents, game to game. Rueck has always played 10 or so through most of the season (freshman included), and tightens up the bench a bit as they move through the NCAA Tournament. I think the 2020 recruiting focus for Rueck will be guards.

Reaction Score
Brown claims she can guard on the perimeter, but Ive never seen her play, I’m not sure she can guard out on the perimeter in college but maybe she can, I think she can be almost as good of a passer as Dolson was. I’ve heard the plan is to move Aquino out to the wing, not sure how that will work out, I still think someone will be left unhappy when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Brown claims she can guard on the perimeter, but Ive never seen her play, I’m not sure she can guard out on the perimeter in college but maybe she can, I think she can be almost as good of a passer as Dolson was. I’ve heard the plan is to move Aquino out to the wing, not sure how that will work out, I still think someone will be left unhappy when all is said and done.
Acquino might play a "wing" like 6' 4" Taya Corosdale sometimes played because of her 3-point shooting. Taya is an inside/outside post player. Until I see Acquino play, it is hard to comment on how she will fit in to the OSU offensive/defensive schemes. OSU is not going to abandon long, quick, defensive guards who can also shoot the 3.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
another highly ranked recruit unhappy with comments from overenthusiastic fans

Pretty interesting read, primarily for Beal's candor about just the entire process, both from her end and the schools. In particular, I liked her capsules on each of the four contending schools. You can tell she knows players/other recruits at Louisville and South Carolina from AAU tourneys and it's obvious the Cardinals have been in touch with her for many years. Still, I get the impression this is a midwest girl and the B1G will be hard to get out her system. "Big fish" opportunity is Illinois but pressure might be a bit much. My gut: Michigan (still).

As per Duke dropping out of the picture: Duke did get commitments from two tall guards out of New Jersey (6'0" Jaida Patrick and 6'1" Azai Barnes), so maybe that position was filled up. But Beal is a top ten prospect......hmmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01