More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 5 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There are 4 ways to read this, if it is true:

1) If UConn wants to make more money, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
2) If UConn wants to be P5 someday, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
3) If UConn wants to save the hoops program, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
4) If UConn wants to de-emphasize football, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

There is no objective that UConn could have that would be more achievable by staying in the AAC vs. going to the Big East.

That said, the Rothstein article smells like clickbait to me.

LOL - nice to twist this to suit your agenda.

1) is true, but it is also likely capped.
2) is false.
3) is questionable, based on 2 being false
4) isn't a goal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still believe UConn has a chance to get into the ACC or the B!G. And I believe that putting UConn into the BE for bb eliminates the small chance remaining.
How big a chance? Based on what? I can't see a way for either to make money off it, absent ESPN suddenly deciding to be magnanimous.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
ESPN: Temple

CBS: SMU, Cincinnati

FOX: @ Georgetown

ESPN2: Chaminade, Oregon, Syracuse, Auburn, Houston, @ Memphis, @ SMU, @ Cincinnati, vs Memphis

ESPNU: Ok State, @ USF, Tulane, @ ECU

CBSSN: @ Houston, @ UCF, USF, ECU, Temple, UCF, @ Tulsa

BTN: @ Ohio State

SNY: Wagner, Northeastern, @ LMU, Boston U, North Florida
my point exactly, one nationally televised game on ESPN against powerhouse temple. That sounds about right for a program who has the most national championships since the turn of the century[/QUOTE]

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Oh I think it hurts. I think it hurts fan interest. Not winning enough affects that too, but the teams in the AAC hold almost no fan appeal apart from Cinci, and maybe Memphis and Temple. We certainly can't easily travel to road games.
I doubt very much the AAC can ever "leap" over the NBE, even if it can close the gap a bit.

That said, I can't support UConn doing anything that would damage football.
I was responding in relationship to program success not fan interest. There is a slight advantage by excitement level with more fans in the seats, but the numbers in attendance haven't dropped significantly enough to move that needle. The conjecture by some that it will is most certainly possible. But I believe that when UConn returns to its successful ways all this conversation will be moot.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that there is a value for establishing rivalries. UConn bb in the NBE would garner a definite uptick in fan support for UConn. The salient point imo is the one in which I think we're in agreement. The loss to the football program's potential with such a move would outweigh the definite gains in revenue the bb program would gain if it moved to the NBE. And yes I'm making a conjectural opinion football would be hurt.

Now if the AAC will keep UConn football, the NBE would get monies to sweeten the risk UConn would take by splitting bb and football I would most certainly go down that path. But those monies would have to be significant.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
"my point exactly, one nationally televised game against powerhouse temple. That sounds about right for a program who has the most national championships since the turn of the century"

@sammydabiz

How exactly do you equate that to one nationally televised game? Does CBS not count as a national network anymore? But sure lets pay $15m so we can play on the thriving national networks of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. :rolleyes:

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
How exactly do you equate that to one nationally televised game? Does CBS not count as a national network anymore? But sure lets pay $15m so we can play on the thriving national networks of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. :rolleyes:
ESPN bro, ESPN...... :rolleyes:

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
You edited your post after I posted my response.
Read my original post on the subject, I always referenced ESPN, but if you want to be that guy, go right ahead buddy

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
We need to think of men's basketball FIRST as that is the only program that earns a profit for UCONN. The football team is a drain on finances and even the women's program with all their success is 2.5 million in the red. We need to be proactive as that is the only way we would possibly be invited to a P-5 conference. We need to get Cinci onboard as I said repeatedly and make this a combo deal to the Big East for basketball to force both the AAC's hand and ESPN's to what they want to do regarding UCONN athletics and to a lesser extent Cinci's. For us its a win-win by playing in the BEAST a much better basketball conference top to bottom that would rival the ACC and football would still have a decent home. The money would be much better and higher as well.

This is the only way we are getting into a P-5 conference in all sports by forcing ESPN's hand via the BEAST and Fox to compel the ACC to accept us a full partner. If not so be it basketball will be saved and football will continue in the AAC. Let's stop the wishful thinking of wait and see approach as we have missed the realignment train 4 times if you include the Big 12 fake expansion. We are past the 3 strikes and your out.
Valid points. What are your thoughts on the exit fee? Cost of doing business.

Reaction Score
Is this a fact or speculation?
Fact.

From the "Response to Big 12 Due Diligence" PDF here, on page 19: Big 12 Records | University of Connecticut

iii. Willingness to consider a football-only membership and competitive plans for other sports programs in that scenario.

UConn would accept football-only membership, and subsequently would pursue membership in the Big East Conference for other sponsored sports currently competing in the American Athletic Conference (AAC).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If we look at the average seeding an AAC team receives for the tournament, then yes the AAC is not only hurting us but Cincy and smu as well. Hell look at L'ville and us in 2014, both were way under seeded (granted that helped us in 2014) but the fact remains that no one respects the american, and I doubt they ever will. When was the last time we played on ESPN? Instead we're relegated to espnu on Thursday or some obscure time on the wknd (No Big Mondays in our future)We get no national attention and neither does any team in our conf, no matter how well a team may be doing in the reg season. Before Cincy dropped a game to smu, they were left off the top 16 seeds..why?... My guess the AAC.

I respect your optimism, I just don't agree with it.
I respect your opinion and some of the others who disagree with me. I'm only presenting something for people to consider as opposed to insisting people agree with me. Half the time, as a moderator, I'm actually approving people's entry to this forum when they're debating me or worse.

I understand your point about the lack of respect which is why I'm arguing strongly about this issue. The P5 have a disproportionate power advantage to all the remaining universities. My entire thinking is predicated on the ability of UConn to get into a P5 conference. As things currently stand I don't think any non P5 conference will be relevant in twenty years and that includes the NBE. So the short term gain to the bb program, as significant as it may be, will be at the detriment to any P5 inclusion imo. As an aside, when I discussed not getting into the Big 12 with JSM, it was because of the same long term picture. The Big 12 is ready to collapse and UConn would be hurt by this collapse if it were to get a Big 12 invite if nothing else was in play. I think a strong AAC development along with getting the UConn men's bb and football programs to a state of success will be the best chance of getting an invite to either the ACC or the B!G which is where I'd like to see UConn land.

Now I'm approaching 70. The clock is ticking for me more than most of you young uns. You can be certain that I'm debating in my head the desire for immediate satisfaction over the long term satisfaction my scenario is considering. There's a possibility I may have sky box seats by the time that arrives. But I've always considered the long term in my evaluation process and will sacrifice short term happiness if I believe it negates long term success or if the long term success can end up with a significantly better outcome. Obviously the best case is short term and long term success. That's what I got when I met the gal I ended up marrying 42 years ago.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Oh I think it hurts. I think it hurts fan interest. Not winning enough affects that too, but the teams in the AAC hold almost no fan appeal apart from Cinci, and maybe Memphis and Temple. We certainly can't easily travel to road games.
I doubt very much the AAC can ever "leap" over the NBE, even if it can close the gap a bit.

That said, I can't support UConn doing anything that would damage football.
I don't have data but I would doubt the NBE is spending as much as the AAC with regards to bb facility improvements and coaching hires. And this is why I think the AAC will leap over the NBE in the future.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion and some of the others who disagree with me. I'm only presenting something for people to consider as opposed to insisting people agree with me. Half the time, as a moderator, I'm actually approving people's entry to this forum when they're debating me or worse.

I understand your point about the lack of respect which is why I'm arguing strongly about this issue. The P5 have a disproportionate power advantage to all the remaining universities. My entire thinking is predicated on the ability of UConn to get into a P5 conference. As things currently stand I don't think any non P5 conference will be relevant in twenty years and that includes the NBE. So the short term gain to the bb program, as significant as it may be, will be at the detriment to any P5 inclusion imo. As an aside, when I discussed not getting into the Big 12 with JSM, it was because of the same long term picture. The Big 12 is ready to collapse and UConn would be hurt by this collapse if it were to get a Big 12 collapse if nothing else was in play. I think a strong AAC development along with getting the UConn men's bb and football programs to a state of success will be the best chance of getting an invite to either the ACC or the B!G which is where I'd like to see UConn land.

Now I'm approaching 70. The clock is ticking for me more than most of you young uns. You can be certain that I'm debating in my head the desire for immediate satisfaction over the long term satisfaction my scenario is considering. There's a possibility I may have sky box seats by the time that arrives. But I've always considered the long term in my evaluation process and will sacrifice short term happiness if it negates long term success or if the long term success can end up with a significantly better outcome. Obviously the best case is short term and long term success. That's what I got when I met the gal I ended up marrying 42 years ago.
Cheers to you, here's hoping you and the rest of us can see UConn playing with the top of the sport(s) before we all have box seats up top.

Reaction Score
"my point exactly, one nationally televised game against powerhouse temple. That sounds about right for a program who has the most national championships since the turn of the century"

@sammydabiz

Well to be honest, if we were to join the NBE I would almost guarantee that we would have the most games on FOX on Weekends out of any team in that conference. By far. Every weekend we would have a FOX game. I have no qualms with FS1, its on most every cable lineup now for the people who pay for more than basic, and it has better called games than CBS Sports Network.

Reaction Score
I've reached the point in my UConn fandom where I'd rather see us play teams I care about instead of staying in this garbage conference in the hopes of a P5 scooping us. The ACC said no 3 times. The B12 did whatever they did. The B1G's stance regarding UConn is unclear. Let's go play against teams that matter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fact.

From the "Response to Big 12 Due Diligence" PDF here, on page 19: Big 12 Records | University of Connecticut

iii. Willingness to consider a football-only membership and competitive plans for other sports programs in that scenario.

UConn would accept football-only membership, and subsequently would pursue membership in the Big East Conference for other sponsored sports currently competing in the American Athletic Conference (AAC).

There is no question in my mind that we've had this discussion with the Big East. Our leadership would be irresponsible if they hadn't investigated every option.

It all comes down to the fact that I trust our leadership. I am convinced that Dave Benedict understand and appreciates the value of football, and know what will be critical to our future success, including the possibility of a P5 invite. So they won't do anything that they aren't convinced is in our interest. I suspect that they have facts that we don't have.

Reaction Score
1) If UConn wants to make more money, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

LOL... except the Big East isn't making any more money than the AAC.

2) If UConn wants to be P5 someday, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

So we're just making things up then? What is this based on? What team has ever gotten a P5 invite being independent that isn't called Notre Dame?

3) If UConn wants to save the hoops program, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

Sure, if you never want to make it into P5. I know Seton Hall and St. John's and Providence are sure living the life right now.

4) If UConn wants to de-emphasize football, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

Sure, but why is that a good thing?

Your plan is as idiotic as the first time you mentioned it on the CR board.

There may be legitimate reasons to move to Big East, but it's not gonna make us any money in the short term and it's not going to help us get into P5 long term. My only notion is that we've given up on P5 football and say this is the best we can hope for in basketball.

Reaction Score
I think the entire AAC media contract blows up if Cincy or Uconn leave if my memory from the last great realignment dance is foggy but correct. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Maybe Fox wants it all! We need the DUD and Flug to weigh in. Let's get this party started.

Reaction Score
I think the NBE will take us anytime we want - makes so much sense in every way for them. So I think the risk to our bball program by hanging out in the AAC until 2021(?) when another round of realignment may come, is outweighed by the benefit of keeping the P5 option alive, even if our chances are not great, since the NBE option should still be there.

But if we are sitting here in the AAC post the next round of realignment, I think it's an easy decision.

Reaction Score
The old BE foes would be great, but anyone selling this as a return to the old BE with little travel has never heard of Omaha, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago and, yes, Cincy, Ohio.

Yes but Texas and Oklahoma are further. I mentioned in another thread, they are like 1800 miles away, almost double (or more) nearly every BE school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom