More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 6 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

Reaction Score
Yes but Texas and Oklahoma are further. I mentioned in another thread, they are like 1800 miles away, almost double (or more) nearly every BE school.

Those are the 2 furthest schools. But Omaha is just as out of the way. Especially if there are stopovers. You can fly Hartford to Houston and Dallas direct. But can you get to Omaha? Once you're in the air, it doesn't really matter. Milwaukee or Tulsa. But at least with Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Tampa you are flying nonstop.

As I said the huge plus in the NBE is the old BE foes who are all nearby. Philly and Cincy obviously cancel each other out because both conferences have teams there, but having schools in NYC, RI and DC is a big plus for the BE.

Reaction Score
Since the move would not include football I figured we are talking about basketball. Butler is a way better basketball school with way more history, a famous arena, basketball crazed state, has been to two recent National Championship games and gets 4 or 5 times as many fans at their home games. Tulane doesn't have a basketball fanbase and their team is an abomination.

I figure people are fans of the school no matter what the sport.

We are talking about two niche fanbases, unaffiliated by state. Private schools essentially. And neither have their region to themselves, like say a Syracuse.

Reaction Score
The ACC said no 3 times. .

Not totally true. The ACC said yes, than the scum from BC stepped in, and they said no and the acc scooped up Pitt instead. I guess it is karma BC is so lousy now though. 2 wins in the acc this year, a big fat ZERO last year and less than 4 the year before that. They suck big time.

Reaction Score
my point exactly, one nationally televised game on ESPN against powerhouse temple. That sounds about right for a program who has the most national championships since the turn of the century
[/QUOTE]

First, ESPN2 is available in more homes than ESPN, so it's not a fringe channel. But second, UConn goes into the year with 13-16 games slotted for the big 4 channels (CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2). The ESPN/ESPN2 games are decided within a week or so of the game. This year, because of UConn's record, they've been sent more often to ESPN2. In the last couple of years, it was split between the two.

UConn's # of appearances on the premier channels is equal to the top 10 branded programs in the country. Compared to a mediocre P5 team like, say, NC State, UConn appears on these channels 3x as much.

There are 2 problems to UConn's national appearances, as many have pointed out.

1. Except for the CBS and Fox games, UConn and the rest of the AAC rarely get that prime featured game (ex. 7 o'clock game on Monday or Friday nights).

2. UConn is losing this year.

Reaction Score
UConn's goals align with AAC schools way more than Big East schools. The fact people are still harping on this idea....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn's goals align with AAC schools way more than Big East schools. The fact people are still harping on this idea...
It's a basketball centric forum. And even among the UConn centric posters there is a disagreement regarding the optimum course of action for UConn.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The ACC has 15 members (ND part time) if they go to 16 we have a chance of being invited. Which would put 8 teams in a northern division and 8 south. North consisting of UConn, Cuse, Pitt, L'ville, BC, ND, Virginia, Va Tech. Big 10 has 14 members, if they add UConn and Cincy(both state schools, Nwestern is the only private in Big 10) and have an East and West division. East is UConn, Rutgers, Penn St. Ohio St., Cincy, Maryland, Mich, Mich St. When Delany went after UMD and Rutgers it was based on TV ratings more than anything else. UConn qualifies on that basis. Long shots but worth working for in the next 5 years. I think NBE hoops only happens if UConn football gets a power5 invite(doubtful).

Reaction Score
Apparently it takes more than one bucket to put out some fires.
Notice this "denial" includes many points about how well we've done from a ratings and national championship perspective. Sounds more to me like a guy taking any opportunity he can to promote the things UConn brings to the realignment table and/or is indirectly negotiating with the AAC through the press. Not necessarily negotiating an AAC exit, but a clear shot to Aresco that you need us more than we need you so give us back our damn Tier 3 rights and get a good TV deal.

Reaction Score
Hopefully your AD's statement is true. The Big East and UConn do not mix.

You mean the New "Fake" Big East?

Because the BE can largely thank UConn for a good many things (like relevance post 1990, but also staying together in the first almost break-up).

Reaction Score
I've reached the point in my UConn fandom where I'd rather see us play teams I care about instead of staying in this garbage conference in the hopes of a P5 scooping us. The ACC said no 3 times. The B12 did whatever they did. The B1G's stance regarding UConn is unclear. Let's go play against teams that matter.

^This 1,000,000 times over. We aren't making a P5 anytime soon. Outside of Cinci (OBE), I could care less about our rivalries with the other bb programs in the AAC. I feel like we are in basketball purgatory. The NBE is so much more attractive for our bb programs than the AAC. Our football program (which I want the best for, but not at the expense of our bb programs) and college football in general, is what is holding our bread and butter (basketball) back. I want the ACC (P5), but as far as basketball goes, the NBE is a major upgrade from where we are now. Hopefully, RE2.0 can transform our football program, and make us attractive to the P5. It's gotta happen fast. Otherwise, our bb program is stuck in the wasteland that is the AAC.

Reaction Score
Read my original post on the subject, I always referenced ESPN, but if you want to be that guy, go right ahead buddy

You're just being silly. CBS, Fox, ESPN and ESPN 2 are all top tier outlets for our games in any conference. The only games this year not on national cable (the SNY games) were all total crap games.

Reaction Score
FWIW- I can tell you that many Nova folks say, "look - really miss those spirited games but UCONN has athletic interests now that are not the same as the Big East membership. That isn't a knock on the program , just a knock on the "fit". The hybrid situation was an issue before. And they have a big problem that isn't our problem to solve. BUT, they never ditched the big east. That means a lot to many Nova folks (we enjoy the shitshow that is BC). They aren't VaTech, BC or WVU. They got left behind in the mess. UConn hoops would be nice to have. Maybe- If fox really wants it, then its a good idea.. if not, that's cool too. But, call me when they figure out football. "

Reaction Score
Glad you created an account to get that off your chest.
Sorry, meant to quote this post. Rightly or wrongly most look at UConn as all Calhoun. The feeling is UConn will regress to pre-Calhoun levels. This appears to be starting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sorry, meant to quote this post. Rightly or wrongly most look at UConn as all Calhoun. The feeling is UConn will regress to pre-Calhoun levels. This appears to be starting.

Keep dreaming.

Reaction Score
They regressed quickly too.

A national championship post Calhoun.
With Calhoun's players. Anyway, not looking to start fires. Just adding some commentary. This is an underwhelming development, but, hey, it is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom