More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 4 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I hope by high school you are referring to their basketball arena, because Tulane is one of the better schools in the whole country.
My little brother went to Tulane. No one in NOLA cares about Tulane ball. No one at the school cares. Students only go to games when they have $1 beer nights.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I highly doubt that the Big East would confirm this but , we can all be hopeful.
I feel like I'm being a real *ick by arguing against the emotional preference of posters in this forum. I have a different long term outlook than you and others, but it doesn't mean I'm less passionate about the men's bb future success. It's my primary UConn focus even as I'm more likely than many in this forum to support other UConn sports.

If I felt there was zero chance of UConn getting into a P5 than I'd be all in on your hope. I'm not ready to concede that it is zero.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
But it also is a very low probability the BE needs or wants UConn.
??

Please elaborate, you think the big east couldn't benefit from UConn being a member? I beg to differ

ctchamps

Reaction Score
UConn makes a ton of sense for the Big East, if anything it's our investment into football that drives us away from them.

I'm with the camp that says DB has some grander scheme in the works.
Which is why I asked tcf if there is financial support by Fox for this. Because without getting a big upgrade in monies the BE does not want a football school to join them only to be concerned what happens if CR happens again. It's why they voted to separate from UConn, Cinci, and South Florida in the first place.

And UConn would have to have a sweetheart deal to do this similar to Boise. They would be taking a huge risk to split bb and football.

It certainly is possible Fox is making a move to go after ESPN, so I'll never say never. But without more evidence to support this I still can only base my opinions on what is known.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't believe we will get into a P5 conference before, the mid 2020,s or 2030. Until that time our basketball program will suffer and end up irrelevant. The only conference that will come calling then, will be the MAC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
??

Please elaborate, you think the big east couldn't benefit from UConn being a member? I beg to differ
As I pointed out to Rip, the Catholic schools voted to split from Cinci, UConn and South Florida because they did not want to have football schools who could end up leaving them in another round of CR talks.

Certainly a revitalized UConn men's bb program would help the conference. But the conference is doing well enough without UConn, so unless Fox is seriously upping the monies to incentivize the BE to take the risk I don't see the NBE going down that pathway.

Reaction Score
So let me throw something out there. Would the B1G go along with a six game football scheduling deal (we are already listed as P5 for the league) if we moved Hockey to the B1G? Gets a little more interesting now doesn't it?

LOL. The Big Ten is not going to push anything football related on its members to help hockey.

Reaction Score
Return to the BEAST let's make it happen my prognostication is coming to fruition. We should be looking to make it a package deal with Cinci to put the Big East on par with ACC and that will force the AAC to keep both programs for football only to save the conference. Wishing for the Big 10 or ACC or Big 12 to come knocking 10 years from now is wishful thinking at best. As a package deal not only will the Big East take us and force the AAC to keep both football programs, but ESPN will have a lot of things to think about like whether they will bid big money for the new BEAST or whether they will use their leverage to get us into a P5 conference. Either way we will be the winners in this.

PS: MAKE UCONN BASKETBALL GREAT AGAIN RETURN TO THE BEAST.

Devine "coming to fruition" please. Because you apparently have no clue what that phrase actually means.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't believe we will get into a P5 conference before, the mid 2020,s or 2030. Until that time our basketball program will suffer and end up irrelevant. The only conference that will come calling then, will be the MAC.
Why do you think the AAC is hurting UConn? Cinci hasn't struggled. SMU hasn't either. The conference is almost at the point of becoming relevant in basketball. Now that the effect of the UConn APR sanctions are nearing an end I expect over the next year or two (more likely two because of the injury impacts) to see UConn at the top of the league and when that happens I expect the AAC will leap over the NBE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL. The Big Ten is not going to push anything football related on its members to help hockey.

I didn't say it would. I said that if it did, I suspect UConn moving hockey would be part of the deal. It's still unlikely. There is at least something in it for the B1G.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Third post and already negative. I'm relatively new and I don't think I went negative until at least my fourth post. We won a NC in the AAC and we can do it again. Have faith brother.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why do you think the AAC is hurting UConn? Cinci hasn't struggled. SMU hasn't either. The conference is almost at the point of becoming relevant in basketball. Now that the effect of the UConn APR sanctions are nearing an end I expect over the next year or two (more likely two because of the injury impacts) to see UConn at the top of the league and when that happens I expect the AAC will leap over the NBE.

Oh I think it hurts. I think it hurts fan interest. Not winning enough affects that too, but the teams in the AAC hold almost no fan appeal apart from Cinci, and maybe Memphis and Temple. We certainly can't easily travel to road games.
I doubt very much the AAC can ever "leap" over the NBE, even if it can close the gap a bit.

That said, I can't support UConn doing anything that would damage football.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If we look at the average seeding an AAC team receives for the tournament, then yes the AAC is not only hurting us but Cincy and smu as well. Hell look at L'ville and us in 2014, both were way under seeded (granted that helped us in 2014) but the fact remains that no one respects the american, and I doubt they ever will. When was the last time we played on ESPN? Instead we're relegated to espnu on Thursday or some obscure time on the wknd (No Big Mondays in our future)We get no national attention and neither does any team in our conf, no matter how well a team may be doing in the reg season. Before Cincy dropped a game to smu, they were left off the top 16 seeds...why?.... My guess the AAC.

I respect your optimism, I just don't agree with it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are 4 ways to read this, if it is true:

1) If UConn wants to make more money, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
2) If UConn wants to be P5 someday, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
3) If UConn wants to save the hoops program, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
4) If UConn wants to de-emphasize football, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

There is no objective that UConn could have that would be more achievable by staying in the AAC vs. going to the Big East.

That said, the Rothstein article smells like clickbait to me.

H

huskymagic

We need to think of men's basketball FIRST as that is the only program that earns a profit for UCONN. The football team is a drain on finances and even the women's program with all their success is 2.5 million in the red. We need to be proactive as that is the only way we would possibly be invited to a P-5 conference. We need to get Cinci onboard as I said repeatedly and make this a combo deal to the Big East for basketball to force both the AAC's hand and ESPN's to what they want to do regarding UCONN athletics and to a lesser extent Cinci's. For us its a win-win by playing in the BEAST a much better basketball conference top to bottom that would rival the ACC and football would still have a decent home. The money would be much better and higher as well.

This is the only way we are getting into a P-5 conference in all sports by forcing ESPN's hand via the BEAST and Fox to compel the ACC to accept us a full partner. If not so be it basketball will be saved and football will continue in the AAC. Let's stop the wishful thinking of wait and see approach as we have missed the realignment train 4 times if you include the Big 12 fake expansion. We are past the 3 strikes and your out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need to think of men's basketball FIRST as that is the only program that earns a profit for UCONN. The football team is a drain on finances and even the women's program with all their success is 2.5 million in the red. We need to be proactive as that is the only way we would possibly be invited to a P-5 conference. We need to get Cinci onboard as I said repeatedly and make this a combo deal to the Big East for basketball to force both the AAC's hand and ESPN's to what they want to do regarding UCONN athletics and to a lesser extent Cinci's. For us its a win-win by playing in the BEAST a much better basketball conference top to bottom that would rival the ACC and football would still have a decent home. The money would be much better and higher as well.

This is the only way we are getting into a P-5 conference in all sports by forcing ESPN's hand via the BEAST and Fox to compel the ACC to accept us a full partner. If not so be it basketball will be saved and football will continue in the AAC. Let's stop the wishful thinking of wait and see approach as we have missed the realignment train 4 times if you include the Big 12 fake expansion. We are past the 3 strikes and your out.

Great post.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You answered your own question.
LOL wise guy. I should have prefaced it as becoming relevant even to the skeptics in this forum. But time will tell who is right because I seriously doubt UConn is going to the BE. Four years from now you and I can revisit this and admit who was correct.

And should I be wrong and UConn does go to the NBE, even though I think it is a mistake, I'd support the move.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
When was the last time we played on ESPN? Instead we're relegated to espnu on Thursday or some obscure time on the wknd (No Big Mondays in our future)We get no national attention and neither does any team in our conf, no matter how well a team may be doing in the reg season.

ESPN: Temple

CBS: SMU, Cincinnati

FOX: @ Georgetown

ESPN2: Chaminade, Oregon, Syracuse, Auburn, Houston, @ Memphis, @ SMU, @ Cincinnati, vs Memphis

ESPNU: Ok State, @ USF, Tulane, @ ECU

CBSSN: @ Houston, @ UCF, USF, ECU, Temple, UCF, @ Tulsa

BTN: @ Ohio State

SNY: Wagner, Northeastern, @ LMU, Boston U, North Florida

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member