More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 3 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

Reaction Score
I don't understand why UConn couldn't keep football in the AAC. Obviously the AAC would have to agree to it but who would they get to replace us.

H

huskymagic

Return to the BEAST let's make it happen my prognostication is coming to fruition. We should be looking to make it a package deal with Cinci to put the Big East on par with ACC and that will force the AAC to keep both programs for football only to save the conference. Wishing for the Big 10 or ACC or Big 12 to come knocking 10 years from now is wishful thinking at best. As a package deal not only will the Big East take us and force the AAC to keep both football programs, but ESPN will have a lot of things to think about like whether they will bid big money for the new BEAST or whether they will use their leverage to get us into a P5 conference. Either way we will be the winners in this.

PS: MAKE UCONN BASKETBALL GREAT AGAIN RETURN TO THE BEAST.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
So let me throw something out there. Would the B1G go along with a six game football scheduling deal (we are already listed as P5 for the league) if we moved Hockey to the B1G? Gets a little more interesting now doesn't it?

I've been thinking this is our best route to at least some B1G scheduling arrangement if we can't get full membership going forward. The B1G hockey conference can't survive with 6 teams and they're adding Notre Dame next year since the ACC doesn't sponsor hockey. UConn hockey has been surprisingly decent since it got promoted to the big show so would be great to leverage that into at worst a couple game scheduling agreement for football and basketball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Old article. I'm sure WSU is much more interested in the AAC, considering that the basketball is far less of a dumpster fire than the MWC.
Point is they don't have football but are exploring the feasibility of getting it back. They'd be attractive to the AAC and hence no need for the AAC to keep UConn in football only.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've been thinking this is our best route to at least some B1G scheduling arrangement if we can't get full membership going forward. The B1G hockey conference can't survive with 6 teams and they're adding Notre Dame next year since the ACC doesn't sponsor hockey. UConn hockey has been surprisingly decent since it got promoted to the big show so would be great to leverage that into at worst a couple game scheduling agreement for football and basketball.

It wouldn't be worth it to move hockey from HE while playing in the AAC. But the B1G needs a hockey team like ours. So if we were considering going independent in football, we'd need a scheduling deal, and that might be enough to get one.

Reaction Score
4th best is a tie between AAC and B12? Huh?

The AAC is a wasteland for all sports.

The whole league only had 3 4 * football recruits for 2017. Aresco is a total clown referring this as P6.

1 bowl win in 6 games. And basketball is a bigger joke. 2 ok teams and 2 average and 7 other jokes.

The best bb option for UConn is the ACC. The second best is the B!G. The third best is the NBE. The fourth imo is a toss up between the Big 12 and the AAC. Playing Kansas, Texas, West Virginia plus whatever X team surfaces to the top (this years Baylor for instance, KState a few years back) is certainly preferable to playing Cinci, Memphis, Temple and Houston. But not enough imo to deal with the politics that takes place in that conference. UConn would never get a fair shake with the way that conference is set up. The monies would alleviate that considerably. But I'd prefer improving the AAC to increase future revenue streams than having a marriage with Texas. And I don't think the improvement necessary to accomplish this will be that difficult.

I still believe UConn has a chance to get into the ACC or the B!G. And I believe that putting UConn into the BE for bb eliminates the small chance remaining.

The funny thing is that had UConn been successful the past two seasons in OOC play it is possible that the AAC's RPI in these two seasons could have been significantly better. The conference hasn't let UConn down. Just the opposite. The APR sanctions not only hurt UConn but had a ripple effect on the conference.

Reaction Score
It is serious. Butler is ranked. They have national interest. BUT, how many fans does this school have? Tulane has a long history, once an SEC school, and it has football. I don't know that it doesn't have more fans than Butler. Seems to me that it would. Bigger school too.
Since the move would not include football I figured we are talking about basketball. Butler is a way better basketball school with way more history, a famous arena, basketball crazed state, has been to two recent National Championship games and gets 4 or 5 times as many fans at their home games. Tulane doesn't have a basketball fanbase and their team is an abomination.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
4th best is a tie between AAC and B12? Huh?

The AAC is a wasteland for all sports.

The whole league only had 3 4 * football recruits for 2017. Aresco is a total clown referring this as P6.

1 bowl win in 6 games. And basketball is a bigger joke. 2 ok teams and 2 average and 7 other jokes.
A very heavy qualified tie. Which I explained and you conveniently chose to ignore it for the obvious point which I stated but failed to elaborate. Getting into that conference would have all the jeopardy that was in place just before the OBE became the NBE. That conference is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
They clobbered us in the first game back with Marcus Williams: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - January 3, 2006 - ESPN
Tight game in a season we hit a free-fall: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - January 10, 2007 - ESPN
We won easy, but it was a Top 10 showdown: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - February 25, 2009 - ESPN
We lost on a last second shot: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - January 30, 2010 - ESPN
Hoop on the wrong basket in OT: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - February 24, 2011 - ESPN
OT: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - January 1, 2013 - ESPN

There were other tight or close games that weren't as significant.
UConn-Marquette gave us this, for one thing

Reaction Score
True if the assumption the B12 breaks up in next 7-8 years

But I still think the remnants of the b12 + UConn, Cincy, Houston, etc is still 10,000x better than the current AAC

A very heavy qualified tie. Which I explained and you conveniently chose to ignore it for the obvious point which I stated but failed to elaborate. Getting into that conference would have all the jeopardy that was in place just before the OBE became the NBE. That conference is a time bomb waiting to go off.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
True if the assumption the B12 breaks up in next 7-8 years

But I still think the remnants of the b12 + UConn, Cincy, Houston, etc is still 10,000x better than the current AAC
Could be. But the present is no indicator of the future.

And this is why the only compelling reason for me to have UConn join the NBE is the geographical rivalry with PC, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall and St. Johns. But for all the touting of success in the NBE there is a decent probability, imo, that Memphis, Houston, Cinci, Temple and UConn will elevate to top twenty teams and the current successful teams in the NBE will fall to the level of St. Johns.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We do not want this to happen if football is in a downgraded situation.
Speak for yourself man, UConn bball has slowly been wasting away in the AAC, we need the beast!!!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
NO WAY is UConn going to split up FB and BB. Those who are not fans of UConn football can dream but it ain't gonna happen. SH didn't hire didn't hire AD David Benedict from Auburn to downgrade the football program (leaving the AAC for anywhere but a P5 is a downgrade) or to move it's bball program The plan is to get into a P5 in all sports and UConn will lose all of it's appeal if it's two biggest program are separated.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
0% chance the Big East would EVER confirm talks between them and UConn before an announcement of a move was made. The Big East's comment is absolutely meaningless.
Which is why I led off with the statement it could be plausible deniability. I'm well aware how this works.

But it also is a very low probability the BE needs or wants UConn.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Which is why I led off with the statement it could be plausible deniability. I'm well aware how this works.

But it also is a very low probability the BE needs or wants UConn.
UConn makes a ton of sense for the Big East, if anything it's our investment into football that drives us away from them.

I'm with the camp that says DB has some grander scheme in the works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom