More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 9 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I used to really pull for all the Big East teams and frequent their boards all the time. I especially liked 'Nova as a secondary team when they ran that four-guard lineup. But without a doubt, their fans had the most hatred for UConn of any of the boards I used to go visit. Never really understood why. So I'm sure that we are in a different conference, they like us even less, if that's possible.

I miss the Big East but living in Florida, (UCONN is a National Brand as I have never lived in the Northeast but been a fan since 1994) football drives the only buses so whatever we do, have to protect football. Hoping we can get a solution where we move hoops and keep football in AAC but obviously difficult.

MSG 2002 Big East Tournament 2OT win against Pitt. Taliek hits the 35-40 footer with time running out on shot clock. I was behind that basket with my son courtesy of a Villinova fan. Had money stolen earlier that day. Didn't have enough remaining to buy two tickets for that game.

This guy from Nova was selling two tickets face value. I went up to him wearing my UConn sweatshirt and hat, explained my situation and told him I would send him a check if he gave me the tickets and his address.

Who the heck does that. He did. The result was my son and I celebrated that evening. And yes I sent him a check. His buddies told him he was crazy and he probably was.
But sometimes the world is better than we think.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On what grounds? I don't see how you could stop it if the big schools just left the NCAA, and started their own organization.

Congress could...and probably would, stop it. They know this. Why do you think there is a non P5 playoff spot? It's as far as they could go. I've said it before, they can't split off unless they dramatically increase the number of schools in the pool. In particular, state universities, who have Senators and Congressmen who would not look kindly to their permanent relegation to lower status.

Each school is a competitor to every other school in the athletics market. Some have come together, in conferences, and those conferences compete with each other. At present, the P5 has "market power", at the very least in the market for college football. They need to tread very carefully here, or they will find their cartel (and it is a cartel) broken up.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Rothstein doesn't matter, Nova fan doesn't matter, UConn administration matters, and they have decided to go all in on FBS football. AD David Benedict's letter might seem to some like "thou doth protest too much" but I think it was more "perish the thought" because UConn hoops to the NBE isn't going to happen in the near future. Might there come a day when UConn gives up D1 football. Sure. But it won't happen until well into the next decade. So we ride wit da AAC and have faith SH and DB can deliver the goods. Btw, I'm a hoops guy and would rather see UConn in the NBE. So, I'm not knocking those who would want us in the NBE. The administration has a different vision which they think is best for the University and I'm going to let them give it their best shot.

Reaction Score
Do you happen to have a link or documentation to support this claim?

Look, I am sorry I am injecting some friction into your plan to hang out in the Big East until a better offer comes along. No one is afraid of UConn. Virtually every Villanova person I know respects UConn, values the rich tradition of our leagues glory days, but, also recognizes that in this day and age nothing is for certain. Going forward UConn is a liability for the Big East. Both on the court and with the schools clearly stated desire to land in a power 5 conference.

Sorry moderators, thanks for letting me stop by. I will move on.
I think it's a fair take. Why would NBE allow uconn to temporarily park its programs there without some gain.

It's not in either programs best interest right now.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 9s10 seconds ago
UConn AD David Benedict: “There is no truth to rumors & reports UConn has had discussions with the Big East for possible membership”

You want a lawyer's view of that quote? Of course there have been no discussions about "possible" membership. UConn would only engage in discussions about actually being a member.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
But honestly, what does that give the Big East? You guys would always have one foot out the door.
Better TV ratings and more leverage with Fox or whomever during the next round. Established rivals and better attendance. The foot's only going to be out the door if there is a door. Based on the way things are going with ESPN and plummeting viewership, it may not make sense for ACC or B1G to add any teams again - hence maybe no door. It's all hypothetical, but there is definitely benefits for both sides.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If get deported to G5 Limbo after the split, I'd rather beat up on Villanova twice a year than Tulane.

But if we're fortunate enough, I think all of us (even you Nova Nick) would rather see us beat up on Syracuse twice a year. Let's hope the stars align and trust the administration to get us there.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Remember how there was all this talk before about UConn going to the Big East... and then we put our Women's Lacrosse team there? Wow those were the days. Maybe we're finally adding a Men's Lacrosse team? :D

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
UConn is very unique. In the perfect storm, they have 3 fan bases that often don't intertwine, and great pain from being a realignment loser.

Our rivals like Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, & MD all received a golden parachute with minimal overall sports success.
We want regional rivals &/ or more cash for the school. Currently we're not achieving much of either. UConn will need to fix that.

Reaction Score
You want a lawyer's view of that quote? Of course there have been no discussions about "possible" membership. UConn would only engage in discussions about actually being a member.
It also does not rule out the (likely) scenario that there were backchannel discussions through intermediaries on both sides so that both the Big East and UConn could make these statements while technically telling the truth.

Reaction Score
I love the fans of the new Big East acting like UConn would be an underwhelming addition.

Fox is bleeding money from their deal with the BE, so that price tag is going down the next time their contract is up. Our women's team is a bigger draw than basically all their programs, so it's hilarious how much these bozos are pretending they don't need UConn.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I love the fans of the new Big East acting like UConn would be an underwhelming addition.

Fox is bleeding money from their deal with the BE, so that price tag is going down the next time their contract is up. Our women's team is a bigger draw than basically all their programs, so it's hilarious how much these bozos are pretending they don't need UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
that's a long statement for a denial lol
Nah, AD Dave knows that the denial will be widely circulated so he threw in a plug for the university. So far, I like him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

But the fact that there are posters (UConn fans) on here that are actually agreeing with them!! It's like...where were you guys when we literally dominated the greatest conference of college athletic history?? Under a rock??

Reaction Score
Football program is nothing but TRASH!!!! All it has done is help take down a top notch basketball program. If UConn can get back to BIG EAST you can make UConn football an intramural sport. Such an unwatchable boring product, people only go to tailgate. Cash me at XL Tonight!!!!!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Football program is nothing but TRASH!!!! All it has done is help take down a top notch basketball program. If UConn can get back to BIG EAST you can make UConn football an intramural sport. Such an unwatchable boring product, people only go to tailgate. Cash me at XL Tonight!!!!!
This should end up going really well.

Reaction Score
Um Creighton has made the NCAAT 3 times in the last decade. They have finished in the top 20 three times in their program history and have only entered the top 20 6 times in the last FORTY years.

Do people realize basketball has been played for longer than a few years?

One might conclude that joining the BE has increased Creightons fortunes on the court.

Reaction Score
Congress could..and probably would, stop it. They know this. Why do you think there is a non P5 playoff spot? It's as far as they could go. I've said it before, they can't split off unless they dramatically increase the number of schools in the pool. In particular, state universities, who have Senators and Congressmen who would not look kindly to their permanent relegation to lower status.

Each school is a competitor to every other school in the athletics market. Some have come together, in conferences, and those conferences compete with each other. At present, the P5 has "market power", at the very least in the market for college football. They need to tread very carefully here, or they will find their cartel (and it is a cartel) broken up.

Congress would not stop it. Every Senator and House Rep from a P5 state would risk political suicide. Could you see a congressman or congresswoman from Fl, AL, MI, VA, TX, etc. getting in the way?

Reaction Score
Every year when the brackets came out, I thought the NBE was always over seeded and I was bored at work so I did some research.

Since the league has been established (3 years) 15 NBE teams have made the tournament. 7 have under performed seed, while only 2 (Nova Natty being one and the other was Xavier 2015 who got to play two double digit seeds) over performed. These two have also been there only 2 sweet sixteen teams.

The fact that they "underwhelmed" by adding UConn is hilarious considering the performance above. We could certainly help out their tournament performance, given our history.

Furthermore our old BE dregs (Prov. SH, and SJ) have been able to each make the tournament in the 3 years of existence (Prov x3, SH x1, SJ x1), yet in the last 10 years of the OBE (03-13) the three of them combined made the tournament 3x (1 each).

Don't know what that proves but thought it was interesting.

Reaction Score
This is just a rag website quoting the Rothstein article from the other day, which we already discussed. We do not want this to happen if football is in a downgraded situation.
Though the move in all sports except football to the NBE has some good things about it, it is not the right time to even consider it. This is not the time to be rocking the boat. Makes HCRE's job that much more difficult. This article also is basically calling DB a liar, after the recent tweets. DB knows what he's doing, I'm confident in that. If he says we're staying 100% in the AAC for the time being, that's good enough for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom