More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 8 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

pj

Reaction Score
Yikes dude. When people stereotype UConn fans as smug knownothings who think MCBB started in 1990, this is why. Nova guy thinks he is being low-key with his subtle trolling but I think that was still a bit much.

UConn and Villanova have nearly identical historical won-loss records. Nova is 1710-919 (.650), UConn 1664-921 (.644).

Reaction Score
UConn and Villanova have nearly identical historical won-loss records. Nova is 1710-919 (.650), UConn 1664-921 (.644).

Andddddddd we have how much more success when it matters? (BE Championships, NC's....) looks like some of you belong on the Nova board instead of here.

pj

Reaction Score
Andddddddd we have how much more success when it matters? (BE Championships, NC's...) looks like some of you belong on the Nova board instead of here.

Only idiots think that in order to root for their team, they have to dis every other team. Greatness comes from defeating worthy rivals. Sports are most enjoyable when opponents respect one another, not when they regard one another with bile and contempt.

Reaction Score
What else is there to add? Everything is based off of speculation at this point. Fox has the money and will have a heavy hand in deciding. It is a no brainer for UConn, not so much the Big East. The league is fine without UConn. Add your team is just another mouth to feed.
You clearly have no clue how this works, do you? Adding a team that generates better ratings should result in more money per team not "another mouth to feed". Do you think adding Uconn to a league where they have a perfect geographic fit and historic rivalries generates more or less interest than say, Marquette or DePaul?

Your argument that the BE will exclude Uconn based on fit made little sense, but at least is possible. The argument that the BE is better financially without UConn is impossible.

Reaction Score
Only idiots think that in order to root for their team, they have to dis every other team. Greatness comes from defeating worthy rivals. Sports are most enjoyable when opponents respect one another, not when they regard one another with bile and contempt.

thanks for that....inspiration, you still didn't answer my question

Reaction Score
1) If UConn wants to make more money, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.
2) If UConn wants to be P5 someday, joining the Big East for all sports but football is the best option.

The Big East has been there, done that, with hybrids and schools biding time. Thus, thoughts like the above and uncertain future performance make the nature of this news underwhelming.

What happens IF nova upgrades it's football to D1-A like they have talked about in the past. Do you tell the big east you most resign or do you stay and just be an exception to the rule

Reaction Score
I know the best option would be in P5 conference but I'm not going to wait forever for that to happen. I truly believe that if the ACC, B!G, or B12 really wanted us they would have taken us already. What if one of them open up an invitation again and decides to turn us down again? Then what? We say "maybe next time"?? We don't have time to wait. If we have no chance of joining one of them then I would say going back to the BE would be the best option.

I would rather jump before the AAC falls apart. We all know that Cincy is trying to get out of the AAC. Once they manages to get out then we would be in trouble. If Big 12 open up a spot I feel they would choose Cincy over us. I'm not a fan of the current schools in the conference. My passion isn't what it used three ago.

We have had a lot of success in the BE and I think it would be great to resume rivalries with Villanova, Providence, Georgetown, Seton Hall, and St. John's. it's great geography wise and I would love to travel back to those arenas. I don't mind playing against Marquette once again. Despite the travel I believe the school has a bright future. DePaul?...I don't know how their program still exist. I wish the BE could remove that school somehow.

Despite the travel I think Butler, Xavier, Creighton are great additions and all are heading in the right direction. They are all ranked in the top 25 right now. Xavier was a top dog in the A10 years and they have carried their success to the BE. Creighton has one of biggest arena in college basketball and their fans are crazy for hoops including Warren Buffet. Butler went to the National championship game two years in a row when they had Brad Stevens and are still going strong today. They beat Villanova this season and so did Marquette. Then they both lost to Providence. It shows how competitive the BE is. I miss that feeling. If the BE send us an invitation I would take it. It's the best option we got going. Hopefully we can find what best for the football program.

Reaction Score
I'm all for football's success and all, but any, all and literally every concern football has is secondary to preserving and sustaining the basketball program(s) success. I mean literally if it comes down to what's best for football or basketball, for UConn- it should always be basketball first.

If UConn hoops to the Big East is what's better and best for the hoops program, then you figure out football later. I know it's a novelty around here, but Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and a lot of schools are not only fully functioning institutions, but they're schools people want to go to. And amazingly enough, FBS football isn't included in the view book. Shocking, I know.

Reaction Score
What happens IF nova upgrades it's football to D1-A like they have talked about in the past. Do you tell the big east you most resign or do you stay and just be an exception to the rule

Villanova has settled where it is. Villanova is NOT actively seeking membership in another league purely for football with basketball coming along for the ride. Not even remotely in the cards.

Reaction Score
You clearly have no clue how this works, do you? Adding a team that generates better ratings should result in more money per team not "another mouth to feed". Do you think adding Uconn to a league where they have a perfect geographic fit and historic rivalries generates more or less interest than say, Marquette or DePaul?

Your argument that the BE will exclude Uconn based on fit made little sense, but at least is possible. The argument that the BE is better financially without UConn is impossible.

Ok, and how lucrative is the American deal again? The deal that UConn supposedly enhances so significantly that they would be a gold mine for the Big East?

Also, never said the Big East is better without UConn. I think adding UConn will have a negligible effect.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm all for football's success and all, but any, all and literally every concern football has is secondary to preserving and sustaining the basketball program(s) success. I mean literally if it comes down to what's best for football or basketball, for UConn- it should always be basketball first.

If UConn hoops to the Big East is what's better and best for the hoops program, then you figure out football later. I know it's a -ing novelty around here, but Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and a lot of schools are not only fully functioning institutions, but they're schools people want to go to. And amazingly enough, FBS football isn't included in the view book. Shocking, I know.
but do they have a chance of getting into a P5? Will they get invited when the P5s break up and then combine together/ break away from the ncaa? Will their programs be able to function at that point

Reaction Score
I believe our best choice is patience here. I know that sounds painful because living in the AAC is the definition of "pain". There's still a chance the B!G or the ACC make a move to shake things up again someday. I'm banking on it. I'd like for UConn to be a choice when that goes down.

Lot of "Ifs" in joining the NBE for us. I'd prefer to see UConn tread water as long as possible before jumping on that life raft.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of us are freaking out about the AAC because of how bad our team has been this year. We are worried about the UCONN brand being deflated by the conference but it is not the conference dragging this team down. Say we played to expectations this year - both the Big East and AAC would have the same amount of top 25 teams and we would be pointing out how Houston is much improved and on the rise, while Memphis and Temple are extremely young and will return to form (even UCF looks to have something decent). The Big East is deeper, no doubt. And the AAC will continue to be top heavy as long as we are stuck with dregs like ECU and Tulane and USF but there shouldn't be much of a difference at the top, provided we get our together. The mindset of the board has changed so much on this topic in the past 12 months and I think a lot of this thinking is short sighted. This problem isn't the conference, it is the performance.

Reaction Score
but do they have a chance of getting into a P5? Will they get invited when the P5s break up and then combine together/ break away from the ncaa? Will their programs be able to function at that point
Honestly all of all of that is speculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculationspeculation

Five years ago did anyone see ESPN's revenues beginning to flag the way they are? Ten years ago did anyone see CTE as starting to rip into youth football participation? More schools are dropping football than adding, now.

And does a completely below average/mediocre team even save you in that circumstance or even improve your chances measurably?

The point is - they still have a little time - but if they don't do something sooner rather than later, the hoops team will falter, eventually. And you'll have a mediocre hoops team to go along with your mediocre football team - both playing in a mediocre conference.

Reaction Score
That is Rothstein's website and it's not the same article. This one is saying the Big East (aka FS1) would take all UConn sports (obviously not hockey or FB). As a FB season ticket holder I don't want them to go to a lesser league than the AAC but the status quo is not going to suffice. We need to force ESPN's hand here to decide if they want to keep UConn's rights (more money to UConn by whatever means necessary) or let FS1 take another valuable property.

Ever hear of cutting off your nose to spite your face? No? Well this post is it!

H

huskymagic

Valid points. What are your thoughts on the exit fee? Cost of doing business.

The exit fee is a cost of doing business. That money will more than be made up by increased revenues from the new BEAST and more money from the NCAA as well as increased ticket sales for attendance to games. The exit fee is the least of the administration's concern if they are serious about a move. I fully believe that Cinci would be onboard with joining us in a move and if that happens the AAC will have very little if any leverage over us. We cant keep allowing ESPN to make huge profits at our expense while the Washington States, Northwesterns, Wake Forests, and Boston Colleges of the world keep raking in 25-40 million a year and playing against good competition. We have to put them in an uncomfortable position to decide once and for all if they value us then they will tell the ACC to accept us and it will happen overnight no doubt it in my mind, if not then FOX gains a great asset at ESPN's expense.

Reaction Score
With Calhoun's players. Anyway, not looking to start fires. Just adding some commentary. This is an underwhelming development, but, hey, it is what it is.

Daniels was a frosh under Calhoun, hardly played. Boatright had 3 years under Ollie. Giffey was a role player. Shabazz's best 2 years were under Ollie. All these guys developed under Ollie, not Calhoun.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No one would be worried if there was a guarantee that the status quo would hold. In that case, UConn would already be BE bound. The worry comes from the real possibility that the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world, who are the ones truly in charge of big time college sports, might decide that the much discussed time has finally come, for them, and their brethren to divorce themselves from the small programs that they see as leeches, sucking the blood of the schools who truly generate all of the revenue (their opinion, not mine). If this happens, and you are not P5, you will be relegated to mid majordom, and this includes the BE. UConn, and the other major G5 programs fear this, which is why they're desperate to receive the upgrade, which they know won't come if they downgrade football. If you think being in the AAC sucks, imagine being in a situation where your league has limited, or even zero access to the big boy postseason tournament.
Can you say anti-trust lawsuit?

Reaction Score
Ok, and how lucrative is the American deal again? The deal that UConn supposedly enhances so significantly that they would be a gold mine for the Big East?

Also, never said the Big East is better without UConn. I think adding UConn will have a negligible effect.
Actually you kind of did - another mouth to feed is someone who doesn't pull their own weight. It's clear from your posts you prefer sweeping generalizations, here are a few actual facts for you to choke on.

UConn / Georgetown drew over 7ook viewers for 2 bad teams this year. Let's compare that to a recent Georgetown game against your average BE team, say Seton Hall. Same noon start time drew 81k. Not perfectly comparable given Uconn/Gtown was on Fox not FS1, but indicative. Get it now?

UConn to the Big East?

Kentucky-Florida, Iowa State-Kansas, Ohio State-Michigan hoops top cable sports TV ratings for Saturday February 4, 2017

pj

Reaction Score
I believe our best choice is patience here. I know that sounds painful because living in the AAC is the definition of "pain". There's still a chance the B!G or the ACC make a move to shake things up again someday. I'm banking on it. I'd like for UConn to be a choice when that goes down.

Lot of "Ifs" in joining the NBE for us. I'd prefer to see UConn tread water as long as possible before jumping on that life raft.

The AAC contract is up for renegotiation soon and UConn has to create options, else it has no negotiating leverage.

UConn needs to carve out some sort of special media deal because it is bringing most of the AAC's media value.

Maybe the AAC is better for us than Big East - football indy or Big East - football AAC, but let's see them prove it with dollars.

Reaction Score
I used to really pull for all the Big East teams and frequent their boards all the time. I especially liked 'Nova as a secondary team when they ran that four-guard lineup. But without a doubt, their fans had the most hatred for UConn of any of the boards I used to go visit. Never really understood why. So I'm sure that we are in a different conference, they like us even less, if that's possible.

I miss the Big East but living in Florida, (UCONN is a National Brand as I have never lived in the Northeast but been a fan since 1994) football drives the only buses so whatever we do, have to protect football. Hoping we can get a solution where we move hoops and keep football in AAC but obviously difficult.

Reaction Score
Do you happen to have a link or documentation to support this claim?

Look, I am sorry I am injecting some friction into your plan to hang out in the Big East until a better offer comes along. No one is afraid of UConn. Virtually every Villanova person I know respects UConn, values the rich tradition of our leagues glory days, but, also recognizes that in this day and age nothing is for certain. Going forward UConn is a liability for the Big East. Both on the court and with the schools clearly stated desire to land in a power 5 conference.

Sorry moderators, thanks for letting me stop by. I will move on.

On the court?? You know jealous posters from Nova used to come over and say that every couple of years after a national championship.

It was like clockwork.

UConn would have a bad season.

Nova fans hows up: it's over for UConn.

National championship in the next 2 years.

You guys are a broken record.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He is kind of right..NOT as big a no brainer as u think. in a way, the big east folks OFTEN reference the like minded goals and interests of its members as a significant part of its success. So, fit IS important. And folks may be underwhelmed because the football issue isn't resolved...so, the Covo is useless chatter.

I guess the big east residents would say..Looking forward---Why is it a no brainer? Why isn't fit a real consideration?

You know what would be helpful? If Villanova could get off it's ass and go FBS for football so we can add you to the American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom