More Fuel to Big East Fire | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

Reaction Score
So, we hire Edsall, the first Edsall2 recruiting class is looking good, we're in the 6th bestfootball conference, and--we're going to dump it all?

I'm all for playing Villanova and Georgetown and St. John's and Providence too--but I don't find playing Butler and Marquette and Creighton all that more thrilling than playing Cincy and SMU and Memphis.

The old BE foes would be great, but anyone selling this as a return to the old BE with little travel has never heard of Omaha, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago and, yes, Cincy, Ohio.

Reaction Score
This is just a rag website quoting the Rothstein article from the other day, which we already discussed. We do not want this to happen if football is in a downgraded situation.
That is Rothstein's website and it's not the same article. This one is saying the Big East (aka FS1) would take all UConn sports (obviously not hockey or FB). As a FB season ticket holder I don't want them to go to a lesser league than the AAC but the status quo is not going to suffice. We need to force ESPN's hand here to decide if they want to keep UConn's rights (more money to UConn by whatever means necessary) or let FS1 take another valuable property.

Reaction Score
This. If we could keep football in the AAC for the time being, this would be okay. If--as is most likely-- we can't, then this wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm still not convinced the AAC wouldn't be willing to do this. What are the AAC's most valuable football properties from a viewership standpoint? Navy, Houston, Cincy, then who? Probably between us and Memphis. We are certainly more valuable than any school that they would hope to replace us with . . .

Even if the deal is that we have to play a few teams out of conference in hoops it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, we hire Edsall, the first Edsall2 recruiting class is looking good, we're in the 6th bestfootball conference, and--we're going to dump it all?

I'm all for playing Villanova and Georgetown and St. John's and Providence too--but I don't find playing Butler and Marquette and Creighton all that more thrilling than playing Cincy and SMU and Memphis.

The old BE foes would be great, but anyone selling this as a return to the old BE with little travel has never heard of Omaha, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago and, yes, Cincy, Ohio.
All of those cities mentioned sound a hell of a lot better than Greenvile, NC, Tulsa, northern Dallas, Houston, and a high school in New Orleans.

I agree though if this requires demoting football to Indy, MAC, or CUSA it's absolutely not worth it. If we can remain in the AAC as FB-only that'd be ideal. MWC as a FB-only would be an interesting thought as they're competitively on par, though travel would be awful.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is Rothstein's website and it's not the same article. This one is saying the Big East (aka FS1) would take all UConn sports (obviously not hockey or FB). As a FB season ticket holder I don't want them to go to a lesser league than the AAC but the status quo is not going to suffice. We need to force ESPN's hand here to decide if they want to keep UConn's rights (more money to UConn by whatever means necessary) or let FS1 take another valuable property.

Everything includes football. So they can't take us in everything. There are only two ways this happens in my opinion.
1. The AAC lets football stay
2. Fox Sports gets us a scheduling arrangement with the Big Ten and Big XII for football, with perhaps 6 games (3 home 3 away) every year. That would allow us to make Independent football work. Prestige wise, I think it would be a boost to the program.

Reaction Score
Everything includes football. So they can't take us in everything. There are only two ways this happens in my opinion.
1. The AAC lets football stay
2. Fox Sports gets us a scheduling arrangement with the Big Ten and Big XII for football, with perhaps 6 games (3 home 3 away) every year. That would allow us to make Independent football work. Prestige wise, I think it would be a boost to the program.

The chance of #2 happening is approximately 0% . . .

Reaction Score
All of those cities mentioned sound a hell of a lot better than Greenvile, NC, Tulsa, northern Dallas, Houston, and a high school in New Orleans.

I agree though if this requires demoting football to Indy, MAC, or CUSA it's absolutely not worth it. If we can remain in the AAC as FB-only that'd be ideal. MWC as a FB-only would be an interesting thought as they're competitively on par, though travel would be awful.

Totally disagree.

Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis are AT LEAST the equivalent of Bumfudge, Indiana, Omaha, etc. Chicago is great. Cincy and Milwaukee hold no special advantage over Cincy and Houston or Dallas.

Regardless, the NBE is better because of Providence, Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's. That is the draw.

I just don't like to hear the travel or argument or the array of great games that will fill up the XL Center.

We used to play DePaul and Marquette after all. It's not like we've never been in a conference with them, and there was no extra juice for those games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So you called the bast school in the AAC (including UConn), and the one with probably the nicest campus...a high school?

Reaction Score
Im sure the acc is shaking in its boots over this... ;)

Honestly, is it possible for uconn to go indy for football? If not, why not? Sure you dont get the guarantee bowl games but maybe that is overrated.

You lose your access to decent recruits and you become UMass. You don't want to go down this road.

Reaction Score
I will raise one thought here, still not convinced I think it is a good idea for us to move to the Big Eat if we can keep football where it is.

If the money in the Big East is far in excess of what we're getting today in the AAC for football and hoops, would the AAC keep our football in if we played for free? Maybe under that scenario they wouldn't feel the need to kick us out.

I don't think playing football in the AAC but keeping the TV rights to our home football games would work, because that would almost certainly need ESpn's permission and why would they help Fox get us in hoops.

Reaction Score
You lose your access to decent recruits and you become UMass. You don't want to go down this road.

Well umass just graded up right? At least you guys had some successful years in the past.

Reaction Score
Heres an issue though, every other sport besides fball and bball and title ix issues. Do they come into play?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if anyone from the UConn AD or coaching staffs of bb were among the "so called multiple sources" in the first paragraph of this article.

Anything's possible but it's more likely that some fans or alums are the sources. Then Rothsteiin approaches the BE and gets one person to state that the BE would be interested in UConn and we're off to the races.

Reaction Score
So you called the bast school in the AAC (including UConn), and the one with probably the nicest campus..a high school?
In terms of how many people care about it in New Orleans and how much attention it gets nationally? Yeah, Tulane is a high school.

Reaction Score
I will raise one thought here, still not convinced I think it is a good idea for us to move to the Big Eat if we can keep football where it is.

If the money in the Big East is far in excess of what we're getting today in the AAC for football and hoops, would the AAC keep our football in if we played for free? Maybe under that scenario they wouldn't feel the need to kick us out.

I don't think playing football in the AAC but keeping the TV rights to our home football games would work, because that would almost certainly need ESpn's permission and why would they help Fox get us in hoops.

No doubt that it would blow up the current AAC contract, but any renegotiation would have to compare AAC football with UConn with AAC football with [fill in replacement school with no actual TV viewers]. I think both parties [AAC and ESPN] would prefer the former. I'm sure that UConn would get only a fractional share.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom