More Fuel to Big East Fire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Fuel to Big East Fire

Reaction Score
I recall a number of high intensity UConn-Marquette games, far more than we've had against any current AAC teams other than Memphis/Cincy/SMU.

Huh. I only remember 1.

Maybe it's just me, but it's just as well we play Temple.

Again--the NBE clearly has the advantage because of the Old Old BE teams. Love to play them again. I just don't see the draw in the others. I mean, Butler and Xavier are clearly excellent teams, but just the thought of buying tickets to those games doesn't warm me up much.

Reaction Score
In terms of how many people care about it in New Orleans and how much attention it gets nationally? Yeah, Tulane is a high school.

How many people do you think care about Butler? Compared to Tulane?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Im sure the acc is shaking in its boots over this... ;)

Honestly, is it possible for uconn to go indy for football? If not, why not? Sure you dont get the guarantee bowl games but maybe that is overrated.

If im uconn, big east bball indy football > aac

Because the only Independent program that has a lucrative TV deal is Notre Dame. UConn would have to negotiate their own broadcasting rights and if you think the AAC contract stinks, just think about what CPTV would offer for UConn football.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All of those cities mentioned sound a hell of a lot better than Greenvile, NC, Tulsa, northern Dallas, Houston, and a high school in New Orleans.

I agree though if this requires demoting football to Indy, MAC, or CUSA it's absolutely not worth it. If we can remain in the AAC as FB-only that'd be ideal. MWC as a FB-only would be an interesting thought as they're competitively on par, though travel would be awful.
I hope by high school you are referring to their basketball arena, because Tulane is one of the better schools in the whole country.

Reaction Score
Likeliest scenario is we don't go anywhere. That being said, it doesn't hurt to get the media coverage in order to make higher negotiations with Aresco down the line (a la Tier 3 rights, media deal). Kind of like the Big 12 did to get a pay raise from ESPN for doing absolutely nothing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is this a serious question? Way more people care about Butler basketball than Tulane basketball.

Yes. And way more people care about and have heard of Tulane University, than Butler. Name recognition matters, however it is achieved.

Reaction Score
Is this a serious question? Way more people care about Butler basketball than Tulane basketball.

It is serious. Butler is ranked. They have national interest. BUT, how many fans does this school have? Tulane has a long history, once an SEC school, and it has football. I don't know that it doesn't have more fans than Butler. Seems to me that it would. Bigger school too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The best bb option for UConn is the ACC. The second best is the B!G. The third best is the NBE. The fourth imo is a toss up between the Big 12 and the AAC. Playing Kansas, Texas, West Virginia plus whatever X team surfaces to the top (this years Baylor for instance, KState a few years back) is certainly preferable to playing Cinci, Memphis, Temple and Houston. But not enough imo to deal with the politics that takes place in that conference. UConn would never get a fair shake with the way that conference is set up. The monies would alleviate that considerably. But I'd prefer improving the AAC to increase future revenue streams than having a marriage with Texas. And I don't think the improvement necessary to accomplish this will be that difficult.

I still believe UConn has a chance to get into the ACC or the B!G. And I believe that putting UConn into the BE for bb eliminates the small chance remaining.

The funny thing is that had UConn been successful the past two seasons in OOC play it is possible that the AAC's RPI in these two seasons could have been significantly better. The conference hasn't let UConn down. Just the opposite. The APR sanctions not only hurt UConn but had a ripple effect on the conference.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

This supports my impression this is a Rothstein generated controversy. But I'm not a fan of zags so I'll wait for other articles supporting my contention.

Reaction Score
This supports my impression this is a Rothstein generated controversy. But I'm not a fan of zags so I'll wait for other articles supporting my contention.
The headline of the Zags article is from a Big East spokesperson, which is kind of what you'd expect him to say, especially if his name is going to be attached to the quote. However, buried in that Zags article is basically a confirmation of Rothstein's article:

One league source also told ZAGSBLOG the two sides have had talks.

“They have been exploring the possibility and there is strong mutual interest,” the source said. “As for timing, I can’t say but it’s definitely real. The biggest challenge is what do with football.”

Reaction Score
It would be a short sighted move as the bball tv money down the road is not going to be any better and likely dwindling so abandoning fball would likely condemn it to death or div. 2.

Reaction Score
Huh. I only remember 1.

Maybe it's just me, but it's just as well we play Temple.

Again--the NBE clearly has the advantage because of the Old Old BE teams. Love to play them again. I just don't see the draw in the others. I mean, Butler and Xavier are clearly excellent teams, but just the thought of buying tickets to those games doesn't warm me up much.
They clobbered us in the first game back with Marcus Williams: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - January 3, 2006 - ESPN
Tight game in a season we hit a free-fall: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - January 10, 2007 - ESPN
We won easy, but it was a Top 10 showdown: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - February 25, 2009 - ESPN
We lost on a last second shot: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - January 30, 2010 - ESPN
Hoop on the wrong basket in OT: Marquette vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - February 24, 2011 - ESPN
OT: Connecticut vs. Marquette - Game Recap - January 1, 2013 - ESPN

There were other tight or close games that weren't as significant.

Reaction Score
They're also top 20 every year creighton too. Also playing the garden for St. John's and the tourney
Um Creighton has made the NCAAT 3 times in the last decade. They have finished in the top 20 three times in their program history and have only entered the top 20 6 times in the last FORTY years.

Do people realize basketball has been played for longer than a few years?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Um Creighton has made the NCAAT 3 times in the last decade. They have finished in the top 20 three times in their program history and have only entered the top 20 6 times in the last FORTY years.

Do people realize basketball has been played for longer than a few years?
But how have they been doing this past few years as not a name brand school?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The headline of the Zags article is from a Big East spokesperson, which is kind of what you'd expect him to say, especially if his name is going to be attached to the quote. However, buried in that Zags article is basically a confirmation of Rothstein's article:

One league source also told ZAGSBLOG the two sides have had talks.

“They have been exploring the possibility and there is strong mutual interest,” the source said. “As for timing, I can’t say but it’s definitely real. The biggest challenge is what do with football.”
Fox must be offering a big change in monies to the BE and separately to UConn for UConn to be considering this. Does UConn have enough leverage with the AAC to get them to approve a football only arrangement? Where else could UConn park football? The MWC?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The chance of #2 happening is approximately 0% . . .

So let me throw something out there. Would the B1G go along with a six game football scheduling deal (we are already listed as P5 for the league) if we moved Hockey to the B1G? Gets a little more interesting now doesn't it?

Reaction Score
But how have they been doing this past few years as not a name brand school?
Bad, NIT last year, 14-19 the year before that. You are way over inflating creighton basketball, they are not even close to a top 20 team every year.

They had a once in a generation type player for them, and he left 4 years ago, and their best finish with him was ranked 16th. This was also their best year in forty years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom