Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 864 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

It would be hilarious if Clemson and FSU spent a boatload of money to get out of the ACC because of the revenue gap just to go to another conference with a slightly smaller revenue gap.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt Florida State would get interest from the Big Ten, in fact, other than Notre Dame, I'd assume Florida State & UNC are the one, two picks of the Big Ten (or SEC for that matter); and probably the only two schools who may come close to bringing in enough revenue to pay for their addition.

I don't think Clemson's attraction to either conference in nearly what Florida State's is and each year that they are remain in the good, not great range (as they were last year and much of the pre-Dabo era) they only become less attractive. Essentially Clemson needs to get out now (which is why I think they filed the lawsuit rather than let Florida State spend the money to find out what the cost will be and follow that path), because there is a real risk they could be left out of the top two if they aren't one of the first to leave.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That was a few years ago.

Things have changed.
Yeah, that was so many years ago.

Please refresh my memory, when exactly was BYU' first game as a member of the B-12?

Reaction Score
If Clemson and FSU are Big 12 bound, all of this makes no sense.
An ACC as currently comprised, plus scheduling agreement with ND would be superior to Big 12.

Plus, this whole thing is based on getting to equality with other P2 programs. So why would they join a league that Tx and Ok just left?

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson I think are not leaving to the Big 12, that would make no sense on their part, they'd be jumping ship to a conference that is on par with the ACC, even in revenue.

Reaction Score
If Clemson and FSU are Big 12 bound, all of this makes no sense.
An ACC as currently comprised, plus scheduling agreement with ND would be superior to Big 12.

Plus, this whole thing is based on getting to equality with other P2 programs. So why would they join a league that Tx and Ok just left?
True, and after 20+ years of Uconn getting screwed I try not to play this CR guessing game anymore. I don't believe the Uconn/Big 12 stuff anymore than the last time( Uconn as a ploy ?), but maybe as an ACC backfill if this was true, FWIW,

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 tv deal doesn’t start until 2025-26 so could also be re-negotiated to a higher payout assuming Clemson and FSU join

People acting like it makes no sense I think are missing the bigger picture.. Big 12 as an intermediary step for Clemson and FSU to getting to the B1G/SEC makes sense for a ton of reasons. If the current option is really to stay until 2036 in the ACC, even moving to the B12 until the B1G/SEC media deals expire again at the end of the decade increases their path by 6 years into one of those leagues.

From a Big 12 perspective, getting Clemson and FSU ensures they’re the “other” power conference and probably is enough to buy them time to be migrated into whatever break off the B1G and SEC have planned. And from the B1G/SEC perspective, they don’t have to worry about being caught up in a huge legal battle with the ACC to get these two teams if and when they finally decide they want them.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen or should happen or any of that, but there’s reasons outside of just short term tv revenues to do so. In a world where Cal and Stanford are in the ACC, TCU, Boise State and San Diego State signed up to play in the Big East, etc, it’s not insane to think Clemson and FSU would spend ~3-5 years in the B12 as a stop gap given the current situation and interests for all parties involved.

Reaction Score
True, and after 20+ years of Uconn getting screwed I try not to play this CR guessing game anymore. I don't believe the Uconn/Big 12 stuff anymore than the last time( Uconn as a ploy ?), but maybe as an ACC backfill if this was true, FWIW,

Why was he so reluctant to do this for Texas and Oklahoma?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 tv deal doesn’t start until 2025-26 so could also be re-negotiated to a higher payout assuming Clemson and FSU join

People acting like it makes no sense I think are missing the bigger picture.. Big 12 as an intermediary step for Clemson and FSU to getting to the B1G/SEC makes sense for a ton of reasons. If the current option is really to stay until 2036 in the ACC, even moving to the B12 until the B1G/SEC media deals expire again at the end of the decade increases their path by 6 years into one of those leagues.

From a Big 12 perspective, getting Clemson and FSU ensures they’re the “other” power conference and probably is enough to buy them time to be migrated into whatever break off the B1G and SEC have planned. And from the B1G/SEC perspective, they don’t have to worry about being caught up in a huge legal battle with the ACC to get these two teams if and when they finally decide they want them.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen or should happen or any of that, but there’s reasons outside of just short term tv revenues to do so. In a world where Cal and Stanford are in the ACC, TCU, Boise State and San Diego State signed up to play in the Big East, etc, it’s not insane to think Clemson and FSU would spend ~3-5 years in the B12 as a stop gap given the current situation and interests for all parties involved.
Do the math. It's not going to work when you have payouts to the ACC. No matter the higher payout in the B12. And the B12 would encumber them on the backend.

Especially now that the B12 has a zillion members in it.

Why would Colorado or Arizona or Utah agree to their buy-in while Clemson is given heaps of money more? And Clemson isn't going to sign a GOR or have huge exit fees?

None of that makes any sense.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson end up in the B12 that tells me a few things:

First, I know a hell of a lot less about college athletics than I thought I did.

Second, the leadership in the ACC is totally inept.

Third, the B12 made a brilliant strategic move with a viable attempt to keep the BiG and SEC from owning college athletics. It may not work, but it was a brilliant and bold move.

That all said, I don't think the BiG or SEC let FSU get away.

Reaction Score

LOL. like I said "if this was true, FWIW.... "Which usually isn't much on 99% of most of these CR posts that've been going on since the Miami, Va tech, BC moves started this stuff on the Rivals Boneyard year ago. But an ACC implosion might help Uconn.

Since Billy Bud also posted it in the non key tweetes , I'm surprised it hasn't been removed yet, Medic ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s possible that UVA and UNC are 1/2. If I’m b10 I’d take 4 and also grab GTech and FSU. If ND wants in they will figure it out.

This seems like such an obvious play to me to dominate the eastern seaboard- Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland, UVA, UNC, GT, FSU. It's incalculable how many people live in that region. It's a great combination of major markets, flagship universities, existing B1G alumni living there and easy travel.

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson end up in the B12 that tells me a few things:

First, I know a hell of a lot less about college athletics than I thought I did.

Second, the leadership in the ACC is totally inept.

Third, the B12 made a brilliant strategic move with a viable attempt to keep the BiG and SEC from owning college athletics. It may not work, but it was a brilliant and bold move.

That all said, I don't think the BiG or SEC let FSU get away.
I want FSU in the SEC just to hear snippets about their ego clashing with Texas. Those two alone have more ego than entire countries.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I want FSU in the SEC just to hear snippets about their ego clashing with Texas. Those two alone have more ego than entire countries.

Texas is about 3 "whole 'nother level" of ego above FSU.

Reaction Score
Texas is about 3 "whole 'nother level" of ego above FSU.

I don't know. Watch FSU's antics after not being selected for the CFP last season and then their performance in the Orange Bowl suggests a pretty special level of arrogance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom