Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 866 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
I don't see the $20 offer for one year of Peacock. I only see $59.99 for the year, or $5.99 per month, and that's with ads. Guess I'll be piecemealing yet another subscription service, this time from January through March.
$20 was an introductory rate through Roku.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
FYI on free Peecock if you are an Xfinity customer...

I activated mine about 6 months ago when I was poking around in Xfinity Rewards page in my Xfinity dashboard.

Peacock Premium promotional offers​

EligibilityOffer
New and existing Xfinity Internet customers who subscribe to Gigabit or higher speed serviceYou can receive Peacock Premium at no additional cost for two years.*
  • To verify your Peacock Premium activation status, go to xfinity.com/activate-peacock and log in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  • After two years, Peacock Premium will terminate unless you elect to continue receiving the service.
Diamond or Platinum tier Xfinity Rewards members with any level of Xfinity Internet
Note: Silver and Gold tier Xfinity Rewards customers aren’t eligible to redeem the offer.
You can redeem a reward to receive Peacock Premium at no additional cost.*
  • Sign in to xfinity.com/rewards to take advantage of this offer.
  • You’ll then receive an email with instructions on how to activate your offer.
  • It may take a couple hours to receive the email.
NOW TV customersYou can receive Peacock Premium included as part of your service.*
New customers with Xfinity Internet and an X1 TV Box, Flex streaming TV Box, or a Xumo Stream Box from XfinityYou can redeem an offer to watch Peacock Premium at no additional cost for six months.
  • Open the Peacock app on your X1 TV Box, Xumo Stream Box, or Flex streaming TV Box to redeem this offer.

Reaction Score
Pretty much all of the folks badmouthing The Rent don't go to games.
That's not true at all. Especially considering that the students who go to games would much rather walk than take a bus.

USF has a much better stadium situation than UConn but has chosen to make the investment and build a new on-campus stadium. Yeah, NFL stadiums aren't ideal because colleges don't sell them out. But big picture, it's a much better situation in Tampa than we have in East Hartford. AAU and a new stadium. That's progress.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's not true at all. Especially considering that the students who go to games would much rather walk than take a bus.
Please point out the students who have been badmouthing the Rent on this board.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know any students but I do remember reading a few posts by students who said it's awful.
Very weak. You disagree with me citing students then you say you don't know any. The students were there when we were in a decent league.

Reaction Score
I don't know any students but I do remember reading a few posts by students who said it's awful and going to East Hartford is the problem. Is it your contention that students in Storrs would rather waste a couple hours getting to and from East Hartford than enjoy a football game on campus? I don't think any student would agree with that. That is just a given.

check that, I searched for you...

The Rent was pretty awesome at it's peak from 2007-2011 and that's coming from someone that was making the bus trip. The atmosphere in and outside the stadium was fantastic for students, alums, and fans.

The only negatives were 1) the bus ride itself was a time suck for students, but the student section was still full anyway so hardly a negative other than people's time, but 2) because of the bus, students left after the 3rd quarter most of the time to get back to campus and beat the bus line.

The problems are obvious and have already been stated here: the team needs to win, and not just win, but be good, which hasn't been the case in 13 years, and beat recognizable opponents (separate discussion that's been litigated 1,000x).

Secondarily, though, student habits around sports are not the same as they were a decade ago or even 5 years ago. Even if the team was just pretty good, I question how likely they'd actually go into the stadium.

I'm not going to act like I know the modern student that well, but anecdotally it feels like today's class of students at UConn are more studious and choosy of how to spend their time. "Why spend 6 hours in East Hartford to watch a 7-5 football team, when I can just spend 3 hours in a parking lot partying then go home." Then the supposed shutting down of much student tailgating post COVID doesn't help the situation either and further dissuades students from making the trip at all.

Anyway this is much ado about nothing in my opinion since I do not see a world where a stadium is built on campus unless something dramatically shifts and I'd give it like a <5% chance.

It took UConn Men's Basketball winning not 1, but 2 national championships back to back for the State and Athletic Department to get serious about renovating Gampel and I'm still unsure how substantial the changes will be. That's the type of mountain you are talking about climbing here.

I can second that. The entire experience felt disconnected from the college atmosphere. The setup seemed geared more toward the general public than the student body, especially now that students are crammed into the far reaches of the red lot.

I'm not saying it wasn't exciting at times, but overall, it lacked the campus experience. Even in victory, the excitement never carried over to the campus community. Getting off the bus or parking back on campus always felt very anticlimactic.

I was at UConn at the height of football success. I completely agree about losing the college atmosphere. It felt like I was off to watch a AAA baseball game or something. The bus ride is just too long. By the time you get there a lot of the hype is lost.

A college sports event should first and foremost cater to the college students. It's for them first and the community second.

Reaction Score

-> University of Virginia President James E. Ryan will serve as the league’s Chair of the Board of Directors for the second year of his two-year term. He will be joined by Wake Forest University President Susan R. Wente as the Vice-Chair of the league’s Board of Directors, announced by the Board of Directors following the annual winter meetings in February…

… The Conference’s Executive Committee will include Ryan, Wente, Boston College President William Leahy, University of Miami Chief Executive Officer and Acting President Joe Echevarria, University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Joan Gabel, and Georgia Institute of Technology President Angel Cabrera. <-

Reaction Score

-> University of Virginia President James E. Ryan will serve as the league’s Chair of the Board of Directors for the second year of his two-year term. He will be joined by Wake Forest University President Susan R. Wente as the Vice-Chair of the league’s Board of Directors, announced by the Board of Directors following the annual winter meetings in February…

… The Conference’s Executive Committee will include Ryan, Wente, Boston College President William Leahy, University of Miami Chief Executive Officer and Acting President Joe Echevarria, University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Joan Gabel, and Georgia Institute of Technology President Angel Cabrera. <-

Jim Ryan may be one of the best university presidents in the nation. UVA is lucky to have him.

Reaction Score

I imagine having the BC President on that committee eliminates UConn from joining the ACC in the event of a shakeup. I also believe that Miami and Georgia Tech also were opposed to UConn in the past.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I know it goes without saying but look who’s not on the board (or what schools are not represented).

Reaction Score
I imagine having the BC President on that committee eliminates UConn from joining the ACC in the event of a shakeup. I also believe that Miami and Georgia Tech also were opposed to UConn in the past.
What power do these presidents have above the ones not listed? Also I thought I read it’s on a rotating basis.

Reaction Score
USF is not remotely comparable to UConn vs an on Campus Stadium
It has many more students ( 50k) on campus than UConn but that almost irrelevant. Its campus is located in Tampa close to the greater metro area . So building an on campus stadium doesn’t make it more difficult for their non student fans . Face it Storrs is a brutal place to get to for the majority of the state’s population . The access roads are clogged for 10,000 at Gambel. I could not even imagine the nightmare of 40,000 at a football game . . I went to a BB game there last year with my grandson who lives in the Middletown area and it took us an hour with that traffic
His comment was why didn’t they build this campus in the Hartford area . My reply was that would have made to much sense,
I understand the land was donated Or extremely cheap
The reality is without substantial infrastructure improvement an on campus stadium is insane.

Reaction Score
It has many more students ( 50k) on campus than UConn but that almost irrelevant. Its campus is located in Tampa close to the greater metro area . So building an on campus stadium doesn’t make it more difficult for their non student fans . Face it Storrs is a brutal place to get to for the majority of the state’s population . The access roads are clogged for 10,000 at Gambel. I could not even imagine the nightmare of 40,000 at a football game . . I went to a BB game there last year with my grandson who lives in the Middletown area and it took us an hour with that traffic
His comment was why didn’t they build this campus in the Hartford area . My reply was that would have made to much sense,
The reality is without substantial infrastructure improvement an on campus stadium is insane.
A whole hour?

Reaction Score
I feel for ya. I just looked up Middletown to Storrs and it says it's a 43 minute drive. That means an additional 17 minutes was tacked on to an approximately 40 mile drive. That's a huge sacrifice, the travesty.

Reaction Score
I believe the ACC Board of Directors includes 18 members representing all 18 Universities. I would assume everyone gets one vote but it is the ACC, so who knows. Maybe ND only gets a 75% share vote.

Reaction Score
Traffic and parking are problems at every campus on game days/nights, whether urban or rural. Some are better than others, but none is perfect. It's a given that high volumes of traffic exiting major arteries over a relatively short time span are going to clog lesser ones enroute to a single destination. We've all experienced delays and backups when construction activity obstructs a lane and obliges motorists to merge onto what remains open. And so, you need multiple wider pathways leading to more dispersed multiple parking areas in surrounding areas to spread impacts over a larger area or entice earlier arrivals over a greater interval of time (by improving the tailgating experience, for instance). Design and analysis of alternatives might be a worthy exercise for civil engineering undergrads. Turn them loose on it and see what kinds of ideas they generate.

Reaction Score
Lets go easy an @AZHuskiePop , he's a good poster, but yeah making a big deal about an hour in traffic for a sporting event, is lol funny. Those of us that have gone to Foxborough for a Pats game in the snow, know traffic. I personally can't do those types of games anymore. Prefer to watch on tv now. Went to Rams/Ravens this year in Baltimore, which was probably the game of the year in the NFL and i couldn't wait for it to end before it even kicked off.

Reaction Score
A whole hour?
From Middletown 30 or so miles away ! ..
The point is Storrs is a logistics problem especially for most of the Ct population centers. If you were an established power not a big deal. We will drive yo NY or Boston but we’re not the Red Sox or Yankees.
if your going to spend $100 million on a stadium without infrastructure improvements you wasting the tax payers money .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom