Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 865 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 tv deal doesn’t start until 2025-26 so could also be re-negotiated to a higher payout assuming Clemson and FSU join

People acting like it makes no sense I think are missing the bigger picture.. Big 12 as an intermediary step for Clemson and FSU to getting to the B1G/SEC makes sense for a ton of reasons. If the current option is really to stay until 2036 in the ACC, even moving to the B12 until the B1G/SEC media deals expire again at the end of the decade increases their path by 6 years into one of those leagues.

From a Big 12 perspective, getting Clemson and FSU ensures they’re the “other” power conference and probably is enough to buy them time to be migrated into whatever break off the B1G and SEC have planned. And from the B1G/SEC perspective, they don’t have to worry about being caught up in a huge legal battle with the ACC to get these two teams if and when they finally decide they want them.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen or should happen or any of that, but there’s reasons outside of just short term tv revenues to do so. In a world where Cal and Stanford are in the ACC, TCU, Boise State and San Diego State signed up to play in the Big East, etc, it’s not insane to think Clemson and FSU would spend ~3-5 years in the B12 as a stop gap given the current situation and interests for all parties involved.
If they're going to spend $200 million plus to get out of the ACC, it's not going to be to go the B12, even if it's only for a few years. If anything, if they need a time buffer to go to the P2, they're are more likely to go independent in football and join the sun belt or something for other sports.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't know. Watch FSU's antics after not being selected for the CFP last season and then their performance in the Orange Bowl suggests a pretty special level of arrogance.
Totally disagree. They got screwed by almost every measure. They were the undefeated conference champ of a P5 conference that got passed over for a 1 loss P5 conference champ. If I were FSU, I would be throwing a hissy fit as well. The playoff committee turned their back on what they have always said the criteria was to put a 1 loss SEC team in the playoffs.

Then they had 9 players opt out of the game (7 drafted and 5 in the top 3 rounds) while Georgia had zero opt outs. They played a ticked off Georgia team that was one loss away from the playoffs. Did those 9 players that sat out equal 60 points? Absolutely not. It was an awful showing. There was a reason for it, though.

Reaction Score
They played a ticked off Georgia team that was one loss away from the playoffs.

Georgia did show up to play. Every time you step on the field you should be ready to play, to say nothing of playing in the Orange Bowl. That's how you represent your program and yourself. That's how you deal with disappointment.

Honestly, I could have played on the FSU defense and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know. Watch FSU's antics after not being selected for the CFP last season and then their performance in the Orange Bowl suggests a pretty special level of arrogance.

My non-provable hypothetical comeback is Texas and its fans would have been at least 3 times more obnoxious than the actual behavior last season from FSU fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big 12 as an intermediary step for Clemson and FSU to getting to the B1G/SEC makes sense for a ton of reasons.
Does it though? Paying exit and entrance fees twice within a short span of years seems like a prohibitive cost.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was so many years ago.

Please refresh my memory, when exactly was BYU' first game as a member of the B-12?

Refresh your own.

When were they voted in?

They are a liability. Big corporate sponsors don’t want to be associated with an eyesore like BYU.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why FSU and Clemson would leave. Unless they just can’t stand ESPN. But I sure would like to see the Acc crash and burn to the Big12 and a bunch of little brothers and directional schools.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why FSU and Clemson would leave. Unless they just can’t stand ESPN. But I sure would like to see the Acc crash and burn to the Big12 and a bunch of little brothers and directional schools.

You don’t understand they want to go to a different conference and close the media money gap with schools that haven’t accomplished anything in football?

Reaction Score
You don’t understand they want to go to a different conference and close the media money gap with schools that haven’t accomplished anything in football?
We're talking about the money.

As for having accomplished much in football, neither conference has.

Utah, TCU and Baylor are no great shakes either, certainly not more impressive than Miami, Georgia Tech, etc.

Reaction Score

Utah, TCU and Baylor are no great shakes either, certainly not more impressive than Miami, Georgia Tech, etc.

Cliemson and FSU have actually won National Championships.

Miami has a while ago.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 will have something like $50M a year coming to it in the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
If they don't like ESPN in the ACC.. I don't think they'll like the SEC where ESPN has an even bigger investment in the conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Does it though? Paying exit and entrance fees twice within a short span of years seems like a prohibitive cost.
It’s certainly not the preferred path, but if the feedback is B1G/SEC don’t want to deal with the ongoing legal battles and/or FOX/ESPN don’t want to pay for it then the only other option they have is independence and the southern conference or something for Olympic sports. The B12 can use the PE money to help offset legal fees and FSU/Clemson have all leverage to negotiate lower exit fees for if/when they leave. As a result they can renegotiate their TV deal which isn’t slated to begin until 2025-26 and the PE can exit at a profit from their initial investment.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but there’s reasons it could very well wind up there and it shouldn’t be that surprising if and when it does is all I’m saying with the understanding that it won’t be a forever marriage but will help both FSU/Clemson and the B12 get to the end state they both want.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 will have something like $50M a year coming to it in the foreseeable future.
And that's not enough. The ACC is already ahead of them and is cleared to that amount until 2036.

At $50m, they'll never make back the exit fees + what they would've made in the ACC by staying put.

And in 10 yrs when the lawsuit is over, the chances are that none of these conferences will even exist anymore.

Reaction Score
Cliemson and FSU have actually won National Championships.

Miami has a while ago.
??

Clemson and FSU are in the ACC.

I'm comparing the two football conferences as they exist.

Georgia Tech has won one as well, not only Miami

Reaction Score
If they don't like ESPN in the ACC.. I don't think they'll like the SEC where ESPN has an even bigger investment in the conference.

They want out because they will never get what they need in the ACC.

If they join the Big 12 that’s another story. The Big 12 is projected to make more per school and with these types of additions they could get even more.

Reaction Score
And that's not enough. The ACC is already ahead of them and is cleared to that amount until 2036.

At $50m, they'll never make back the exit fees + what they would've made in the ACC by staying put.

And in 10 yrs when the lawsuit is over, the chances are that none of these conferences will even exist anymore.

How do you know what they will pay in exit fees? You don’t. And how do you know that they don’t have those fees covered by donors.

If you already know that then why are you posting here?

Those schools in the Big 12 will clean their clocks.

The ACC is dead meat.

Or this is just a big shakedown for them to get into a better distribution that they clearly believe they deserve.

Reaction Score
They want out because they will never get what they need in the ACC.

If they join the Big 12 that’s another story. The Big 12 is projected to make more per school and with these types of additions they could get even more.
there's likely an exit fee in the contract if a school is leaving. That's speculation on my part since we have no access to the contract, but if the GOR is as big a PITA as it's been made out to be through this whole boondoggle, I'm sure there's an exit fee in the ACC contract at minimum. The next step is the ACC would likely sue for at minimum, the present value of whatever the future projected revenues are over the remaining life of the ACC contract related to the departing schools as compensation to the remaining schools who now have had their brand devalued. With those factors, it doesn't sound like Big 12 money gets it done, as it didn't seem their payouts were much projected to be much larger than the ACC. They'd need SEC or B1G money over a few years to sort that out. Doesn't ACC pay out like 37M per school and Big12 was looking at like 30?

Reaction Score
How do you know what they will pay in exit fees? You don’t. And how do you know that they don’t have those fees covered by donors.

If you already know that then why are you posting here?

Those schools in the Big 12 will clean their clocks.

The ACC is dead meat.

Or this is just a big shakedown for them to get into a better distribution that they clearly believe they deserve.
You're always moving the goalposts of the discussion.

The exit fees are substantial. We already know their value. This isn't a mystery. I'm not sure why you're even questioning that.

If you subtract the small amount the B12 is slated to make over the ACC from the exit fee, you're still in the hole for over $100m. The donors are going to pay that? Why would they? And for what?

Reaction Score
there's likely an exit fee in the contract if a school is leaving. That's speculation on my part since we have no access to the contract, but if the GOR is as big a PITA as it's been made out to be through this whole boondoggle, I'm sure there's an exit fee in the ACC contract at minimum. The next step is the ACC would likely sue for at minimum, the present value of whatever the future projected revenues are over the remaining life of the ACC contract related to the departing schools as compensation to the remaining schools who now have had their brand devalued. With those factors, it doesn't sound like Big 12 money gets it done, as it didn't seem their payouts were much projected to be much larger than the ACC. They'd need SEC or B1G money over a few years to sort that out. Doesn't ACC pay out like 37M per school and Big12 was looking at like 30?

The exit fees are substantial. We already know their value. This isn't a mystery. I'm not sure why you're even questioning that.

If you subtract the small amount the B12 is slated to make over the ACC from the exit fee, you're still in the hole for over $100m. The donors are going to pay that? Why would they? And for what?

So I guess they are just getting out so that they can lose more money and get a better tan. There is no angle in this and you guys have it figured out.

We’ll revisit this later. Going to be pretty funny.

Reaction Score

Pennstater,

I was talking about money and prestige.

You do not know what the exit fees will be. There is an actual lawsuit happening at the moment that will influence that. You should check it out.

The Big 12 is worth more with those schools than the ACC will ever be.

Deal with it.

Reaction Score
The only conference I would consider without football
Is the B1G that’s a win for us and them
Yes by any metric w’re P2 in basketball.
UConn basketball alone could be earning well in excess of $20,00,000
20% based on 15% for men’s and 5% for women’s
using $80,000,000
That is $16,000,000 in media alone
Plus NCAA tournament distribution
Plus conference tournament
Women finally get a conference that’s not killing them.
Plus Ticket Sales
Women's ticket sales would double
men’s increase substantially
well over $10,000,000

You could make a case for the SEC but were simply a better fit for the B1G
We could put football anywhere

Reaction Score
Pennstater,

I was talking about money and prestige.

You do not know what the exit fees will be. There is an actual lawsuit happening at the moment that will influence that. You should check it out.

The Big 12 is worth more with those schools than the ACC will ever be.

Deal with it.
Are you drinking early in the day?

The exit fees are spelled out. The lawsuit is over GOR.

Both conferences are worth more with the most better schools. Right now the ACC has them and the B12 doesn't.

Deal with it.

Also, BYU sucks... at everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom