Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 862 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Of course, there’s always the possibility of more conference realignment as soon as this summer. Clemson and Florida State have sued the ACC over disagreements related to its grant of rights. Yormark hasn’t been shy about the potential of basketball, saying again this week that the Big 12 is exploring selling football and basketball as separate TV deals in 2030. The possibility of adding Gonzaga hasn’t come together. UConn the last non-Notre Dame football independent standing, has won consecutive men’s basketball national titles, but feelings within the league on the Huskies remain mixed.

Yormark hasn’t touched that realignment topic publicly since his comment two years ago, saying he’s only focused on the 16. But he’s prepared for more change. So while discussing the various sponsorship and revenue possibilities for the league, he went back to the well.

“I guess you could say we’re still open for business,” he said.

Take that however you’d like. <-

Reaction Score
I think Yormark had the UConn votes (with hesitancy/skeptism from a number of BIG12 Presidents). UConn was from what I understand by those in the know and also what was confirmed later on in articles by Presidents a shoe in, much like with the ACC until the 11th hour. It took an entire conference to collapse to end it and the rug was pulled fast.
From last August:

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark says UConn wasn’t added ‘only because dream scenario unfolded’

On Wednesday’s edition of the Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, hosted by the New York Post’s Andrew Marchand and Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand, Yormark confirmed that the conference had discussions with UConn and said that it took a dream scenario to deny the Huskies.

“I did have conversations with UConn and Gonzaga, and unfortunately, things didn’t work out, only because the dream scenario unfolded for us. So those conversations are no longer,” Yormark said. “I’m a big admirer of both of those programs, they’re fantastic for all the right reasons. But right now I’m focused on the transition of those four (schools) in right now.”

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Of course, there’s always the possibility of more conference realignment as soon as this summer. Clemson and Florida State have sued the ACC over disagreements related to its grant of rights. Yormark hasn’t been shy about the potential of basketball, saying again this week that the Big 12 is exploring selling football and basketball as separate TV deals in 2030. The possibility of adding Gonzaga hasn’t come together. UConn the last non-Notre Dame football independent standing, has won consecutive men’s basketball national titles, but feelings within the league on the Huskies remain mixed.

Yormark hasn’t touched that realignment topic publicly since his comment two years ago, saying he’s only focused on the 16. But he’s prepared for more change. So while discussing the various sponsorship and revenue possibilities for the league, he went back to the well.

“I guess you could say we’re still open for business,” he said.

Take that however you’d like. <-

I still find it really strange how many schools don't want us to be in their conference. It makes no sense to me when you compare us to a lot of other schools

Reaction Score
I still find it really strange how many schools don't want us to be in their conference. It makes no sense to me when you compare us to a lot of other schools
Independently the decisions not to asd UConn make sense, logically, in isolation.

But when you add up all the scenarios out there, the fact we are on the outside is quite shocking. It just has not broken our way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Independently the decisions not to asd UConn make sense, logically, in isolation.

Agree. They were separate and distinct reasons for separate and distinct points of time. The problem is that, cumulatively, they have left a bit of a stank around us. we have been on the outside looking in for so long that there is almost a presumption that that result is due to us being somehow unworthy.

It is fascinating though to look at the reasons for each rejection and how the eventual decision worked out for the conference.

BCU "wanted to be the New England team" and didn't want to have to compete with us. Ironically, that left them floating on an island of irrelevancy.

FSU decided to flex its muscles against tobacco road and push for the addition of "a football school". The ACC caved in order to placate FSU. But in the end FSU was not plated and still continues to be a source of instability for the league.

Big 12 version 1 fizzled because BYU's "don't say gay" policy made them temporarily unpalatable as a conference realignment partner. If that expansion had taken place, Connecticut was considered one of the top prospects.

In big 12 version 2 we were within 24 hours of being an addition, but the opportunity to add existing "P5" programs pushed us out at the 11th hour. The school that took her place has quietly indicated that it is unhappy with the big 12 and would go elsewhere if the opportunity presented itself.

In each of these times a different reason came up to block Connecticut. In each of these times Connecticut would have been a better choice as things turned out. I don't know if we will ever get off the island of misfit toys, but in the near term I plan on continuing to enjoy winning national championships. It's not a bad "consolation prize".

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
“I did have conversations with UConn and Gonzaga, and unfortunately, things didn’t work out, only because the dream scenario unfolded for us. So those conversations are no longer,” Yormark said. “I’m a big admirer of both of those programs, they’re fantastic for all the right reasons. But right now I’m focused on the transition of those four (schools) in right now.”

In other words, adding what is undoubtedly the PREMIER (or at minimum most successful) college basketball program over the last quarter century is NOT a dream scenario for the B12 and its lofty aspirations to be a football AND basketball power. Let this sink in. UConn was sacrificial bait last summer; it really didn't take the PAC to blow up to block UConn's presumed invitation...if they really wanted UConn, UConn there to be taken. A year later, rumblings of the ACC splintering. Well slap my arse with a wet kipper, another conference may blow up, and there goes another spot for UConn. Yuckmack is a shyster. He can "admire" all he wants, his words are as empty as the shelves for NCAA mens' basketball championship trophies at Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, UCF, and West Virginia.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball has to carry the flag in realignment. But don't sell Football and Baseball short. Football needs to make a bowl game this season. point blank period. Pender just needs to do what Pender does, which is being one of the most successful and unheralded coaches in the country. Honestly it's gonna fall on Mora. And I believe in him

Reaction Score
Agree. They were separate and distinct reasons for separate and distinct points of time. The problem is that, cumulatively, they have left a bit of a stank around us. we have been on the outside looking in for so long that there is almost a presumption that that result is due to us being somehow unworthy.

It is fascinating though to look at the reasons for each rejection and how the eventual decision worked out for the conference.

BCU "wanted to be the New England team" and didn't want to have to compete with us. Ironically, that left them floating on an island of irrelevancy.

FSU decided to flex its muscles against tobacco road and push for the addition of "a football school". The ACC caved in order to placate FSU. But in the end FSU was not plated and still continues to be a source of instability for the league.

Big 12 version 1 fizzled because BYU's "don't say gay" policy made them temporarily unpalatable as a conference realignment partner. If that expansion had taken place, Connecticut was considered one of the top prospects.

In big 12 version 2 we were within 24 hours of being an addition, but the opportunity to add existing "P5" programs pushed us out at the 11th hour. The school that took her place has quietly indicated that it is unhappy with the big 12 and would go elsewhere if the opportunity presented itself.

In each of these times a different reason came up to block Connecticut. In each of these times Connecticut would have been a better choice as things turned out. I don't know if we will ever get off the island of misfit toys, but in the near term I plan on continuing to enjoy winning national championships. It's not a bad "consolation prize".

It’s really amazing in this day and age that BYU is more palatable than a UConn.

I think the Big 12 would take a mulligan.

Reaction Score

In other words, adding what is undoubtedly the PREMIER (or at minimum most successful) college basketball program over the last quarter century is NOT a dream scenario for the B12 and its lofty aspirations to be a football AND basketball power. Let this sink in. UConn was sacrificial bait last summer; it really didn't take the PAC to blow up to block UConn's presumed invitation...if they really wanted UConn, UConn there to be taken. A year later, rumblings of the ACC splintering. Well slap my arse with a wet kipper, another conference may blow up, and there goes another spot for UConn. Yuckmack is a shyster. He can "admire" all he wants, his words are as empty as the shelves for NCAA mens' basketball championship trophies at Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, UCF, and West Virginia.

You’re assuming that they are no longer interested in UConn. I don’t believe that to be true.

Reaction Score

Yormark will join Defillipo, Swofford, and ESPN as the greatest villains in UConn history. Don't trust him at all. Liar.

Reaction Score

Isn’t this quite kind of old?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s really amazing in this day and age that BYU is more palatable than a UConn.

BYU is normally very solid in football and has been ranked more often in the past decade than we have been in our history. They also have a large (I believe ~65k seat) football stadium that usually sells out.

We can brag about how we are more attractive in many other sports and on many non-athletic levels but the reality (which somehow still eludes most of us) is that football is far more important than everything else combined.

If we fix our football program we have a legitimate shot, until then, we will be where we are.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
You’re assuming that they are no longer interested in UConn. I don’t believe that to be true.
If they were interested, we'd be in. As we're not, we're but a mere "yeah, they're good in bball, but let's see who else we can get".

Isn’t this quite kind of old?
Considering that eyes seem to be on the implosion of the ACC, I think it still makes it relevant.

CL82

Reaction Score

Remember that one of the criticisms of Connecticut as a possible big 12 partner, I believe made by an athletic Director, was that we had a "eastern culture." I'm not saying that that made or broke the deal, but it was something that at least one guy talked about. Connecticut is a very liberal state. Most of the big 12 is not. Things that you or I wouldn't think twice about may seem like a red flag to them.

Reaction Score
The ACC probably looks at UConn as part of its post raid survival kit. If the Big 12 added UConn now they actually weaken the ACC and make the ACC post raid leftovers more likely to flee to the B12.
I wonder if the reverse is true.

If FSU and Clemson left the ACC, and at the same time the B12 offered UConn a spot, and UConn turned it down for the post-departure ACC, would that weaken the B12?

CL82

Reaction Score
I wonder if the reverse is true.

If FSU and Clemson left the ACC, and at the same time the B12 offered UConn a spot, and UConn turned it down for the post-departure ACC, would that weaken the B12?
Not really. I wouldn't mind being in a bidding war, though. None of that "half share" bullshit.

Reaction Score
BYU is normally very solid in football and has been ranked more often in the past decade than we have been in our history. They also have a large (I believe ~65k seat) football stadium that usually sells out.

We can brag about how we are more attractive in many other sports and on many non-athletic levels but the reality (which somehow still eludes most of us) is that football is far more important than everything else combined.

If we fix our football program we have a legitimate shot, until then, we will be where we are.

Key words: “in this day and age”.

They aren’t really a school that people want to be associated with.

Reaction Score
Remember that one of the criticisms of Connecticut as a possible big 12 partner, I believe made by an athletic Director, was that we had a "eastern culture." I'm not saying that that made or broke the deal, but it was something that at least one guy talked about. Connecticut is a very liberal state. Most of the big 12 is not. Things that you or I wouldn't think twice about may seem like a red flag to them.

Yeah. I think they still want a mulligan.

Reaction Score
I doubt this is a strong as some try to imply.

It’s stronger. They aren’t kryptonite like Liberty but they are heading that way.

Unless you are a BYU person you don’t like them. Even some LDS people don’t like them.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

"UConn the last non-Notre Dame football independent standing, has won consecutive men’s basketball national titles, but feelings within the league on the Huskies remain mixed."

OK so let's play a game...if feelings are mixed, which schools are for and against us? My guess:

For:
Basketball schools who would want a blue blood like us:
  • Kansas
  • Houston
  • Arizona
  • Baylor
  • Arizona
Old conference foes who would open to reunion:
  • WVU
  • Cincy
  • UCF

Against:
Bigger time football schools who would oppose our football program:
  • Utah
  • Oklahoma State
  • Kansas State
  • TCU
  • Texas Tech
  • Colorado
I have literally don't have a clue what they are thinking:
  • Arizona State
  • BYU

Reaction Score
As I posted, this is from August of last year. I was just backing up what Forte posted.

Forte is a bed wetter.

You can see smoke above the treetops.

I heard something 3-4 weeks ago and took it with a grain of salt. Then the rumors are going again with Big 12 media days.

At this point I am like “hmmmm” but not getting my hopes up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom