Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 861 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
We would never think of taking basketball to the Big 12 without full football membership!*

*But what if:
  • B12 basketball alone paid triple what we get with the Big East?
  • The B12 gave as an "associate" football membership where we plaid a bunch of their teams home/away and had a defined path to get membership based on success?
  • The B12 invited us as a full member, but at a reduced payout on the football side (maybe with that same defined pat to get a full share)?
  • Villanova, St. John's and maybe more said they're in for the B12 basketball league leaving the Big East wounded? And if the B12 already took some decent (eastern) ACC schools?
I agree that an apples-to-apples switch (same money, different conference) would be a bad decision, but there would definitely be more to consider. 2030 isn't that far off, but a lot can change. UConn should be open to everything and be building relationships every day.

The Big 12, if it can pay more, will quickly turn the Big East into the Big Least. If we can't get football membership in any way, shape, or form, we should at least work very hard to get a scheduling agreement to beef up the go forward schedule and drive fan interest. That could possibly pave the way for full membership down the road.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the Big XII said come on down for $10m/yr basketball and $5m/yr football with potential for full shares if we meet performance metrics then we'd do it in a heart beat
But would we if there wasn't a full share opportunity?

Reaction Score

We should if it's more money than Big East. Even at that significantly lesser amount, it's a win-win situation. Basketball stays competitive in a competitive league, and football has a shot at surviving.

I guess the one underlying issue are all other non revenue sports and how much they cost to operate and travel in the big12 foot print.

Reaction Score
We would never think of taking basketball to the Big 12 without full football membership!*

*But what if:
  • B12 basketball alone paid triple what we get with the Big East?
  • The B12 gave us an "associate" football membership where we played a bunch of their teams home/away and had a defined path to get full membership based on success?
  • The B12 invited us as a full member, but at a reduced payout on the football side (maybe with that same defined pat to get a full share)?
  • Villanova, St. John's and maybe more said they're in for the B12 basketball league leaving the Big East wounded? And if the B12 already took some decent (eastern) ACC schools?
I agree that an apples-to-apples switch (same money, different conference) would be a bad decision, but there would definitely be more to consider. 2030 isn't that far off, but a lot can change. UConn should be open to everything and be building relationships every day.
Yes, there are many moving pieces. UConn has to look out for itself and while the Big East is great today, we can't forget the possibility that other programs might get better offers. The Big East is not deep.

Reaction Score
We should if it's more money than Big East. Even at that significantly lesser amount, it's a win-win situation. Basketball stays competitive in a competitive league, and football has a shot at surviving.

I guess the one underlying issue are all other non revenue sports and how much they cost to operate and travel in the big12 foot print.
What teams are you worried about? For sports like swimming track volleyball it is 1 conference championship a year. The rest are regional and national invitationals. The Penn Relays for example. Baseball traveled to Florida and California twice plus Alabama, Nebraska, Indiana and Ohio. Not sure B12 travel would be much different.

Reaction Score

But not all of these proposals will come or have come to fruition. From within his own league, there is often pushback to ideas that some describe as innovative and others call extreme. For instance, a plan to add Gonzaga was left on the cutting room floor. And while there is a renewed interest from Yormark in adding UConn, their candidacy remains uncertain. The Big 12’s foray into Mexico, now soccer and baseball, was expected to originally feature basketball and football games (those appear to have been scrapped).

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Predictions from Athlon. It sounds like Memphis and USF are just about a sure thing next round.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ege-football-conference-realignment-expansion

The MAC Becomes a 14-Team League

UMass will join the MAC next year (2025) to bring the MAC membership to 13 teams. Even if the conference prefers all-sports members, the MAC eventually grows by one with a football-only deal with UConn.

And if UConn isn't the right fit, perhaps a FCS team (maybe Illinois State?) fits as the No. 14 member.

Translation ... if UConn football isn't worthy / good enough for the MAC they would look for more viable FCS options.
no I think he means UConn is likely not interested, because other conferences with more to offer are in our potential future and the MAC would be a move down in every way,
likely the MAC takes an FCS or convinces a CUSA team like Delaware somehow.

Reaction Score
Tough question. Like, is there value in being less broke?

We are short $40m, they give us $20m and we still are at a deficit and we are unhappy.

Reaction Score
I would think BYU and the Arizona schools would be fairly receptive to UConn as an add. Basketball is important to them. Could tip things in our favor compared to before.
Was there ever a straw poll that suggested the XII presidents didn’t want UConn or was it always they were waiting for the PAC to collapse? Could be a similar situation with the ACC soon.

Reaction Score
Was there ever a straw poll that suggested the XII presidents didn’t want UConn or was it always they were waiting for the PAC to collapse? Could be a similar situation with the ACC soon.
I think Yormark had the UConn votes (with hesitancy/skeptism from a number of BIG12 Presidents). UConn was from what I understand by those in the know and also what was confirmed later on in articles by Presidents a shoe in, much like with the ACC until the 11th hour. It took an entire conference to collapse to end it and the rug was pulled fast.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
if it wasn't for Arizona, Arizona State and Utah joining the Big 12 we probably would have been in, Big 12 schools seem very receptive to UConn but were hesitant because they were waiting on those 3 schools decision, they'd much rather Colorado, Zona, ASU, and Utah than UConn and Colorado.

Reaction Score
I would think BYU and the Arizona schools would be fairly receptive to UConn as an add. Basketball is important to them. Could tip things in our favor compared to before.
Charlie Brown Football GIF

Reaction Score
Tough question. Like, is there value in being less broke?

We are short $40m, they give us $20m and we still are at a deficit and we are unhappy.
I look at like this. They're funding BB at the top of the sport. Literally the top. Some or most of the additional revenue should go toward making FB more competitive, especially assistant coach pay at the coordinator spots.

Reaction Score
I think Yormark had the UConn votes (with hesitancy/skeptism from a number of BIG12 Presidents). UConn was from what I understand by those in the know and also what was confirmed later on in articles by Presidents a shoe in, much like with the ACC until the 11th hour. It took an entire conference to collapse to end it and the rug was pulled fast.
UConn was not a shoo-in, and it should be obvious by now it will never be a shoo-in to a power conference. At best, we were a bubble school that could have gotten an invite under the right set of circumstances. People always judge UConn in terms of what might go wrong, instead of what could go right (unlike most other candidates).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom