Howard considering UConn? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
Word is, Howard is coming on an official this weekend to Storrs! Yes, I was one that doubted they would take her, especially for just one year but it seems they do want her. We could definitely use her!!!
Please put her on a plane to Corvallis, OR (via the Portland, OR Airport) after her visit to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Howard visited Fl State last weekend so, her visiting Stoors isn't surprising although I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The more I think about this whole Anriel Howard situation, it make most sense that she comes to play for a Geno and UCONN. She is the perfect puzzle piece to fill the void of Gabby and Stevens. UCONN has the National exposure and the access to major Women's Bball sports networks.

I like UCONN's chances especially with the lose of Stevens. For all I know the decision has already been made and they are working on the PR effect of adding Anriel.

I think she is an interesting combination of Gabby and Azura -- she has Gabby's athleticism (not quite to the same degree) but not her passing ability, passes as well as Azura, defends better than Azura, not as well as Gabby. What she has above both is a sense for where the ball's going when it's shot. I think more than half her points are from offensive rebounds.

I've been worried that, lest she come to UConn, she'd get in Napheesa's way, but she's often 10-15 feet from the basket when the shot goes up and still somehow manages to get inside position. And while she doesn't leap quite like Gabby, you'll just see her arm come up through a scrum and she comes down with the ball.

As others have said, I think she has a real potential to fit into a disciplined offense.

Reaction Score
A&M runs basically no offensive sets to get players open shots, so 44% is probably pretty good shooting on a team where it’s every player for themselves. As information, FOY Chennedy Carter shot only 44% as well.

Put Howard in UConn’s motion offense with 4 teammates who all pass the ball and she would easily shoot over 50%.

While true about A&M’s offense, there a big difference from a guard shooting 44% and a post shooting 44%. Defenders sagged off of Howard outside 15ft so she had wide open looks a lot of the time and missed way more than she made. Like I said before, most of her makes were off offensive rebounds and within 5ft of the hoop. I think Camara will do more for UCONN from what I saw her freshmen year at Kentucky.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While true about A&M’s offense, there a big difference from a guard shooting 44% and a post shooting 44%. Defenders sagged off of Howard outside 15ft so she had wide open looks a lot of the time and missed way more than she made. Like I said before, most of her makes were off offensive rebounds and within 5ft of the hoop. I think Camara will do more for UCONN from what I saw her freshmen year at Kentucky.
I’d love to see Touly step up, and I know she dealt with a knee injury for much of the season, but at times she struggled to make wide open layups, and we don’t know if her knee issues will be chronic in nature.

Howard is what she is, an athletic rebounding machine who’ll get you points in the paint, and is battle tested from 3 seasons in the SEC. She’s a much better bet than Touly, imo.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Howard visited Fl State last weekend so, her visiting Stoors isn't surprising although I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.
Wait, I thought her mom said that all the schools she was considering had reached the Sweet 16. Florida State lost in the second round to Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought her mom said that all the schools she was considering had reached the Sweet 16. Florida State lost in the second round to Buffalo.

From my understanding that's what was declared in the beginning but I've come to learn more coaches are getting involved in the process. She is set to visit Miss St next week (after visiting stoors this weekend) the following weekend she will visit Louisville then she will take time off for final exams then will visit UCLA and South Carolina in May and afterwards she will make a descision.

Reaction Score
From my understanding that's what was declared in the beginning but I've come to learn more coaches are getting involved in the process. She is set to visit Miss St next week (after visiting stoors this weekend) the following weekend she will visit Louisville then she will take time off for final exams then will visit UCLA and South Carolina in May and afterwards she will make a descision.

Thanks, Just want to make sure she visits Storrs CT and not Stoors. LOL!

Reaction Score
Sorry about the misspellings

No need. I do it myself from time to time.

Have you heard from credible sources that she is visiting Storrs? If she ends up visiting I would imagine that Geno would be very interested in Anriel. I figure Geno will be honest in his assessment of the opportunity but also keenly aware whether or not she would fit in (chemistry, Phessa and Kati Lou will provide valuable input) with the returning players. If all the stars line up, then I would imagine that it will be quite a compelling opportunity. I believe she could become the darling of the 2018-2019 season and makes UCONN a potential pre season favorite. Wouldn't be surprised if Kia and Gabby play roles as well.

Reaction Score
No need. I do it myself from time to time.

Have you heard from credible sources that she is visiting Storrs? If she ends up visiting I would imagine that Geno would be very interested in Anriel. I figure Geno will be honest in his assessment of the opportunity but also keenly aware whether or not she would fit in (chemistry, Phessa and Kati Lou will provide valuable input) with the returning players. If all the stars line up, then I would imagine that it will be quite a compelling opportunity. I believe she could become the darling of the 2018-2019 season and makes UCONN a potential pre season favorite. Wouldn't be surprised if Kia and Gabby play roles as well.

Very creditable sources confirmed with me that she will be visiting Connecticut. If Geno is interested I think she will commit on the spot. She is said to be also visiting Louisville, Miss St, UCLA, and SC. So it's sort of a wait and see approach.

Reaction Score
Very creditable sources confirmed with me that she will be visiting Connecticut. If Geno is interested I think she will commit on the spot. She is said to be also visiting Louisville, Miss St, UCLA, and SC. So it's sort of a wait and see approach.

Thanks, if what your saying happens, Its good she is visiting other schools because that will help deflect some of the UCONN is a monopoly commentary. (Even though it's kind of true, LOL!

Reaction Score
Wait I thought she was only interested in 2 of the final 4 teams? Now it’s 3?

Reaction Score
A&M runs basically no offensive sets to get players open shots, so 44% is probably pretty good shooting on a team where it’s every player for themselves. As information, FOY Chennedy Carter shot only 44% as well.

Put Howard in UConn’s motion offense with 4 teammates who all pass the ball and she would easily shoot over 50%.
Where do you get the idea that Blair doesn’t run sets? The criticism around here for years has been that players don’t have as much freedom as in a motion offense. It’s true that his sets are usually designed for someone other than the 4, though.

Reaction Score
Wait I thought she was only interested in 2 of the final 4 teams? Now it’s 3?

The three teams being ND, Louisville and UCONN? If so it may be that more teams want to take a shot at having her join them.

Reaction Score
The three teams being ND, Louisville and UCONN? If so it may be that more teams want to take a shot at having her join them.

Now I see, SCspur listed Mississippi State, Ville and UCONN. That leaves ND out. If that's it then, I'm liking UCONN'S chances.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are we wishing and hoping or has she mentioned UConn... if not, we seem to be a lil desperate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom