Howard considering UConn? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
Actually, the fact that everyone outside A&M and many of our own fans assume that it's mostly about Carter monopolizing play kind of bugs me. It may be true, but I'm hoping that Danni and Anriel have better perspective than the casual fans. Two things to remember
  • Carter took a lot of shots but she also finished at 4.9 assists/game, which was second in the SEC to Ty Harris. By my eyeball analysis her assists and A/TO would have been better if she had a) figured out how to feed Khaalia Hillsman in the post with easy high entry passes instead of trying to bounce it in or throw a bullet, and b) dished more on the break instead of taking it to the hole 1 on 3. The thing about the latter, though, is that she usually scored on those... better than any other guard we've had here since I started watching.
  • Carter was a freshman last year and Blair is far from hands-off in his coaching his PGs. See this piece from a couple of years ago by Amy Wright, a current assistant who was a Blair PG at Arkansas.
The problem is that the "anything else we should consider" is all speculation in terms of what's on the various forums (mine is that it ultimately comes back to how Che Howard sees things, rightly or wrongly, which means that Blair investing so much of the team leadership in Anriel is backfiring). But in the absence of anything other than rumors and gossip, the Carter theories naturally fill the vacuum.

in terms of wins and losses can you guess where would A&M have been without Carter last year?

Reaction Score
Actually, the fact that everyone outside A&M and many of our own fans assume that it's mostly about Carter monopolizing play kind of bugs me. It may be true, but I'm hoping that Danni and Anriel have better perspective than the casual fans. Two things to remember
The problem is that the "anything else we should consider" is all speculation in terms of what's on the various forums (mine is that it ultimately comes back to how Che Howard sees things, rightly or wrongly, which means that Blair investing so much of the team leadership in Anriel is backfiring). But in the absence of anything other than rumors and gossip, the Carter theories naturally fill the vacuum.

Interestingly if Howard ends up at Miss State I'd say there's a good chance her rebounding numbers will be way down from last year........if the ball lands anywhere in the low post at either end of the court she's sure not getting it........

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Interestingly if Howard ends up at Miss State I'd say there's a good chance her rebounding numbers will be way down from last year...if the ball lands anywhere in the low post at either end of the court she's sure not getting it...
I wouldn't say that. A&M played Mississippi St twice last season. In the first game (Feb 18th, so regular season) McCowan had 11 rebounds (5 offensive) and Howard had 10 (3 offensive). In the second game (SEC tourney), McCowan had 13 boards (5 offensive) and Howard had 17 (6 offensive). McCowan had more minutes in both games (37 to 35 in regular season and 39 to 37 in the SEC tourney.)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As a retired Prof, I always hope that a college grad could spell camaraderie correctly, or at least pay attention to the spell check? Sigh.
Put down the pointer for a second, prof.

I was a sports writer and columnist for over four decades and would earn the wrath of an editor's blue pencil if I ever wrote "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," used words such as hard or tough if I meant difficult (Steel is hard, a $2 steak is tough, winning a national championship is difficult), wrote anxious if I meant eager, used the word veteran in any context other than a reference to military personnel, or wrote UCONN instead of UConn. (And while we're at it, UConn is an it not a they as in "UConn will win a 12th national championship if it...)

But, respectfully Boreifs, while it would be refreshing if everyone knew the difference between your and you're and the difference among there, their, and they're, The Boneyard is neither a newsroom nor a classroom.

If you get bogged down in spelling, grammar and syntax, you'll miss out on the informative discussion, astute analysis and lively debate that this wonderful site provides.

Your well come. ;)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say that. A&M played Mississippi St twice last season. In the first game (Feb 18th, so regular season) McCowan had 11 rebounds (5 offensive) and Howard had 10 (3 offensive). In the second game (SEC tourney), McCowan had 13 boards (5 offensive) and Howard had 17 (6 offensive). McCowan had more minutes in both games (37 to 35 in regular season and 39 to 37 in the SEC tourney.)

yes but they were on opposite teams...............now they have to share one ball between them and the aircraft carrier beats the cruiser under the basket most of the time...........

Reaction Score
Put down the pointer for a second, prof.

I was a sports writer and columnist for over four decades and would earn the wrath of an editor's blue pencil if I ever wrote "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," used words such as hard or tough if I meant difficult (Steel is hard, a $2 steak is tough, winning a national championship is difficult), wrote anxious if I meant eager, used the word veteran in any context other than a reference to military personnel, or wrote UCONN instead of UConn. (And while we're at it, UConn is an it not a they as in "UConn will win a 12th national championship if it...)

But, respectfully Boreifs, while it would be refreshing if everyone knew the difference between your and you're and the difference among there, their, and they're, The Boneyard is neither a newsroom nor a classroom.

If you get bogged down in spelling, grammar and syntax, you'll miss out on the informative discussion, astute analysis and lively debate that this wonderful site provides.

Your well come. ;)
I believe the critique was of the author of the paywalled Miss State 247 site article, not a BY post that quoted it based on my copying a quote from another site. It's not unreasonable to hold those who charge for their content to a higher standard, IMO. YMMV.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I believe the critique was of the author of the paywalled Miss State 247 site article, not a BY post that quoted it based on my copying a quote from another site. It's not unreasonable to hold those who charge for their content to a higher standard, IMO. YMMV.
Fair enough.

Reaction Score
I feel badly for you as an A&M fan..it can't be fun watching important players trying to escape from your favorite program......I think we all assume that it has to do with Carter monopolizing play....anything else we should consider?
Unlike some, don't think its productive to speculate and characterize opinions as fact. Your reasoning on why the transfers may be true but living in Texas surrounded by Aggies, they don't share your opinion of the cause.

Reaction Score
Well now we know how bad Dawn wants her. I heard the entire coaching staff has a pair.... including coach Fred LOL!
Somehow I don't see Geno or Vic Schaefer picking her up at the airport in this...
upload_2018-4-28_10-44-25.png

Reaction Score
That might be UCONNs problem that their system is too difficult on incoming players even experienced one's.......First, they need to learn how to play one on one defense.........UCONN got exposed in the half court defense by ND......

Reaction Score
Yes 4 fouls on 3 main players will do that to you.

They got the 4 fouls, because they couldn't play one-on-one defense. When you are a step slow and get caught out of position, you foul.

Notre Dame ran their game plan to perfection against UConn and Miss. St. Go back and look at the 2nd halves of both of those games. On just about every possession, Notre Dame was taking the ball to the basket.

Give the foul talk a rest. Teams that take the ball to the basket will get more foul calls in their favor than teams that shoot jump shots.

Reaction Score
They got the 4 fouls, because they couldn't play one-on-one defense. When you are a step slow and get caught out of position, you foul.

Notre Dame ran their game plan to perfection against UConn and Miss. St. Go back and look at the 2nd halves of both of those games. On just about every possession, Notre Dame was taking the ball to the basket.

Give the foul talk a rest. Teams that take the ball to the basket will get more foul calls in their favor than teams that shoot jump shots.

You give it a rest. Watch the replay some of those fouls were not fouls and had nothing to do with playing defense, so get your facts right.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it’s between Mississippi St and South Carolina.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Vic and MSU. I hope the land both kids - they lost a lot this year and a pair of 1 year transfers could tide them over until the next recruiting cycle arrives.

Reaction Score
Good for Vic and MSU. I hope the land both kids - they lost a lot this year and a pair of 1 year transfers could tide them over until the next recruiting cycle arrives.

Not sure how they would even be able to get both. If I’m not mistaken they were at 14 scholarships this past year and lost 4 seniors but brought in 4 freshmen. If they get both where would any of their freshman recruits play? They will have McCowan, Bibby, and Campbell. Add in White and Carter (freshmen posts) and possibly Howard and Taylor. That’s a major logjam.

Anriel’s birthday is Sunday and word is she may decide then, so we will see.

Reaction Score
Not sure how they would even be able to get both. If I’m not mistaken they were at 14 scholarships this past year and lost 4 seniors but brought in 4 freshmen. If they get both where would any of their freshman recruits play? They will have McCowan, Bibby, and Campbell. Add in White and Carter (freshmen posts) and possibly Howard and Taylor. That’s a major logjam.

Anriel’s birthday is Sunday and word is she may decide then, so we will see.
This guy in his last podcast when he talked about Anriel’s visits, failed to mention FSU and said Howard was supposed to visit UConn but that visit likely won’t happen. I don’t believe he has any deep inside information for this prediction. Not to say Howard won’t still end up at MSU. Her mom definitely spoke very highly of her visit there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The SEC is full of craziness..... whether it be Football or WCBB :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member