Howard considering UConn? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
I would say it was NOT worth a shot based on this one single statement form Howard's mother:
" He (Vic) executed a plan for her that falls in line with what she (Howard) wants. She wants to correct her weaknesses and she wants to go to the WNBA and be a top pick."
Geno is not about that life of making plans based on what recruits want. Sure Geno correct players weaknesses but the objective is to make for a stronger team not so individual players can be top WNBA picks. Being a top WNBA pick from UCONN is a byproduct of buying into team and I did not get a sense of "what can I do to help this team" from Howard.
I can't wait for someone to chime in and suggest that Geno change that part of his coaching philosophy also.
Not sure why you see anything negative in her mother's comments. You can interpret it as meaning that the Miss St plans fit with Howard's goals. Likely KLS, Kia, etc. would say the same for UConn without any changes having been made for them. Continued to be amused at posters that, if its not 100% pro UConn statement, try to turn it into something negative.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
SIAP:

Article is paywalled but an A&M fan posted some excerpts on TexAgs:

One consequence of this is that some A&M fans may be getting over their desire to have Schaefer back when Blair retires. Recruiting players from your mentor's team is one thing. Rushing back to Starkville to do it right after being a keynote for Aggie Muster has bridge burning qualities. Personally I thought he'd be nuts to leave MSU, though.

His kids are supposed to be coming back to TAMU for grad school.

Is she comparing the Miss State staff to the A&M staff? Maybe just stop talking.

"I think that the comradery that (the coaches) have amongst each other, it highlights each one's strengths. They have a really good coaching staff and that's why they're so successful. Instead of one person doing everything, they're all pulling their own weight."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why you see anything negative in her mother's comments. You can interpret it as meaning that the Miss St plans fit with Howard's goals. Likely KLS, Kia, etc. would say the same for UConn without any changes having been made for them. Continued to be amused at posters that, if its not 100% pro UConn statement, try to turn it into something negative.
I could have but I did not. The statement to me was negative because it was about what can you do to get my daughter to WNBA vs what can Howard do to help UCONN="me vs team".
Howard's mother also made this statement:
“Usually when you go on a visit there’s always something that you’re a little iffy about. I can honestly say on this visit there’s nothing that I really question,” Anriel said. “Everything was great from the program to the community. I actually believed everything that was said to me by the coaches and that’s huge.
My interpretation of this is also negative, but sometimes when you tell someone the truth and they weren't expecting it they tend not to believe you.
Visit to Mississippi State was Super for Anriel Howard

Reaction Score
I could have but I did not. The statement to me was negative because it was about what can you do to get my daughter to WNBA vs what can Howard do to help UCONN="me vs team".
Howard's mother also made this statement:
“Usually when you go on a visit there’s always something that you’re a little iffy about. I can honestly say on this visit there’s nothing that I really question,” Anriel said. “Everything was great from the program to the community. I actually believed everything that was said to me by the coaches and that’s huge.
My interpretation of this is also negative, but sometimes when you tell someone the truth and they weren't expecting it they tend not to believe you.
Visit to Mississippi State was Super for Anriel Howard

I guess the obvious question is why didn't one of the reporters covering UConn interview Howard or her family about her Storrs visit?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I guess the obvious question is why didn't one of the reporters covering UConn interview Howard or her family about her Storrs visit?

The answer seems rather obvious, no?

Reaction Score
This is absolutely NOT wishful thinking on my part. Just a gut feeling and that is, when all is said and done,
Howard will choose UCONN. They are doing the beauty Pageant thing but UCONN fills in all the check marks.
Potential National Championship next year, Media connections, Geno and staff, Need, Chemistry (which must be there or not happening)

If I am wrong so be it. If I am right the only joy I will get is that I am a good guesser. Ultimately she will be a great addition
to UCONN at a time when they could use more veteran help. Noone will ever replace Gabby but she is a damn good alternative
to Gabby. I believe UCONN fans will embrace Howard as well. No news is good news! That's my guess and I am sticking to it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member.

Reaction Score
The answer seems rather obvious, no?

as a one time newspaper reporter I would think there's a story to be had............ I know Geno can't talk about recruiting but the family could confirm whether Geno offered, didn't offer, whether Howard loved UConn or hated it.........I'd certainly like to know even if it's a no comment.............

Reaction Score
13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact. A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member.

Obviously somebody (Robby Faulk) spoke with the Howard's regarding their Miss State visit...........it certainly can happen by phone after the visit........

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
as a one time newspaper reporter I would think there's a story to be had.. I know Geno can't talk about recruiting but the family could confirm whether Geno offered, didn't offer, whether Howard loved UConn or hated it....I'd certainly like to know even if it's a no comment...

No longer relevant.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously somebody (Robby Faulk) spoke with the Howard's regarding their Miss State visit......it certainly can happen by phone after the visit...
Howard visited Florida State before she visited UCONN nothing worth reporting from that visit.
Howard visited UCONN more than a week ago and there was nothing worth reporting from that visit.
Howard visited Mississippi State and we have an article full of quotes from the parents.
Do you see where I'm going with this?

Reaction Score
As stated earlier, we should all move on. She doesn’t fit the mold of UConn players. I’m with CoCo Husky, Geno doesn’t want someone who is just going to use him & the girls that have been loyal to the program as a stepping stone. Sorry, but the legacy is far greater than 1 player.

Reaction Score
As stated earlier, we should all move on. She doesn’t fit the mold of UConn players. I’m with CoCo Husky, Geno doesn’t want someone who is just going to use him & the girls that have been loyal to the program as a stepping stone. Sorry, but the legacy is far greater than 1 player.

If she comes fine, if she doesn't okay too. I totally get what your saying and on the surface tend to agree with you.
We all know the UCONN Women are about not only talent but character, selflessness, dedication, teamwork and discipline. I get it.
In Howard's case it looks like she's a bit too flashy and individualistic for UCONN's style. Key word
looks. She also appears to be an excellent student and teammate. Anyone 5'11" who can rebound like she does
knows what sacrifice is. For this I say, maybe give the benefit of the doubt and not judge a book by it's cover, which in this case, to your point seems rather easy to do. She just might have enough of the tangibles and intangibles to meet the UCONN/Geno's standard of excellence.

One thing is for sure though - Ultimately, after completing her road tour if she decide she wants to play for UCONN, at
that point she will have to sell it to Geno, Chris, staff and players. If they get any indication of indecisiveness, that she is not 100% all in
with both feet, then she won't be a Husky for sure.

Reaction Score
As a retired Prof, I always hope that a college grad could spell camaraderie correctly, or at least pay attention to the spell check? Sigh.

Reaction Score
Howard visited Florida State before she visited UCONN nothing worth reporting from that visit.
Howard visited UCONN more than a week ago and there was nothing worth reporting from that visit.
Howard visited Mississippi State and we have an article full of quotes from the parents.
Do you see where I'm going with this?

maybe they had lazy reporters following those schools too
If she comes fine, if she doesn't okay too. I totally get what your saying and on the surface tend to agree with you.
We all know the UCONN Women are about not only talent but character, selflessness, dedication, teamwork and discipline. I get it.
In Howard's case it looks like she's a bit too flashy and individualistic for UCONN's style. Key word
looks. She also appears to be an excellent student and teammate. Anyone 5'11" who can rebound like she does
knows what sacrifice is. For this I say, maybe give the benefit of the doubt and not judge a book by it's cover, which in this case, to your point seems rather easy to do. She just might have enough of the tangibles and intangibles to meet the UCONN/Geno's standard of excellence.

One thing is for sure though - Ultimately, after completing her road tour if she decide she wants to play for UCONN, at
that point she will have to sell it to Geno, Chris, staff and players. If they get any indication of indecisiveness, that she is not 100% all in
with both feet, then she won't be a Husky for sure.

so here we go again backsliding on a player's character, abilities etc just because you perceive that she's not picking UConn...........it's getting very predictable around here...........it was clearly a long shot, don't take it so personally

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

so here we go again backsliding on a player's character, abilities etc just because you perceive that she's not picking UConn......it's getting very predictable around here......it was clearly a long shot, don't take it so personally

Are you calling the UConn beat writers lazy?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nah... But I like that your definition of "lazy" is when reporters don't write about the things YOU are interested in.

Reaction Score

so here we go again backsliding on a player's character, abilities etc just because you perceive that she's not picking UConn......it's getting very predictable around here......it was clearly a long shot, don't take it so personally

Charliebball:

I wasn't saying that at all. On the contrary, I was saying don't judge her by the fact that she is shopping around, etc. Read another recent post of mine where I am guessing that she still comes to UCONN. Sometimes we all miss read what a poster is saying. I was not backsliding on her character at all. If you read my post again you will see that I am responding to bballfan23 who posted

My response was:
I totally get what your saying and on the surface tend to agree with you. (You have to admit she is more flamboyant than
most UCONN players, added)

We all know the UCONN Women are about not only talent but character, selflessness, dedication, teamwork and discipline. I get it. In Howard's case it looks like she's a bit too flashy and individualistic for UCONN's style. Key word
knows what sacrifice is.
For this I say, maybe give the benefit of the doubt and not judge a book by it's cover, which in this case, to your point seems rather easy to do. She just might have enough of the tangibles and intangibles to meet the UCONN/Geno's standard of excellence.

I for one still hope everything comes together and Howard becomes a Husky. Key words (Everything must come together)

Reaction Score
Charliebball:

I wasn't saying that at all. On the contrary, I was saying don't judge her by the fact that she is shopping around, etc. Read another recent post of mine where I am guessing that she still comes to UCONN. Sometimes we all miss read what a poster is saying. I was not backsliding on her character at all. If you read my post again you will see that I am responding to bballfan23 who posted

My response was:
I totally get what your saying and on the surface tend to agree with you. (You have to admit she is more flamboyant than
most UCONN players, added)

We all know the UCONN Women are about not only talent but character, selflessness, dedication, teamwork and discipline. I get it. In Howard's case it looks like she's a bit too flashy and individualistic for UCONN's style. Key word
looks.
She also appears to be an excellent student and teammate. Anyone 5'11" who can rebound like she does
knows what sacrifice is.
For this I say, maybe give the benefit of the doubt and not judge a book by it's cover, which in this case, to your point seems rather easy to do. She just might have enough of the tangibles and intangibles to meet the UCONN/Geno's standard of excellence.

I for one still hope everything comes together and Howard becomes a Husky. Key words (Everything must come together)

point well taken..............I should have cited that one paragraph.............my feelings are that any one and done graduate transfer is always looking out for their own best interests otherwise they would stay where they're at............when Howard was considering UConn because she wanted to win an NC she was great, the minute somebody in her family talks about the recruit wanting to improve her game she's no longer a team player and therefore no longer UConn material..............what UConn player doesn't want to improve their game to make it to the WNBA? That's one of the main reasons the best of the best choose to put up with boot camp conditions when they could be coddled at other programs.........

Reaction Score
point well taken....I should have cited that one paragraph...my feelings are that any one and done graduate transfer is always looking out for their own best interests otherwise they would stay where they're at..when Howard was considering UConn because she wanted to win an NC she was great, the minute somebody in her family talks about the recruit wanting to improve her game she's no longer a team player and therefore no longer UConn material....what UConn player doesn't want to improve their game to make it to the WNBA? That's one of the main reasons the best of the best choose to put up with boot camp conditions when they could be coddled at other programs....

What most of us are saying is, of course we desire the continued success, however the UCONN Women, the most celebrated, greatest team in history is steeped in a culture of personal sacrifice and TEAM basketball. That culture is so strong that no one person can change it. If Howard is offered, then Geno and staff believe she can fit in. If she can't it would be a huge mistake to bring her in for a year. Geno doesn't make many mistakes. I Trust in Geno's wisdom and intellegence. We shall see, either way the girls will be just fine. No one ever dreamed that the post Breanna Stewart team would ever have achieved what they did. We are all such spoiled children, aren't we! LOL!

Reaction Score
As a retired Prof, I always hope that a college grad could spell camaraderie correctly, or at least pay attention to the spell check? Sigh.
I was attributing that to the Miss State writer, since interview comments are usually done orally. I would also note that "executed a plan" is a past tense construction that is odd to describe events for a player who hasn't arrived yet.

I'm not reading too much into the comments wrt whether the Miss State coaches are commenting on how things are done here at A&M. I think it's mostly Anriel's mom enjoying the attention and rationalizing what's happening.

Reaction Score
I was attributing that to the Miss State writer, since interview comments are usually done orally. I would also note that "executed a plan" is a past tense construction that is odd to describe events for a player who hasn't arrived yet.

I'm not reading too much into the comments wrt whether the Miss State coaches are commenting on how things are done here at A&M. I think it's mostly Anriel's mom enjoying the attention and rationalizing what's happening.

I feel badly for you as an A&M fan.......it can't be fun watching important players trying to escape from your favorite program...........I think we all assume that it has to do with Carter monopolizing play.........anything else we should consider?

Reaction Score
I feel badly for you as an A&M fan..it can't be fun watching important players trying to escape from your favorite program......I think we all assume that it has to do with Carter monopolizing play....anything else we should consider?
Actually, the fact that everyone outside A&M and many of our own fans assume that it's mostly about Carter monopolizing play kind of bugs me. It may be true, but I'm hoping that Danni and Anriel have better perspective than the casual fans. Two things to remember
  • Carter took a lot of shots but she also finished at 4.9 assists/game, which was second in the SEC to Ty Harris. By my eyeball analysis her assists and A/TO would have been better if she had a) figured out how to feed Khaalia Hillsman in the post with easy high entry passes instead of trying to bounce it in or throw a bullet, and b) dished more on the break instead of taking it to the hole 1 on 3. The thing about the latter, though, is that she usually scored on those... better than any other guard we've had here since I started watching.
  • Carter was a freshman last year and Blair is far from hands-off in his coaching his PGs. See this piece from a couple of years ago by Amy Wright, a current assistant who was a Blair PG at Arkansas.
The problem is that the "anything else we should consider" is all speculation in terms of what's on the various forums (mine is that it ultimately comes back to how Che Howard sees things, rightly or wrongly, which means that Blair investing so much of the team leadership in Anriel is backfiring). But in the absence of anything other than rumors and gossip, the Carter theories naturally fill the vacuum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom