Howard considering UConn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Howard from TAMU is considering UConn?

This article looks like their are 5 schools she would consider.

Elite SEC player has South Carolina among finalists for potential transfer

If she does transfer, Howard will be eligible to play right away as a graduate transfer — she is set to graduate from A&M in three years with a major in telecommunications media studies. That major will play a factor in the school she chooses, Che Howard said.

"Just making sure she's under a great coaching staff and the school has a great program for her masters," Howard said of the main factors in her daughter's decision. "After both of those check out, she wants to help a team go all the way."

Howard declined to name the four other schools USC is competing against for Anriel's services, but she did say that of the five finalists, two advanced to the most recent Final Four on the NCAA tournament and two others, South Carolina being one, made it to the Sweet 16.

Notre Dame, Connecticut, Louisville and Mississippi State were this year's Final Four participants.

As for a timeline on Howard's decision, her mother said she would take official visits to all five schools first then choose soon after, "well before June."

Not sure if UCONN offers a grad program that satisfies her requirements. Can anyone verify? I didn't see a media studies type grad program. So if that's the case, we're not in the final 4. Knowing Geno, he gets turned off when players put UCONN on a list anyway so this probably ain't happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few random thoughts on Howard's potential transfer:

I always take the publically stated reasons for a transfer with a grain of salt. In my experience, it's usually about lack of playing time, which is clearly not the case in this instance, or the player has a problem with their teammate(s) and/or coach.

I know SC has been mentioned, and may well be the frontrunner, but there are several problems with Howard becoming a Gamecock. First off, while SC will certainly be good next season, without Wilson, they are no longer the dominant team in the SEC. IMO, any one of a number of teams could challenge for the league title, including A&M, that may well be the best of the bunch should Howard elect to stay. The other issue with SC is that Howard is not necessarily a starter. I see the starting lineup as Jennings, Harrigan, Harris, Cooper & Bianca-Cuevas with Grissett, Cliney & Howard, if she transfers, off the bench, not even taking into account any of the freshmen.

As for the other rumored teams, assuming that 2 of the FF teams are among them, a couple pose a challenge when it comes to PT for Howard who is an undersized but athletic forward. While ND graduates Westbeld & Nelson, they presumably get back a healthy Turner & Vaughan, Patterson is a year older and they bring in some talented freshmen. Louisville loses Hines-Allen, but everyone else is back plus some talented recruits. MS St is certainly a possibility, but even though McGowan is back and the Bulldogs do have some solid role players, they lose their top 4 shooters and their best all-around player. I would pick MS St to finish 4th or 5th in the SEC next year. Why leave A&M for MS St?

That brings us to the Huskies. Clearly the Huskies have a greater need for another rebounder than any of the other top teams. While some have argued that Geno wouldn't want to bring in a player and try to have her learn the system and play for only one year, I would suggest that he has nothing to lose. UConn returns 3 proven stars in Lou, Pheesa & Crystal. Hopefully, MW & perhaps Mikayla make significant sophomore leaps, they get something out of Touly and the 2 talented freshmen develop quickly. If so, maybe Howard is the "missing piece" that gets UConn a 12th championship. If not, you used an extra scholarship for a year and you move on.

Everything you say makes perfect sense.............that's why it's not going to happen.................it's South Carolina or bust..........

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

I always take the publically stated reasons for a transfer with a grain of salt. In my experience, it's usually about lack of playing time, which is clearly not the case in this instance, or the player has a problem with their teammate(s) and/or coach.

I know SC has been mentioned, and may well be the frontrunner, but there are several problems with Howard becoming a Gamecock. First off, while SC will certainly be good next season, without Wilson, they are no longer the dominant team in the SEC. IMO, any one of a number of teams could challenge for the league title, including A&M, that may well be the best of the bunch should Howard elect to stay. The other issue with SC is that Howard is not necessarily a starter. I see the starting lineup as Jennings, Harrigan, Harris, Cooper & Bianca-Cuevas with Grissett, Cliney & Howard, if she transfers, off the bench, not even taking into account any of the freshmen.

As for the other rumored teams, assuming that 2 of the FF teams are among them, a couple pose a challenge when it comes to PT for Howard who is an undersized but athletic forward. While ND graduates Westbeld & Nelson, they presumably get back a healthy Turner & Vaughan, Patterson is a year older and they bring in some talented freshmen. Louisville loses Hines-Allen, but everyone else is back plus some talented recruits. MS St is certainly a possibility, but even though McGowan is back and the Bulldogs do have some solid role players, they lose their top 4 shooters and their best all-around player. I would pick MS St to finish 4th or 5th in the SEC next year. Why leave A&M for MS St?

That brings us to the Huskies. Clearly the Huskies have a greater need for another rebounder than any of the other top teams. While some have argued that Geno wouldn't want to bring in a player and try to have her learn the system and play for only one year, I would suggest that he has nothing to lose. UConn returns 3 proven stars in Lou, Pheesa & Crystal. Hopefully, MW & perhaps Mikayla make significant sophomore leaps, they get something out of Touly and the 2 talented freshmen develop quickly. If so, maybe Howard is the "missing piece" that gets UConn a 12th championship. If not, you used an extra scholarship for a year and you move on.

You're not the only person to say that, but I think the Gamecocks will be better next season. I guess time will tell, but returning 4 starters plus adding Destanni Henderson, Te'a Cooper and hopefully, Bianca Cuevas-Moore and Anriel Howard will mean a lot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You're not the only person to say that, but I think the Gamecocks will be better next season. I guess time will tell, but returning 4 starters plus adding Destanni Henderson, Te'a Cooper and hopefully, Bianca Cuevas-Moore and Anriel Howard will mean a lot.
Lots of depth for sure, but SC can only play 5 at a time, and one of those 5 will not be NPOY A’ja Wilson.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
she is set to graduate from A&M in three years with a major in telecommunications media studies. That major will play a factor in the school she chooses, Che Howard said.

Don't see her coming to UCONN, but wouldn't having ESPN right down the road make a lot of sense?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Can I give you some friendly advice? Please stop commenting on women’s appearances; it has nothing to do with their basketball ability and it makes you look antiquated and small minded.

Also, you obviously know very little about hair extensions, makeup, etc. if you believe no one on Uconn wears these things on the court.
I know some of the players for UConn wear weave and hair extensions along with make-up. I think C.D. would asked Ariel Howard to tone it down, and I do not know if she would. I do not need you to educate me on anything. Also, Ariel might be asked to wear her uniform a certain way. Even though UConn's uniform is a short length.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
she is set to graduate from A&M in three years with a major in telecommunications media studies. That major will play a factor in the school she chooses, Che Howard said.

Don't see her coming to UCONN, but wouldn't having ESPN right down the road make a lot of sense?
Perhaps a phone call from Rebecca might be persuasive.

Reaction Score
We

If she does transfer, Howard will be eligible to play right away as a graduate transfer — she is set to graduate from A&M in three years with a major in telecommunications media studies. That major will play a factor in the school she chooses, Che Howard said.

"Just making sure she's under a great coaching staff and the school has a great program for her masters," Howard said of the main factors in her daughter's decision. "After both of those check out, she wants to help a team go all the way."

Howard declined to name the four other schools USC is competing against for Anriel's services, but she did say that of the five finalists, two advanced to the most recent Final Four on the NCAA tournament and two others, South Carolina being one, made it to the Sweet 16.

Notre Dame, Connecticut, Louisville and Mississippi State were this year's Final Four participants.

As for a timeline on Howard's decision, her mother said she would take official visits to all five schools first then choose soon after, "well before June."

Not sure if UCONN offers a grad program that satisfies her requirements. Can anyone verify? I didn't see a media studies type grad program. So if that's the case, we're not in the final 4. Knowing Geno, he gets turned off when players put UCONN on a list anyway so
this probably ain't happening.

Well ESPN is right down the road. Prettu big sports media company.....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Not sure if UCONN offers a grad program that satisfies her requirements. Can anyone verify? I didn't see a media studies type grad program. So if that's the case, we're not in the final 4. Knowing Geno, he gets turned off when players put UCONN on a list anyway so
this probably ain't happening.

I got up early today so I did a cursory scan of graduate program listings at ND, UConn, Mississippi State, University of Louisville and South Carolina. To the best of my viewing, only South Carolina has a full graduate course of studies in anything related to her undergrad program. Texas A&M also does not have a grad program in that area.

So, is there another school in the Sweet Sixteen (assuming it's not Texas &M) that has grad communication programs? After looking at six sites, I'll leave the guesswork and research work to someone else.

If this is a basketball decision, I think she's got as good -- if not, better - chance to contributing to a team chasing a title at Texas A&M as any other SEC School (MSU, S. Carolina). And the programs just don't seem to match up elsewhere. However, if the grad school requirements are not paramount, Louisville offers an almost apple for apple opportunity (she goes to the Hines-Allen slot).

If there are other things, well....stay tuned.

Reaction Score

Nice assessment of the situation. I hope Anriel sees the opportunity to get lots of ❤️ at UCONN. With ReBecca's ESPN connections in Bristol and Geno's close ties to SNY perhaps there is something here that will attract her to the Nutmeg state. Seems like we have a decent undergrad journalism program but not seeing much on line at the grad level. Home | Department of Journalism

Reaction Score
If this is a basketball decision, I think she's got as good -- if not, better - chance to contributing to a team chasing a title at Texas A&M as any other SEC School (MSU, S. Carolina). And the programs just don't seem to match up elsewhere. However, if the grad school requirements are not paramount, Louisville offers an almost apple for apple opportunity (she goes to the Hines-Allen slot).
I think the internet has been thinking about the NC condition in the wrong way... at least I have. I'm now thinking she's not being a NCAA version of Kevin Durant looking for her version of the Warriors. I'm now thinking it's more a case of balancing what she's giving up at A&M against the value of being closer to her mother.

I could be totally off base, but if true it makes it this odd transfer make more sense to me, especially if she ends up with Dawn. In addition to whatever A&M chances realistically would be if she stayed, she's losing a summer of working with teammates, and - perhaps more importantly for her long term goal in sports TV journalism - I'm not sure how this plays with WBB viewers or how much it follows her in her career. Not just the general issue of any transfer bailing on her team - it's in how much it really was her team. If there are chemistry problems we don't know about, she was given a lot of responsibility and credit by the coaches as a leader in setting the chemistry and a big part of building the happy public facade.

A&M fans are moving toward the last stages of the Kubler-Ross stages of grief. If she ends up at SC, I believe the Gamecocks will play the Ags in College Station next season. I hope we don't emulate how the SC fans welcomed Kelsey Bone when we played in Columbia.

Reaction Score

1. In my view, USC is a frontrunner for the SEC but is not the frontrunner. So we agree.
2. Other than Dawn in the past sticking with intact championship rosters and brining newcomers in off the bench, I don't know that there is much reason why Howard should not expect to start over Herbert-Harrigan, Grissett or Cliney. She's clearly demonstrated more ability than any of those players. If she's the missing piece to UConn's title hopes and expects to start for you, there is no reason to expect she would not start at South Carolina.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . . If there are chemistry problems we don't know about, she was given a lot of responsibility and credit by the coaches as a leader in setting the chemistry and a big part of building the happy public facade. . .

My first thought when I heard about the transfer was that the Chennedy Carter show was getting to Howard. The offensive strategy seems to be give the ball to Carter and let her shoot it. If she misses, only then do Howard and Hillsman become part of the strategy. (I know that's not literally true, but it sometimes seems that way.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice assessment of the situation. I hope Anriel sees the opportunity to get lots of ❤️ at UCONN. With ReBecca's ESPN connections in Bristol and Geno's close ties to SNY perhaps there is something here that will attract her to the Nutmeg state. Seems like we have a decent undergrad journalism program but not seeing much on line at the grad level. Home | Department of Journalism
I’m not sure if any schools that Howard might consider have graduate journalism programs. It’s just not that much in demand.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if any schools that Howard might consider have graduate journalism programs. It’s just not that much in demand.

From just below Confident Carl:
"I got up early today so I did a cursory scan of graduate program listings at ND, UConn, Mississippi State, University of Louisville and South Carolina. To the best of my viewing, only South Carolina has a full graduate course of communications studies in anything related to her undergrad program. Texas A&M also does not have a grad program in that area

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From just below Confident Carl:
"I got up early today so I did a cursory scan of graduate program listings at ND, UConn, Mississippi State, University of Louisville and South Carolina. To the best of my viewing, only South Carolina has a full graduate course of communications studies in anything related to her undergrad program. Texas A&M also does not have a grad program in that area
Well that cinches it, unless Rebecca comes through with a summer internship at ESPN.

Reaction Score
I'd be really surprised if Howard so much as makes a visit to Storrs...........she's South Carolina's to lose.............I'm looking for another graduate transfer that might bring immediate help to this pretty thin team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd be really surprised if Howard so much as makes a visit to Storrs......she's South Carolina's to lose...I'm looking for another graduate transfer that might bring immediate help to this pretty thin team.

I hope you are right. I'm tired of undersized "bigs"; maybe as tired as Gabby was at having to be that for Geno.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. I'm tired of undersized "bigs"; maybe as tired as Gabby was at having to be that for Geno.

Olivia O will certainly provide some help in that regard...........I think she'll eventually be a far more aggressive defender/shot blocker then Azura was although she'll have to hit the wait room right away............if Camara can regain her Kentucky form I think UConn will be OK...........if not I think rebounding and interior defense are going to be problematic..........looking for a 6'2"+ defender/rebounder who'd like to spend her final year in college being challenged by the master.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Olivia O will certainly provide some help in that regard......I think she'll eventually be a far more aggressive defender/shot blocker then Azura was although she'll have to hit the wait room right away..if Camara can regain her Kentucky form I think UConn will be OK......if not I think rebounding and interior defense are going to be problematic.....looking for a 6'2"+ defender/rebounder who'd like to spend her final year in college being challenged by the master..

The "wait room" was a Freudian slip, right? :)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'd be really surprised if Howard so much as makes a visit to Storrs......she's South Carolina's to lose...I'm looking for another graduate transfer that might bring immediate help to this pretty thin team.

In regards to graduate transfers, "for your consideration": ;)
(These are both undergrad and grad transfers)

Women’s Basketball Transfers: Spring/Summer 2018

Reaction Score
Just don’t see how SC gets her any closer to winning a championship. Very unlikely they even reach the FF. Maybe she just wants to be closer to home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom