Howard considering UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Howard from TAMU is considering UConn?

If I were her advisor I would recommend UCONN Any number of reasons:

Win a National Championship
Geno' connections with many players in WNBA & Olympic committee
Instant need and value with Gabby and Stevens gone
Become part of the greatest Women's Bball dynasty of all time
Be coached by the best staff in college basketball
Wants to go into sports broadcasting. ESPN, SNY and Rebecca Lobo are good local resourses.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now I only see 4 sure starters for UConn on Day 1: Lou, Pheesa, Crystal & MW. Howard could show up at UConn and compete for the 5th starting spot immediately.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Anriel Howard is one of my favorite non-Huskies. I would love it if she joined UConn for a season. I think it would be a net-positive, but understand the concerns about taking a player with just one year left.

To add to what Old Dude said, Howard competed in outdoor track for the Aggies for at least one season. (Napheesa Collier was a track and field athlete of some repute, although not in the class of Howard and Williams.)

Reaction Score
I've seen Anriel a lot; Gabby only on TV. While there are similarities in size and athleticism, Gabby has struck me a much more finished product during her career, especially on the offensive end. Anriel's success vs ND from the 3 point distance is atypical, but maybe it will develop more as she works on her game. She worked very hard on her shooting last summer. Their D is hard for me to compare because of the differences in scheme.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Howard was coached for four years by Gary Blair. She has known discipline and would come into the program more experienced and disciplined than Stevens.
Only 3 years at A&M, but your point is well taken.

Reaction Score
Howard was coached for four years by Gary Blair. She has known discipline and would come into the program more experienced and disciplined than Stevens.

I disagree with that. Have you watched her play a lot? She took ill advised three pointer shots. Does not have a mid range game. Howard is a great rebounder and got lots of offensive rebounds and putbacks. UCONN will not go after her. Let's just put it this way, I'd rather have Stevens shooting the three and mid range jumpshots than Howard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My understanding of the graduate transfer rule is that the player must pursue a graduate degree not offered at her previous school. Further research, though, indicates the requirement for graduate degree study in a course not offered in the previous school is no longer required; Just graduation. Why not take her if she wants to come to UConn? A proven player at a top program; Experience, toughness, enough discipline to graduate in three years. Use a scholarship just to keep her from competing against you down the line.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I will be shocked if Anriel Howard wants to go to UConn. I think she’s a spectacular player and an impressive young woman, but I just don’t see it as a good fit.

Reaction Score
I disagree with that. Have you watched her play a lot? She took ill advised three pointer shots. Does not have a mid range game. Howard is a great rebounder and got lots of offensive rebounds and putbacks. UCONN will not go after her. Let's just put it this way, I'd rather have Stevens shooting the three and mid range jumpshots than Howard.

If she calls Geno, I believe he will take the call. Hope, Lou and Pheesa are texting with Anriel to make a visit to Storrs.

Howard averaged a career-high 12.1 points and 12.2 rebounds last season including 26 points and 14 rebounds in A&M's Sweet 16 loss to Notre Dame.

If Howard ends up leaving, she will finish tied for the A&M career rebounding average and ranks sixth in double-doubles with 13.

Reaction Score
If she calls Geno, I believe he will take the call. Hope, Lou and Pheesa are texting with Anriel to make a visit to Storrs.

Howard averaged a career-high 12.1 points and 12.2 rebounds last season including 26 points and 14 rebounds in A&M's Sweet 16 loss to Notre Dame.

If Howard ends up leaving, she will finish tied for the A&M career rebounding average and ranks sixth in double-doubles with 13.
Your information is out of date - perhaps from the media guide from before this season. Howard already holds the records at A&M for rebounds and double doubles for both career and single season. She had 20 double-doubles this season. These are the categories where she's first in the A&M record book:

Career rebounds to date: 1,002 (first Aggie to break 1K)
Career double doubles to date: 33
Career rebounding average: 9.8
Single season rebounds: 439 (2017-18)
Single season rebounding avg: 12.2 (I'm guessing on this one, but the second place in single season rebounds was at 10.5 in 1978-9)
Single game rebounds: 27

Reaction Score
Your information is out of date - perhaps from the media guide from before this season. Howard already holds the records at A&M for rebounds and double doubles for both career and single season. She had 20 double-doubles this season. These are the categories where she's first in the A&M record book:

Career rebounds to date: 1,002 (first Aggie to break 1K)
Career double doubles to date: 33
Career rebounding average: 9.8
Single season rebounds: 439 (2017-18)
Single season rebounding avg: 12.2 (I'm guessing on this one, but the second place in single season rebounds was at 10.5 in 1978-9)
Single game rebounds: 27

Thanks for the update! Even better!

I understand the arguments that some are making about Ariena submitting to and fitting into UCONN's system. Genio has Olympic experience teaching outstanding athletes to come together as a cohesive unit. One would hope she would buy into playing the UCONN way. If not, Geno has the power of the bench. Somehow, I don't see that being utilized that often.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SEC not exactly filled with great shooters= a lot of rebounding opportunities.
Even more so on a team like A&M, who’s offense is basically Carter bringing the ball up the court and going one on one.

Reaction Score
Looks like she'd have her choice of schools. A school like Maryland might be a good fit for her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hey all:

Looks like Arniel Howard's mother is giving a bit of insight into whom Anriel Howard is looking at to play next season. South Carolina is most certainly one of them and two came from this year's final four contestants.
I've cut and pasted the relevant paragraphs and provided a link to the story.

Didn't think of Louisville initially, but with Hines-Allen graduating, a transfer there would make a lot of sense from a rebounding perspective. As for whom the other final four team is, I initially thought Mississippi State University would not be considered due to Vic Schaefer's close ties to Gary Blair at A&M, but you never know. Still can't see this transfer happening at either ND or UConn, IMHO.

Stay tuned.

"Che Howard declined to name the four other schools USC is competing against for Anriel's services, but she did say that of the five finalists, two advanced to the most recent Final Four on the NCAA tournament and two others, South Carolina being one, made it to the Sweet 16.

"Notre Dame, Connecticut, Louisville and Mississippi State were this year's Final Four participants.

As for a timeline on Howard's decision, her mother said she would take official visits to all five schools first then choose soon after, "well before June."

Elite SEC player has South Carolina among finalists for potential transfer

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey all:

Looks like Arniel Howard's mother is giving a bit of insight into whom Anriel Howard is looking at to play next season. South Carolina is most certainly one of them and two came from this year's final four contestants.
I've cut and pasted the relevant paragraphs and provided a link to the story.

Didn't think of Louisville initially, but with Hines-Allen graduating, a transfer there would make a lot of sense from a rebounding perspective. As for whom the other final four team is, I initially thought Mississippi State University would not be considered due to Vic Schaefer's close ties to Gary Blair at A&M, but you never know. Still can't see this transfer happening at either ND or UConn, IMHO.

Stay tuned.

"Che Howard declined to name the four other schools USC is competing against for Anriel's services, but she did say that of the five finalists, two advanced to the most recent Final Four on the NCAA tournament and two others, South Carolina being one, made it to the Sweet 16.

"Notre Dame, Connecticut, Louisville and Mississippi State were this year's Final Four participants.

As for a timeline on Howard's decision, her mother said she would take official visits to all five schools first then choose soon after, "well before June."

Elite SEC player has South Carolina among finalists for potential transfer
Much of this has been covered in the Transfer thread with additional tidbits from @SCspur who is friends with Howard's parents.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this would really fill a gap. I just can't see her starting because she has never played in a motion offense like UConn. If she wanted to learn that style to prepare her for the next level and come off the bench then maybe it could work.
Actually feel she would excel in UConn's offense. I have the SEC network and seen her play many times. Very intuitive moving to basket in way that would net layups. Gabby was a spectacular rebounder, particularly due to her jumping, but Howard has nearly the same lift and is uncanny in her ability to be where the ball comes off basket. Not Gabby's defensive skills, but close and a case could be made she is better defensive rebounder. Has been well coached.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Much of this has been covered in the Transfer thread with additional tidbits from @SCspur who is friends with Howard's parents.

Thanks for the guidance:
I've recently been having trouble of keeping track of which thread to use. To wit:
- a personalized thread gets usurped by the transfer track.
On the other hand:
- the coaching carousel thread, which I've been trying to contribute to, gets usurped by the firing of a coach.

Ah, betwixt and between. :rolleyes:Head bang

When I saw nothing had been written here in a bit, I should've figured something else was up...or somewhere else.

p.s. Been going back and forth with "McGraw's Bench." As you can guess, it's been a busy place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon State needs her as much as any team, but would she come out to the "wet & dreary" Pacific Northwest to play for Scott Rueck?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few random thoughts on Howard's potential transfer:

I always take the publically stated reasons for a transfer with a grain of salt. In my experience, it's usually about lack of playing time, which is clearly not the case in this instance, or the player has a problem with their teammate(s) and/or coach.

I know SC has been mentioned, and may well be the frontrunner, but there are several problems with Howard becoming a Gamecock. First off, while SC will certainly be good next season, without Wilson, they are no longer the dominant team in the SEC. IMO, any one of a number of teams could challenge for the league title, including A&M, that may well be the best of the bunch should Howard elect to stay. The other issue with SC is that Howard is not necessarily a starter. I see the starting lineup as Jennings, Harrigan, Harris, Cooper & Bianca-Cuevas with Grissett, Cliney & Howard, if she transfers, off the bench, not even taking into account any of the freshmen.

As for the other rumored teams, assuming that 2 of the FF teams are among them, a couple pose a challenge when it comes to PT for Howard who is an undersized but athletic forward. While ND graduates Westbeld & Nelson, they presumably get back a healthy Turner & Vaughan, Patterson is a year older and they bring in some talented freshmen. Louisville loses Hines-Allen, but everyone else is back plus some talented recruits. MS St is certainly a possibility, but even though McGowan is back and the Bulldogs do have some solid role players, they lose their top 4 shooters and their best all-around player. I would pick MS St to finish 4th or 5th in the SEC next year. Why leave A&M for MS St?

That brings us to the Huskies. Clearly the Huskies have a greater need for another rebounder than any of the other top teams. While some have argued that Geno wouldn't want to bring in a player and try to have her learn the system and play for only one year, I would suggest that he has nothing to lose. UConn returns 3 proven stars in Lou, Pheesa & Crystal. Hopefully, MW & perhaps Mikayla make significant sophomore leaps, they get something out of Touly and the 2 talented freshmen develop quickly. If so, maybe Howard is the "missing piece" that gets UConn a 12th championship. If not, you used an extra scholarship for a year and you move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom