Howard considering UConn? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Howard considering UConn?

Reaction Score
Just don’t see how SC gets her any closer to winning a championship. Very unlikely they even reach the FF. Maybe she just wants to be closer to home.

Does she really have to play with a team that's a sure thing to reach the final four or does she just want to play knowing that she'll make the big tournament? I'm not sure that some of those top ranked teams like ND, Baylor, Oregon............either need her or have the room for her............Louisville and UConn could certainly use her services...........if she wants to come up north that would be great but I'm certainly not sweating it.............

Reaction Score
Does she really have to play with a team that's a sure thing to reach the final four or does she just want to play knowing that she'll make the big tournament? I'm not sure that some of those top ranked teams like ND, Baylor, Oregon..either need her or have the room for her..Louisville and UConn could certainly use her services......if she wants to come up north that would be great but I'm certainly not sweating it...

If she wants the assurance of making the big tournament, then A&M is a sure bet. Those close to her said she wanted to compete for a title when news of her potential transfer broke. Then, her mother added that she wants to go somewhere with a good Masters program. If she’s serious about getting that national championship, then South Carolina (or anywhere in the SEC imo) is going to be the answer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Word is, Howard is coming on an official this weekend to Storrs! Yes, I was one that doubted they would take her, especially for just one year but it seems they do want her. We could definitely use her!!!
Can you identify the source?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Word is, Howard is coming on an official this weekend to Storrs! Yes, I was one that doubted they would take her, especially for just one year but it seems they do want her. We could definitely use her!!!
201601_2031_bebba_sm.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Howard decides to come to Storrs, it's not completely clear to me how Geno might use her as a starter, or coming off the bench. Clearly, she is an experienced, athletic player who would be an extremely welcome addition to UConn. As most have noted, she's an undersized frontcourt player, with great hops who can rebound at both ends of the court. She's a capable offensive threat with 3-pt range. Three years of playing in the SEC as an undersized forward certainly speaks to her toughness.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Howard decides to come to Storrs, it's not completely clear to me how Geno might use her as a starter, or coming off the bench. Clearly, she is an experienced, athletic player who would be an extremely welcome addition to UConn. As most have noted, she's an undersized frontcourt player, with great hops who can rebound at both ends of the court. She's a capable offensive threat with 3-pt range. Three years of playing in the SEC as an undersized forward certainly speaks to her toughness.

It should be pointed out that she's hit 11 threes in her career on 33 attempts. Doubt Geno would even allow her to take threes at UConn. Not much point of having her on the roster if she's not using her quickness and athleticism inside.

Reaction Score
It should be pointed out that she's hit 11 threes in her career on 33 attempts. Doubt Geno would even allow her to take threes at UConn. Not much point of having her on the roster if she's not using her quickness and athleticism inside.

I think she had that one game against ND where she hit a few threes but she's far more adept shooting from 10-15 feet out............if I saw it in writing that she was really considering UConn, I would feel better about having this discussion

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but she was 2 of 3 from the arc in her monster game vs ND a few weeks back.

Reaction Score
I know some posted that they heard she was coming for a visit, but what source releases that information?

Reaction Score
Actually Howard was 12-39 from 3pt range this year which is even lower. She also shot only 44% from 2. She does not have a good mid range jumper. She gets most of her makes right at the basket which a lot came from offensive putbacks. I watched her play a lot this year. Great athlete, but I don’t see her fitting a role very well at UCONN. JMO.

Reaction Score
Why not if she got confidence in the shot. 33% isn't bad without concentrating on it. We don't know what the instruction TXAM was on her shot options. She may want to develop her shot and be close to ESPN as well as NY media market. Also getting to a FF might be nice for her even if she does come off the bench. I can't see her starting just because it would take time to learn the offense.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If she does transfer, Howard will be eligible to play right away as a graduate transfer — she is set to graduate from A&M in three years with a major in telecommunications media studies. That major will play a factor in the school she chooses, Che Howard said.

Anyone hear about ESPN. I think they are kind of close to Storrs. I can remember when a potential recruit wanted to see the ESPN facilities and someone complained about it. If Media Studies are a major factor, I would have to think UConn would be in the mix.

Reaction Score
What I will say about her from watching her play is she shows a blue collar chip on her shoulder I'll show you sort of demeanor which I think the blue blood UConn women could use a little of. Mind you I love our players but they lack an edge especially now without Kia.

Reaction Score
Anyone hear about ESPN. I think they are kind of close to Storrs. I can remember when a potential recruit wanted to see the ESPN facilities and someone complained about it. If Media Studies are a major factor, I would have to think UConn would be in the mix.

We've been saying that, especially because Rebecca Lobo has a prominent role at ESPN. UCONN Women are also. featured on SNY. Geno has his own show on SNY.
UConn programming

Time will tell what happens.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually Howard was 12-39 from 3pt range this year which is even lower. She also shot only 44% from 2. She does not have a good mid range jumper. She gets most of her makes right at the basket which a lot came from offensive putbacks. I watched her play a lot this year. Great athlete, but I don’t see her fitting a role very well at UCONN. JMO.
A&M runs basically no offensive sets to get players open shots, so 44% is probably pretty good shooting on a team where it’s every player for themselves. As information, FOY Chennedy Carter shot only 44% as well.

Put Howard in UConn’s motion offense with 4 teammates who all pass the ball and she would easily shoot over 50%.

Reaction Score
We've been saying that, especially because Rebecca Lobo has a prominent role at ESPN. UCONN Women are also. featured on SNY. Geno has his own show on SNY.
UConn programming

Time will tell what happens.

I believe Rebecca's biggest fan is Sam Brunelle...............could or couldn't close the deal on that one depending on who you believe

Reaction Score
A&M runs basically no offensive sets to get players open shots, so 44% is probably pretty good shooting on a team where it’s every player for themselves. As information, FOY Chennedy Carter shot only 44% as well.

Put Howard in UConn’s motion offense with 4 teammates who all pass the ball and she would easily shoot over 50%.

The more I think about this whole Anriel Howard situation, it make most sense that she comes to play for a Geno and UCONN. She is the perfect puzzle piece to fill the void of Gabby and Stevens. UCONN has the National exposure and the access to major Women's Bball sports networks.

I like UCONN's chances especially with the loss of Stevens. For all I know the decision has already been made and they are working on the PR effect of adding Anriel.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe Rebecca's biggest fan is Sam Brunelle.....could or couldn't close the deal on that one depending on who you believe
I know that Geno and Rebecca are very close, but I had no idea that Geno empowered her to offer scholarships to HS recruits? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I know that Geno and Rebecca are very close, but I had no idea that Geno empowered her to offer scholarships to HS recruits? :rolleyes:

highly unlikely but not a bad idea...............;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom