Geno got punked! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno got punked!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There are valid criticisms of Geno's coaching all over the women's board.

You, in typical fashion, have manufactured something to criticize him for. You glommed on to a resurrected tweet from 4 years ago that you found on the internet overnight and have turned it in to a made-up scenario where a kid is got revenge on Geno because he actually thought she was a great player and was mad he didn't get her.

Only here and by your twisted logic can that happen!

The moderator of the women's board came here and said the complete opposite of this...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is not at all about his coaching. This is all about him being a jerk to a kid on twitter who chose to play elsewhere. If anyone between the ages of 12 and 65 cared about women’s basketball it would’ve been a big story in 2014.
See Jimmy, you’re dislike of women’s hoops (and you are certainly not a UConn fan if you didn’t care who won) leads you to agree with Whaler’s cherry pick of the guy doing a dumb thing as an example of how he normally handles things. As I said, you have no point aside from being snobby about the value of females playing hoops, and at our State U better than anywhere else. Geno is a wise ass and Calhoun was often a jerk. Ever see him kick the scorer’s table with some guy sitting in a chair on the other side just doing his job? That stuff bother you the same way? Kiss a greyhound for me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am guessing if we compared Geno's lifetime accomplishments side by side with yours, you would regret it. I see a guy who is constantly angry and has over 32,000 posts on a message board, yet you see fit to criticize a guy with 11 National Championships. Perhaps a little perspective would help?

LOL - Guy who has an entire posting history that is mad about Ollie. Google irony when you get a shot.

At least this guy admits - no one is allowed to criticize Geno even when he is attacking teenagers because they rejected him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You still haven't answered anything.

What was Geno's fault.

the lack of boxing out?
that 5 players far more athletic consistently got beat by the fattest player on the floor all the way down the court?
the they threw passes to no one, or even directly to ND?
that they were taking open shot and hitting only backboard or nothing?

i gave you that Geno's appraoch to the zone was not normal and certainly not the way it's discussed whenever we discuss Cuse on the Men's board.

But the biggest reasons they lost were the reasons I just listed above. Geno is on the list, but he's not top 5.

Fair is fair. When the men look like they are unprepared to deal with the other team, I blamed Ollie. When the women look like they are unprepared, I'll blame Geno. They looked unprepared. Couldn't get a decent shot off and couldn't stop Notre Dame from getting to the basket. Yes, they missed some open looks, just like the men did, but they often took those shots without moving the ball the way they can, or in desperation.

He's the captain of the ship, he takes the blame or praise. That's how it works.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You, in typical fashion, have manufactured something to criticize him for. You glommed on to a resurrected tweet from 4 years ago that you found on the internet overnight and have turned it in to a made-up scenario where a kid is got revenge on Geno because he actually thought she was a great player and was mad he didn't get her.

Yes a 60 year old, 3 million dollar a year state employee should be sarcastically attacking a teenager who rejected him in public.

There is no fair criticism of that.

#whatajoke

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The moderator of the women's board came here and said the complete opposite of this...

So what. His team fell apart down the stretch. They didn't look prepared for certain things. Some of that has to fall on him. He's lost 3 OT games in the past 4 seasons and in that context the criticisms come across as sounding a bit crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a hilariously stupid take. Successful people can and will be criticized by people less successful than them it makes the world go round.

Some people also tackle challenges and don’t stay off broadway.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes a 60 year old, 3 million dollar a year state employee should be sarcastically attacking a teenager who rejected him in public.

There is no fair criticism of that.

#whatajoke

He was roundly criticized for the tweet at the time which was 4 years ago! He deserved it. You knew nothing about it back then. Now, 4 years later, you've turned it in to made-up revenge issue. That's a joke.

Reaction Score

It’s only noteworthy today because she got her revenge. If anyone other than grandparents and their grandchildren cared about women’s basketball this would’ve been a big story in 2014. You think K or Cal could make these comments on twitter and go unscathed for 4 years? Even those 2 scumbags have enough class not to do that.

Reaction Score
He was roundly criticized for the tweet at the time which was 4 years ago! He deserved it. You knew nothing about it back then. Now, 4 years later, you've turned it in to made-up revenge issue. That's a joke.

Real sports fans didn’t hear about this. Only the Geno sycophants heard about it.

Reaction Score
If and when Geno (and Chris) wins #12, this program will be stamped as the greatest college basketball dynasty of all-time. Insane that women's college basketball has become as big as it has as fast as it has.

Let's hope that happens. Along with Brady winning Super Bowl #6! :D

Reaction Score
See Jimmy, you’re dislike of women’s hoops (and you are certainly not a UConn fan if you didn’t care who won) leads you to agree with Whaler’s cherry pick of the guy doing a dumb thing as an example of how he normally handles things. As I said, you have no point aside from being snobby about the value of females playing hoops, and at our State U better than anywhere else. Geno is a wise ass and Calhoun was often a jerk. Ever see him kick the scorer’s table with some guy sitting in a chair on the other side just doing his job? That stuff bother you the same way? Kiss a greyhound for me.
How is this cherry-picked and not newsworthy? The girl who just ended Geno's season and Miss. State's season was attacked by Geno in an incredibly childish manner on twitter. If this was all of the same circumstances in the men's game, this would be discussed nonstop on all of sports tv and radio.

We also have posters routinely attacking college kids and NBA players for far less embarrassing tweets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Maybe when you have enough posts you’ll understand better how the world works.

You see it was small news to a handful of people 4 years ago. Most people try not to pay attention to 60 year olds having social media temper tantrums when 17 years olds hurt their feelings.

When this happens... it becomes news to a lot more people.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How is this cherry-picked and not newsworthy? The girl who just ended Geno's season and Miss. State's season was attacked by Geno in an incredibly childish manner on twitter. If this was all of the same circumstances in the men's game, this would be discussed nonstop on all of sports tv and radio.

We also have posters routinely attacking college kids and NBA players for far less embarrassing tweets.

It’s looking for an issue where there isnt one. Just because he dislikes Geno.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe when you have enough posts you’ll understand better how the world works.

You see it was small news to a handful of people 4 years ago. Most people try not to pay attention to 60 year olds having social media temper tantrums when 17 years olds hurt their feelings.

When this happens... it becomes news to a lot more people.

Nope. Maybe if you posted less you would realize that young people's minds are much bigger than yours.

BTW, you seem thrilled that the UConn women lost. That's pretty telling. You must really hate the guy. Congrats.

Reaction Score
Nope. Maybe if you posted less you would realize that young people's minds are much bigger than yours.

BTW, you seem thrilled that the UConn women lost. That's pretty telling. You must really hate the guy. Congrats.

You should really stick to the board where this wouldn’t even be allowed to be mentioned.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Fair is fair. When the men look like they are unprepared to deal with the other team, I blamed Ollie. When the women look like they are unprepared, I'll blame Geno. They looked unprepared. Couldn't get a decent shot off and couldn't stop Notre Dame from getting to the basket. Yes, they missed some open looks, just like the men did, but they often took those shots without moving the ball the way they can, or in desperation.

He's the captain of the ship, he takes the blame or praise. That's how it works.

I agree with that. They didn't handle the 2-3 well. And not having gabby post up at the FT line all day was just odd. I think this is the most legitimate criticism you can have for Geno for the game. Without question it's totally fair.

But they could've won without that.

there's no excuse for the sloppy passes (how many passes were literally just thrown away or literally right to a ND player?), the missed open layups etc. And again, there's no excuse for not running back and girl as wide as Sheperd is getting down the floor before them.

And, still, after all that the difference was still that Young (not a good shooter) had a career game and Nurse and Dangerfield were just terrible shooting the ball.

I think if this didn't happen last year there would be a stronger case. But once again the nerves of playing under the bright lights at the FF got to them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I actually like Geno.

It’s the portion of the fanbase that acts like you I can’t stand. There is a nice benefit waching people like you and Q melt over even the slightest criticism of him.

BTW if you are claiming that young people don’t react to being criticized on social media you should probably stop posting - that’s the single most incorrect thing ever posted here.

Reaction Score
It’s looking for an issue where there isnt one. Just because he dislikes Geno.
Don't you realize this would be a major story if it was the same circumstances in the mens game? If Calhoun wrote that tweet about Kyle Lowry and then Lowry went and hit a Kemba like shot to end Calhoun's perfect season and stop him from winning another national championship, Calhoun would get trashed and rightfully so.

the Q

Reaction Score
I actually like Geno.

It’s the portion of the fanbase that acts like you I can’t stand. There is a nice benefit waching people like you and Q melt over even the slightest criticism of him.

BTW if you are claiming that young people don’t react to being criticized on social media you should probably stop posting - that’s the single most incorrect thing ever posted here.

It's funny you keep saying this when I literally criticized him in this very thread.

I even mentioned he made multiple mistakes against Miss St...again, in this very thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's funny you keep saying this when I literally criticized him in this very thread.

I even mentioned he made multiple mistakes against Miss St...again, in this very thread.

Even when you ‘criticize’ him you do it in the context of blaming the players.

the Q

Reaction Score
Even when you ‘criticize’ him you do it in the context of blaming the players.

No i didn't.

I said the team wasn't ready to handle the 2-3 and he didn't attack it like you normally would (attacking the FT line). That's on him.

I said for the Miss St game that he didn't have them push the pace and play at their pace, they played at Miss St's pace (that's on him and he has admitted that since)

I said it was his mistake for not running the last possession for Gabby (the only player who played even decent against Miss St) when Chong made that critical mistake.

I thought he should've tried to steal a few more minutes out of butler and have Gabby guard either Itty Bitty or Vivians more in that game.

But the players jogging up and dwn the floor to the point where a whale like Sheperd is beating them, or missing easy shots because of nerves, or making beyond stupid unforced errors, i'm not putting that on Geno. Players need to execute a gameplan too. There's 2 parts to a successful gameplan. Design and execution. The design is a Geno thing. I thought his 2-3 plan was lacking.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I actually like Geno.

You like Geno. Sure you do. I know your history pal.

It's posters like you who make stuff up that I can't stand. We're even.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom