Geno got punked! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Geno got punked!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How many tied games with a few minutes left has he coached in the past two seasons? I know of three- ND, Miss State and Tulane? He lost two of them and is 0-7 in his last seven OT's. It is what it is, almost every game he coaches is a blowout, the rare tied game and I like the other team's chances.

Also, the last few years have had a lot of undefeated type teams, who didn't have to go through the crucible, so to speak. Without building that experience, it's naturally difficult to perform optimally in those circumstances as a player. And that's a player thing in terms of lack of experience. Geno's been there, but a lot of the girls haven't.

Reaction Score
Look over a whole career. That's what would give you the real numbers. You got recency bias on top of selection bias.

Depends far more on which kids he has than it does Geno choking it at the end of games.

Thought for years Geno has recruited too many 'nice' kids.
Well I haven't liked him in a tied game in the last few minutes for many years now. He seems to tighten and the players follow his lead. I'll always remember that year when ND had Diggins and beat UConn all three times during the season. Each game Geno seemed tight and even confused at the end and it ended in disaster each time. Luckily he is such a good coach that they improved and blew out ND when it really mattered to win the championship.

Reaction Score
It was Geno. He recruited and really wanted this player. She decided to announce her top 5 on twitter at a designated time. All were invited to tune in, including coaches. No phone call. Hey, tune in on my twitter feed if you want to know if you should still recruit me.

Geno's tweet was frustration at the process this kid and other kids choose to announce top 5s and top 10s and to inform coaches who have spent time trying to get to know them and travel to watch them play. Should he have tweeted that? Of course not. A lot of people understood his frustration but there's a better way to address it. This is how kids do these sorts of things these days. How that has turned in to Geno getting punked 4 years later is a mystery but whatever makes you boys feel better. I can't imagine Arike is still thinking about that tweet. But some idiot brings it up and as sure as night follows day the usual suspect over here needs to harangue Geno once again.

Why is it that over here on the boys's side there is never enough that Geno can do for the University of Connecticut? I know the boys haven't been very good lately but why does that cause some here to turn on one of the University's own? Is he a proxy for some other types of feelings? I guess he should just shut up and coach. It's really weird.

My God. Some people really just can’t take an L.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Calhoun got KILLED through the 90s for not getting to the Final Four.

Who said Geno doesn’t have what it takes.

He sarastically mocked a teenager and she beat him in the end. Why does that fact cause such angst? He isn’t infallible even if you’ve convinced yourself he is.
There's a vast difference between how you frequently choose to frame things and the, "Oh I was just . . ." that you like to claim.
If only . . .

Reaction Score
Look over a whole career. That's what would give you the real numbers. You got recency bias on top of selection bias.

Depends far more on which kids he has than it does Geno choking it at the end of games.

Thought for years Geno has recruited too many 'nice' kids.
I've got no idea how he coaches in close games since I tune in if I remember two times a year in the Final Four-ish. But in the game we are talking about, with 20 seconds left UConn came from 5pts back in regulation to tie the game and send it to OT. Who was tight?! If NDame loses that game its portrayed as a choke job and/or great coaching. Then a player makes a very tough shot on a one-on-one move (although not as tough as the shot she makes next game!?) and NDame wins. Regardless of what got to that last moment, its about as random an outcome as you can possibly get.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well I haven't liked him in a tied game in the last few minutes for many years now. He seems to tighten and the players follow his lead. I'll always remember that year when ND had Diggins and beat UConn all three times during the season. Each game Geno seemed tight and even confused at the end and it ended in disaster each time. Luckily he is such a good coach that they improved and blew out ND when it really mattered to win the championship.

Fair enough, I'm not saying you have to like him in tight games, just that recent numbers aren't reflective of the whole. For example in games less than 10 points against TN, it's been damn near 50/50. I mean, there's been a ton of close games.

Another way to look at this, UCONN very rarely gets beat handily. So if you want to beat UCONN, you must win a close game. If he won most of the close games, they'd practically never lose a game. In order to beat UCONN at all, you've got to win a close game.

A bunch of those ND losses during the Diggins years were when she (an elite player) was in her prime and UCONN was super young and inexperienced. In big moments, it favored Diggins. Especially 2012 when UCONN had no seniors, 2 juniors and a bunch of frosh (between the Maya/Breanna years).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The last one is the only one I’d blame on geno.

They lost the first time after KML hurt her ankle and couldn’t hit anything down the stretch (including almost airballkng a wide open 3 for the win), if anything he probably should’ve taken her off the floor.

Second time tuck missed a ft that would’ve iced it and McBride got a 5 bounce 3 to roll in and force ot.

3rd time he should’ve called time out twice on the last possession when his girls got stuck in bad situations, eventually turning it over for an uncontested layup to win it.

But games hat close man, it’s really just a lucky bounce here or a bad call there (like someone else already said).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've got no idea how he coaches in close games since I tune in if I remember two times a year in the Final Four-ish. But in the game we are talking about, with 20 seconds left UConn came from 5pts back in regulation to tie the game and send it to OT. Who was tight?! If NDame loses that game its portrayed as a choke job and/or great coaching. Then a player makes a very tough shot on a one-on-one move (although not as tough as the shot she makes next game!?) and NDame wins. Regardless of what got to that last moment, its about as random an outcome as you can possibly get.

Exactly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like that about him too.

But in this thread I learned another thing I like about him. If hes hanging out in bars taking peoples cigs and chainsmoking them then it kinda makes him the man, to be honest.

He's one of the coaches you'd probably enjoy most having a beer in a bar with. Him and Raff with a couple of beers at 2am in NYC? Would be hilarious. Sign me up.

Reaction Score
Geno: 11 National Championships
Ogumiwale (sp?): 1 National Championship

She sure did teach him a lesson.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I love Raftery, hilarious guy and an incredible player once upon a time.

It will be a really sad day when he has to hang it up.

I don't even care that he's getting a little senile and hard of seeing. He's still very entertaining. He doesn't try to hard...which pretty much everyone else seems to these days.

I've got second hand from a friend who saw him court-side pouring rum into his coke cup one time. Which is hilarious.

Reaction Score
Most of them only root for the women’s basketball team. They aren’t real UConn fans anyway according to Cohen.
You’re the one with selective rooting bias. I root for any and every UConn team, men or women.

Reaction Score
I don't even care that he's getting a little senile and hard of seeing. He's still very entertaining. He doesn't try to hard...which pretty much everyone else seems to these days.

I've got second hand from a friend who saw him court-side pouring rum into his coke cup one time. Which is hilarious.
He's just a hilarious dude, he throws out his man to man, onions, lingerie stuff but with him it doesn't feel gimmicky because it's funny and he's so likable. He also doesn't get in the way of his partners and he really knows and loves the game.

It's going to suck when guys like Raftery and Hubie Brown have to hang it up because of age, they are basketball encyclopedias. There is something about NJ/NY guys from that era, they live and breathe basketball.

Reaction Score
You’re the one with selective rooting bias. I root for any and every UConn team, men or women.

You and Cohen are UConn superfans. You both win an early bird dinner for 2 at Applebee’s (offer not valid after 4:45 PM local time).

Reaction Score
I love Geno. But he comes out of this one with the egg on his face. Just a stupid tweet, by a man who most likely did it not knowing those things don’t go away. Geno is still the wcbb GOAT. But the ND chick is badass

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom