Geno got punked! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Geno got punked!

Reaction Score
Uh oh, Raftery thinks he's watching Seton Hall play Michigan.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Calhoun’s players did not view him as a jack ass”. Not at all.
#ChiefCertified

Depends on which player. Have my sources, too. Anyway, what I said was that he could be a jack ass to his players by things he did, just like Auriemma. I know they loved public humiliation I didn’t say they considered him to be a jack ass,I said he could be a jack ass. Just an idle observation from a fan from the Fred Shabel era.

Reaction Score
Some boys hate the girls game. They even hate that UCONN is so dominant in that sport - if that sounds odd, it is. Their curmudgeonly behavior gets in the toilet when both the MBB & FB are in dire Challenge years. They just suck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You and Cohen are UConn superfans. You both win an early bird dinner for 2 at Applebee’s (offer not valid after 4:45 PM local time).
Nice avatar. Someone must love twisting your panties.

Reaction Score
Did I say Geno should quit?

No. But his overtime record doesn't make him a bad coach. His team doesn't get to play in those sorts of situations much, and without a killer personality on the team that will take over a game when others get skittish (like a Taurasi) I'm not sure what he can do. I'm not saying he is perfect, but it isn't a surprise to me that a team that wins by 36.1 points a game (the current year scoring margin) gets tight in a tight game. So I'm not going to kill him for it.

Reaction Score
No. But his overtime record doesn't make him a bad coach. His team doesn't get to play in those sorts of situations much, and without a killer personality on the team that will take over a game when others get skittish (like a Taurasi) I'm not sure what he can do. I'm not saying he is perfect, but it isn't a surprise to me that a team that wins by 36.1 points a game (the current year scoring margin) gets tight in a tight game. So I'm not going to kill him for it.
And he was decent in close games. 1-1 with ND, beat Texas, Louisville. There really weren’t any others close.

Reaction Score
As usual the truth on The Boneyard is somewhere in between.

- Auriemma did get punked. He called the girl out and she made him pay. She is now the star of women's hoops, a legend forever, and probably shifted the tide from UConn to Notre Dame for the next couple years. He look's stupid. Period.

- A lot of today's athletes take to social media and dick around the adults recruiting them. Announcing a Final 5 on social media? Come on. She got her revenge but I thought it was a pretty amusing tweet on his part at the time.

- Auriemma is covered by adoring sycophants that rarely ask him an uncomfortable question. His games are called by Meg Culmo a former player. Analysis by former player Kara Wolters. Wolters expert analysis during the NCAA preview show was that UConn would win because "they have the best coach!". Horde that laugh at his jokes while they look at him adoringly. The guy just trashed in public an AAC school Cincinnati for having the audacity to fire his former player Jamelle Elliot. Apparently the miserable 9 year coaching record of hers should have been ignored. How dare Cincinnati try to find a coach that can score more than 21 points against Geno in an AAC semi-final. Only a guy who is not challenged would go after a school in such a personal way for such a reasonable decision on their part. Again, embarrassing.

- The women's board does have a brave group who does try to challenge some of the things they are seeing. Every coaching decision and player flaw that led to the Mississippi St loss was clearly evident to some of us as the year started playing out. Not developing the bench during numerous blowouts, shortening the bench to 6, over relying on the starters to a fault even when they didn't match up with certain teams, over relying on practices as the final judgment of a player, the strength of the AAC etc. The response was to get rid of Game threads and move to Game chats.

- Auriemma's team is the only thing keeping UConn in the national sports scenes in a positive light now for 3 years.

- Auriemma is a great recruiter and motivator. When things are going well and everything is nice and tidy and a team is either over matched or waves the white flag early (most games) it's all good. The very few times we've seen them in really tight situational close down to the wire games, they can't get a stop or execute when they need it or they have a brain fart that resembles that of a bully the first time a kid they picked on stood up to them.

- Notre Dame is really bad. The NCAA gives a hardship waiver to their starting center for no good reason known. The differences between her and Sid Wilson are their gender, race, and school they attend. The refs allow their player to hip check a Mississippi State player in a tied game with 8 seconds left as they are going for the go ahead layup. If you hate Geno that much that you take delight in that team winning at Geno's expense I don't know what to tell ya.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta say, I'm finding the ignore feature far more useful in my old age here. The fact that this thread is still going is an embarrassment.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't even care that he's getting a little senile and hard of seeing. He's still very entertaining. He doesn't try to hard...which pretty much everyone else seems to these days.

I've got second hand from a friend who saw him court-side pouring rum into his coke cup one time. Which is hilarious.

That just adds to his status as a legend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom