From Women to Kids - AP Indicted on Child Abuse | Page 5 | The Boneyard

From Women to Kids - AP Indicted on Child Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All I'm going to say is there is certain things kids who are physically disciplined just won't do compared to those who just get timeouts and have no fear of doing anything they want. Cause they were raised as if they couldn't be touched.

I should have known that this topic would be full of Neanderthals who want their rights to take their frustrations and inadequacies out on defenseless children protected.

Reaction Score
All I'm going to say is there is certain things kids who are physically disciplined just won't do compared to those who just get timeouts and have no fear of doing anything they want. Cause they were raised as if they couldn't be touched.

No one is arguing that beating kids won't raise them to fear you. Obviously. It can be very effective at making them fear any tiny misstep.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somewhat related, somewhat not, I watched Philomena last night at the insistence of my wife and a good friend whose judgment I trust. It brought to mind a few thoughts in connection with this discussion:
  • It reminded me that the psychological drama that girls go through is usually far worse than the physical drama boys endure.

• It also reminded me that the some of the nuns (and other teachers) who taught me in elementary school were as physical as my parents.

• And it helped show how one who is subject to abuse can--even after recognizing the abuse--still see it at least in part as an act of love.
I think that last part is particularly important if it helps lead to forgiveness and understanding, rather than hate (as in the movie). But if it is used to justify the victim's infliction of the same treatment on others, it is just repeating the cycle.

Coincidentally, the New Haven Register's James Walker has just posted a very thoughtful piece describing his own journey through that cycle:

http://www.nhregister.com/opinion/20140913/james-walker-my-journey-out-of-domestic-violence

FWIW, I had no idea what Philomena was about and never would have watched it otherwise, but I am glad that I did. It was surprisingly excellent imo, and Dench was deservedly nominated for her performance.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Rock, I have never hit any of my kids. I don't beleve in it. I don't see how anyone could hit their 4 year old like AP did.
Warrior, you may know some spoiled kids who grew up without getting beaten, but I know a lot of beaten kids who became criminals , abusers or both.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I should have known that this topic would be full of Neanderthals who want their rights to take their frustrations and inadequacies out on defenseless children protected.
You said this as if AP just hit his sons for fun which is not the case. Like I said there are huge cultural differences with raising children between whites and blacks. That's all.

Reaction Score
The story was the child pushed the other child off the games and was using bad words too as a 4 year old. And 4 is around the age you start to get beatings because you are starting to be aware of what is going on but at the same time you are still in the "the world revolves around you stage". So they feel like they can do anything they want. That's when beatings and teaching respect comes in to play. Yes you might be doing things because you are scared to get best again but you will still learn how to do those things. Therefore being raised to act right so when you grow up you do know how to do those things when you want to.
How old are you?

Reaction Score
You said this as if AP just hit his sons for fun which is not the case. Like I said there are huge cultural differences with raising children between whites and blacks. That's all.

Its totally cultural. Loads of people, including many NFL players have come out in defense of Peterson. It could be somewhat of a white/black issue but I think its more of a North/South thing. But just because something is a part of a culture doesn't make it right and there needs to be an attempt to educate IMO. Maybe this issue coming to light can be beneficial.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Its totally cultural. Loads of people, including many NFL players have come out in defense of Peterson. It could be somewhat of a white/black issue but I think its more of a North/South thing. But just because something is a part of a culture doesn't make it right and there needs to be an attempt to educate IMO. Maybe this issue coming to light can be beneficial.
It's not a north south things, it's a black white thing. I also don't think it's right to have babies on leashes. Like I said I don't think it's right to tell kids how to raise their kids. If a parent was just physically busing their child out of anger for no reason then yeah, that's a problem and shouldn't be happening. But if they do it as a form of discipline to teach them a lesson then I see no problem. In this specific situation AP got carried away but it was a mistake that he shouldn't have his visitation taken away for. That's just stupid. His heart is totally in the right place which is why he's so voluntarily going through the process.

Reaction Score
His heart is totally in the right place which is why he's so voluntarily going through the process.
And you know his heart? You looked into his eyes when he bloodied his child?

The reality is that no one knows what he was thinking. It is irrelevant. He beat his kid bloody and his child is terrified of him. He was beaten enough that other people decided to call authorities.

Great parenting there...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is a white/black thing and maybe a blue collar/ white collar thing. But not entirely.It is cultural. Maybe due to the extreme dangers black kids faced (continue to face) if they misbehaved in a white culture, maybe as a displacement of the brutal treatment slaves received and in turn, dispensed to their kids, But it is misguided. No matter what your culture tells you about treating women, you must follow US laws. Same with this.
Don't necessarily think AP is a monster, but he does need to learn a different style of discipline. Even with good, sincere intentions, he will not be allowed to do this. His parental visitation won't get cut off. He will be given the chance to change.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It is a white/black thing and maybe a blue collar/ white collar thing. But not entirely.It is cultural. Maybe due to the extreme dangers black kids faced (continue to face) if they misbehaved in a white culture, maybe as a displacement of the brutal treatment slaves received and in turn, dispensed to their kids, But it is misguided. No matter what your culture tells you about treating women, you must follow US laws. Same with this.
Don't necessarily think AP is a monster, but he does need to learn a different style of discipline. Even with good, sincere intentions, he will not be allowed to do this. His parental visitation won't get cut off. He will be given the chance to change.
Alright I'll play your physical discipline is never the answer game. Let's say the child does the same thing. Knocks his brother off the game and uses foul words in the process. What should the parent then do?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And you know his heart? You looked into his eyes when he bloodied his child?

The reality is that no one knows what he was thinking. It is irrelevant. He beat his kid bloody and his child is terrified of him. He was beaten enough that other people decided to call authorities.

Great parenting there...
Seeing the fact that it's his child and in every report he is fully cooperating and owning what he did (even when skyping with the mother when the child was first telling her with AP right there) he fully thought what he was doing was a way of discipline to teach his son a lesson on how to respect.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Alright I'll play your physical discipline is never the answer game. Let's say the child does the same thing. Knocks his brother off the game and uses foul words in the process. What should the parent then do?

How about something other than whipping him with a tree branch until he's bleeding from a half-dozen places?

You clearly don't have kids and don't seem to have much idea what you're talking about, but they're generally not that hard to discipline - someone who whips a four-year old like that is doing it because they like it.

AP is a sick f---.

Reaction Score
Culture does not give someone free reign to do whatever they want. Ascribing to a given culture doesn't automatically make something acceptable. There are cultures in Africa where young girls, as they enter puberty, have their breasts burned and deformed with hot presses. It runs so deep in this culture, it is the mothers who do this to their own daughters. Does their being of a different culture make it in any way acceptable? I can't believe you, man.

Reaction Score
Old enough to already have taken psychology classes in college that teaches the different stages of life.
Please, go take a developmental psychology class and assert that physically disciplining children is completely acceptable. You'll be set straight right quick.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just play along with the situation for a second. You all are great fathers who know how to discipline right? What do you do next to respond?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Please, go take a developmental psychology class and assert that physically disciplining children is completely acceptable. You'll be set straight right quick.
Physically discipline kids has nothing to do with anything. You are not permanently scarred for life and damaged in the head because your parents decided to physically discipline you as a child.

Reaction Score
Physically discipline kids has nothing to do with anything. You are not permanently scarred for life and damaged in the head because your parents decided to physically discipline you as a child.
It has nothing to do with anything....? It's what this whole issue is centered around.

You're just being straight up stupid now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Old enough to already have taken psychology classes in college that teaches the different stages of life.
Seeing the fact that it's his child and in every report he is fully cooperating and owning what he did (even when skyping with the mother when the child was first telling her with AP right there) he fully thought what he was doing was a way of discipline to teach his son a lesson on how to respect.
Did they skip right past the "learned behavior" part in those psychology classes? That basic concept seems to be lost on you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with anything....? It's what this whole issue is centered around.

You're just being straight up stupid now.

You've summed it up - the dude is straight dumb.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Look I don't care what's law and what's not. It's legal to smoke those cancer sticks that are cigarettes and drink but marijuana is still illegal in many parts of the country and isn't nearly as bad as the other two. You know how many dumb laws there are?

Anyways like I said you aren't going to be scarred for life like a lot of you guys are suggesting because you are physically disciplined. There's millions of cases you see all the time and even in the White House that proves that. So cut that.

2 posts later and there are still no answers to my question from all these great parents suggesting my claim is so crazy.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You have laws where it's basically okay to kill unarmed black kids. Please don't talk to me about what "laws" say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom