OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 278 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Portnoy just went on another pizza tour from NYC to Boston this past weekend.. curious to see the list of places he went to

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He stopped at Fuocco. Really happy for those guys, especially after the fire and the challenges faced before reopening. Have a feeling he liked their take on apizza.
My partners' daughter and son-in-law were at Camille's in Tolland the other day while Portnoy was out front with a cameraman. She was telling how the whole staff was biting their fingernails while they were looking out the window.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I went to an Amazon Fresh market in Arlington, Va today. They have giant slices of pizza for $1.99. It wasn't good. At all. Technically it will fill you up, and it's still not even close to being worth the price.

Reaction Score
Completely agree.
I have had them all, Roseland is another great pie, Dominic and Pia from Waterbury is a top notch pie. All good, CT is blessed in the pizza depth. Absolutely some of the best in the world.

Reaction Score
He definitely did Little Rendezvous in Meriden and somewhere in Cheshire. If you go to his Facebook page he has photos of the various places

He also did Grigg St in Greenwich. (if you haven't been there but have driven past exit 3 on 95 then you're missing out). Also, haven't been here yet but Good Old Days Pizzeria in Newton looks like its a hidden gem based on menu/reception to it. Can anyone confirm?

Moved to Montclair NJ a year ago and if anyone ever comes to the area there are a ton of Jersey pies that are very good in the area. Ralphs, Nickys Pizza Joint, Tony Ds, Angelinos, Pizza Terminal, Brick & Dough, Bagels x Jarrett (one of my current favorites) and so many more. I had Delucias in Raritan (the place Portnoy gave a 9.4) and its really good. Similar style oven to the old school new haven places but completley different pizza. I think its worth a visit. I have a massive list of NY, NJ, CT pizza places that ive been to/want to go to so if yall want any recs let me know.

Reaction Score
He also did Grigg St in Greenwich. (if you haven't been there but have driven past exit 3 on 95 then you're missing out). Also, haven't been here yet but Good Old Days Pizzeria in Newton looks like its a hidden gem based on menu/reception to it. Can anyone confirm?

Moved to Montclair NJ a year ago and if anyone ever comes to the area there are a ton of Jersey pies that are very good in the area. Ralphs, Nickys Pizza Joint, Tony Ds, Angelinos, Pizza Terminal, Brick & Dough, Bagels x Jarrett (one of my current favorites) and so many more. I had Delucias in Raritan (the place Portnoy gave a 9.4) and its really good. Similar style oven to the old school new haven places but completley different pizza. I think its worth a visit. I have a massive list of NY, NJ, CT pizza places that ive been to/want to go to so if yall want any recs let me know.
You and I have both sung the praises of Grigg Street on the yard previously. I don’t think there are many yarders in lower Fairfield County. But the place is worth the drive. Good Old Days is absolutely legit, whether you order the thin crust traditional or square. Delucia’s is beyond great. It is in the same ballpark as any apizza from the Big 3 on their best day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Spent a lot of time in Montclair six years ago opening up a coffeehouse where the comic book store is now on Bloomfield Ave. Didn't care for much of the pizza in Montclair itself, but it's worth a drive down to Elizabeth to experience Santillo's, and since I'm a Colony fan, Star Tavern in Orange always took care of that jones.

Reaction Score
You and I have both sung the praises of Grigg Street on the yard previously. I don’t think there are many yarders in lower Fairfield County. But the place is worth the drive. Good Old Days is absolutely legit, whether you order the thin crust traditional or square. Delucia’s is beyond great. It is in the same ballpark as any apizza from the Big 3 on their best day.
I've felt like I'm on an island with Grigg st and other jersey pies. Glad to know someone out there is speaking my pizza language

Reaction Score
Spent a lot of time in Montclair six years ago opening up a coffeehouse where the comic book store is now on Bloomfield Ave. Didn't care for much of the pizza in Montclair itself, but it's worth a drive down to Elizabeth to experience Santillo's, and since I'm a Colony fan, Star Tavern in Orange always took care of that jones.
IMO Star Tavern has fallen off. Good for a one time visit to sit there and eat but I've never ordered it more than twice and it was always easily accessible to me.

Brick & Dough may not have been around 6 years ago when you were there but its definitely worth a visit. Not exactly my style but its not pure Neapolitan either. Might be time to start a Best Pizza in Tri State Area thread......

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
IMO Star Tavern has fallen off. Good for a one time visit to sit there and eat but I've never ordered it more than twice and it was always easily accessible to me.

Brick & Dough may not have been around 6 years ago when you were there but its definitely worth a visit. Not exactly my style but its not pure Neapolitan either. Might be time to start a Best Pizza in Tri State Area thread......
I didn't eat a ton of pizza when I was there. The latino food scene in Pgh was awful at the time, so I was often eating my way through the South & Central American joints while I had the opportunity. The "standard" pizza places I did go to didn't impress (none are on a "top pizza" list, they were just the most convenient) and other than the two I mentioned, I didn't go seeking out better ones. I don't recall hearing of Brick & Dough. I never went to Pizza Terminal because I thought it was a dumb name, lol.

Reaction Score
My parents live in Gwich but never heard of the place but they wouldn't go to Greenwich Ave often as they live by the border of Stamford . They order from Rico's a lot cause it's like 2 minutes away from them. Glenville Pizza and Pizza Post were always some of the favorites. Grigg street pizza relatively new?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My parents live in Gwich but never heard of the place but they wouldn't go to Greenwich Ave often as they live by the border of Stamford . They order from Rico's a lot cause it's like 2 minutes away from them. Glenville Pizza and Pizza Post were always some of the favorites. Grigg street pizza relatively new?

2020 open, I think.

Reaction Score
Saw one of the Corbo's owners started it. Corbo's was a big deli in town back in the day, not sure if it's still around.
Yes Corbo’s partners. Apples and oranges to Glenville or Pizza Post, both of which I like. These aren’t Artisinal pies, but all ingredients are premium, and you can taste it. Also, awesome sourdough crust.

Reaction Score
Yes Corbo’s partners. Apples and oranges to Glenville or Pizza Post, both of which I like. These aren’t Artisinal pies, but all ingredients are premium, and you can taste it. Also, awesome sourdough crust.
Makes sense given its location. Heard Bruce park grill (now gone) had awesome pizza l. Never got the chance to go there. Will have to try next time I'm back in town

Reaction Score
Makes sense given its location. Heard Bruce park grill (now gone) had awesome pizza l. Never got the chance to go there. Will have to try next time I'm back in town
I would argue that it is Artisanal as everything is from scratch and its not a traditional pizza place. Semantics aside, its really freaking good. Def right on the apples to oranges though. Most unique pie in Greenwich and maybe even Fairfield county. I'm not sure many other places are doing it quite like Grigg st.

Corbos is by far my favorite deli, one of the few places that actually does a cajun chicken cutlet grilled or breaded and its always good. They had 4 locations 3-4 years ago, Stamford, Riverside, Coscob, and all the way on West Putnam ave but now only have the west putnam ave location and the stamford one. Still one of the best delis in the area and highly recommend checking it out.

Bruce Park Grill had really good bar 10 inch Irish style pizzas. Caramelized cheese on the crust, sweet sauce, solid but limited toppings. Crust was different too. As Bar pie as bar pie can get.

Reaction Score
Eating at Mondo’s in Middletown this afternoon, haven’t been in years. Had the white clam pie and truffle pie. Have no idea why I took them off my rotation. Amazing! Worth a visit.

Reaction Score
For the Atlanta transplants that suffer each and every day. The new pizza place at Ponce city , Jeans pizza makes a pretty good “mall pizza”.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Call me a loser but I had a ton of Dave’s Bakery Pizza this MDW, so simple and good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom