OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 277 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
If a pie doesn't have cheese baked on, is it even a pizza? Might as well order up fried dough. Don't get me wrong, I love fried dough.

Carnival-Pizzas.jpg

Reaction Score
It's confusing. The famous place in Utica that @karstenkibbe was talking about does their pizza upside down with mozzarella on the bottom and tomato sauce on top. That's different from Utica tomato pies and Philly tomato pies but they still seem to call it tomato pie. It looks like they originally made them with just bread and tomato sauce like the other places but added mozzarella under the sauce somewhere along the line.
Sounds right

History

drawing.gif

O’scugnizzo Pizzeria was founded in 1914 by Eugeno Burlino. He only sold tomato pie (a pizza without mozzarella cheese) and they only cost a nickel. He was then succeeded by his son, Angelo “Chops” Burline, who made O’scugnizzo what it is today. 101 years later, O’scugnizzo is still in business in the beautiful city of Utica and is now run by his son’s Steven and Michael Burline.
In 2015, O’Scugnizzo Pizzeria was declared the 2nd oldest Pizzeria in the country.

Reaction Score
If a pie doesn't have cheese baked on, is it even a pizza? Might as well order up fried dough. Don't get me wrong, I love fried e
If a pie doesn't have cheese baked on, is it even a pizza? Might as well order up fried dough. Don't get me wrong, I love fried dough.

View attachment 87998
in new jersey, everyone gives me a weird look whenever I call it fried dough. strictly funnel cake down here.

Reaction Score
Utica tomato pies are like Philly tomato pies it's just bread and sauce, it's not eaten hot. Utica tomato pies do a sprinkling of parm or romano on top like deep dish but it's not the upside down style like deep dish with mozzarella cheese under the sauce. It would have more in common with New Haven tomato pies, bread and tomato sauce. At least in New Haven they serve it hot. I think tomato pies in Utica and Philly are supposed to sit out for a couple hours before eaten then they refrigerate it's not eaten.
santucci’s in south philly is right out the oven upside down style. meant to be eaten hot.
1683149525667.jpeg

but trenton tomato pies are by far the best

Reaction Score
Spent a few nights a month @ Santucci’s on North Broad during 2015-2017. Their Uncle Joe Coke Stromboli is awesome. A side of fried long hots w/ their garlic bread was also a must have.
great name! you forgot his cousin frankie muscles marinara

Reaction Score
in new jersey, everyone gives me a weird look whenever I call it fried dough. strictly funnel cake down here.
We have only funnel cake. Not the same as fried dough from the CT carnivals, not even close.

Reaction Score
santucci’s in south philly is right out the oven upside down style. meant to be eaten hot.
View attachment 87999
but trenton tomato pies are by far the best
Trenton tomato pies, especially those baked in the epicenter of the style - Robbinsville, NJ - are a very close second to New Haven apizza among my favorite pizza styles.

Reaction Score
Sounds right

History

drawing.gif

O’scugnizzo Pizzeria was founded in 1914 by Eugeno Burlino. He only sold tomato pie (a pizza without mozzarella cheese) and they only cost a nickel. He was then succeeded by his son, Angelo “Chops” Burline, who made O’scugnizzo what it is today. 101 years later, O’scugnizzo is still in business in the beautiful city of Utica and is now run by his son’s Steven and Michael Burline. In 2015, O’Scugnizzo Pizzeria was declared the 2nd oldest Pizzeria in the country.

That drawing is not anything like the depressing dilapidated building set in the middle of barren closed down factories and vape stores. I'm telling you, unless you fall out of a plane and land in the parking lot, there is NO reason to go here.

Reaction Score

That drawing is not anything like the depressing dilapidated building set in the middle of barren closed down factories and vape stores. I'm telling you, unless you fall out of a plane and land in the parking lot, there is NO reason to go here.

That's how a 110 year old pizza place is supposed to look and I love that kid's hair.

Reaction Score
Sally's w/o a doubt.
sally’s is as good as any other pie in new haven. it’s not better, all internet hype. when i was a kid, driving into wooster st. sally’s was the toughest to get into. overrated

Reaction Score
Tony's Pizza in Willimantic!

Actually, I'm sure that place is long gone, but that was the family place growing up and I remember it fondly. I was 14 before I knew that pizza doesn't usually have little crustless squares in the middle.
Still there pizza not quite as good as before. Been going there since 1979.

Reaction Score
Not a pizza eater, probably been two years since having any pizza. I was a little excited when told there was a new middle eastern pizza shop in Manchester. I looked at their menu and it was all tomato based. I was hoping for a curry based pizza .

Reaction Score
Not a pizza eater, probably been two years since having any pizza. I was a little excited when told there was a new middle eastern pizza shop in Manchester. I looked at their menu and it was all tomato based. I was hoping for a curry based pizza .
You're weird.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Curry spread over naan is a flatbread.

Reaction Score
OK so on 3rd try, I remain convinced that Good Ole Days is the best pizza in CT. The specialty deep dish pies are insane but they do the standard thin incredibly well too and have cupped ‘roni.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Go here:

They make that Pizza seriously. Its just not on daily menu.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom