OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 292 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Sgt Pep's was the best. DP Dough got all the hype (and is good in itself), but give me the Sgt Pep's calzone 100 times out of 100. The pizza was above average too
There was a spot in South Campus that was open after all the dining halls were closed , I think it closed 2006 timeframe, that made better calzones than DP Dough and you could use your meal plan. Shame it closed.

I always found Sgt. Pep's needed a little more cooking once you got it, but I thought they were the best on campus as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll tellya, kids today. Back in my day, we had Paul's Pizza. Hands down worst pie on the planet. The bottom was always burnt black (no, not char) and the "cheese" was akin to napalm. But on weekends, we were lucky to have it!

Paul's in Storrs or Paul's in Vernon?

Reaction Score
There was a spot in South Campus that was open after all the dining halls were closed , I think it closed 2006 timeframe, that made better calzones than DP Dough and you could use your meal plan. Shame it closed.

I always found Sgt. Pep's needed a little more cooking once you got it, but I thought they were the best on campus as well.
I lived in the hotel right there junior year (2010-2011) and I remember the crummy personal pizzas (along with wraps and such) but never calzones

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I've never been to one, but it appears Square Peg Pizza is leasing Geno's old space. Here's a copy paste with some other new restaurants.

Storrs Center at Uconn will welcome four new restaurants! The lifestyle center at UConn's flagship campus is already home to a diverse array of restaurants.

1f355.png
Square Peg Pizza has leased the former Geno's Grille space on Dog Lane according to leasing documents received by The Connecticut Scoop! The pizza shop has locations in Vernon, Glastonbury, Newington, Berlin, Enfield, Orange, Berlin, and Higganum. The pizza shop has more locations coming soon in Windsor and Wethersfield.

Playa Bowl is coming soon to the former 7-Eleven space on Storrs Road! The acai bowl restaurant has other locations in West Hartford, Glastonbury, Darien, Avon, and Fairfield.

Haven Hot Chicken is coming soon to the former Wing Stop location on Storrs Road! The fast-growing fast-casual eatery has other locations in New Haven, Orange, North Haven, and Norwalk.

The Place 2 Be has also announced that they are working to secure a location in Storrs. The former Grille 86 space is now lease pending! We hope this is their new location! We will update the post when their location is announced.
No timetable has been announced for these new additions.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is lazy. I don't know what it would be in Storrs now, but Pizza Shuttle is not it for Lawrence. Maybe this is best delivery to your dorm pizza or something.

@August_West my recollection about Gumby's was that it was somewhat filling. When drunk and hungry, it did the trick. But if Storrs ever had good pizza, that's news to me.
Blaze is only the correct answer when it's the only available pizza.

I agree with the "drunk food" point. Here in Pgh, it's Antoon's, which I've never had and am only aware of because of my wife, a Pitt alum. It is described as "filling, greasy, and most importantly, cheap." Which is college food in a nutshell.

As for UConn, back in the day we'd hop in the car and go to Italian Village in Willi. It was pretty decent. And it reminded us of the Colony as the pitchers were under $2 and came with those little 7oz juice glasses.

Reaction Score
Storrs. Walking distance from South Campus. My apologies to any other Paul's for any confusion.
Nothing to do with Paul’s in Storrs, but this reminds me of Paul’s Wing It on Union Place in Hartford. The best place to get food after a UConn or Whalers game for many years. A very rowdy crowd, but such a sweet reward when you got to the counter. RIP Paul’s.

Reaction Score
Pizza Mike's is the best remaining pizza in Storrs by a large margin. Quite solid. RIP Sgt Pep's, quite good for the price and availability imo. Sad they're gone

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've never been to one, but it appears Square Peg Pizza is leasing Geno's old space. Here's a copy paste with some other new restaurants.

Storrs Center at Uconn will welcome four new restaurants! The lifestyle center at UConn's flagship campus is already home to a diverse array of restaurants.

1f355.png
Square Peg Pizza has leased the former Geno's Grille space on Dog Lane according to leasing documents received by The Connecticut Scoop! The pizza shop has locations in Vernon, Glastonbury, Newington, Berlin, Enfield, Orange, Berlin, and Higganum. The pizza shop has more locations coming soon in Windsor and Wethersfield.

Playa Bowl is coming soon to the former 7-Eleven space on Storrs Road! The acai bowl restaurant has other locations in West Hartford, Glastonbury, Darien, Avon, and Fairfield.

Haven Hot Chicken is coming soon to the former Wing Stop location on Storrs Road! The fast-growing fast-casual eatery has other locations in New Haven, Orange, North Haven, and Norwalk.

The Place 2 Be has also announced that they are working to secure a location in Storrs. The former Grille 86 space is now lease pending! We hope this is their new location! We will update the post when their location is announced.
No timetable has been announced for these new additions.

Few things more disappointing than hot chicken restaurants. Such a great meal when done right and done right by so few places. Hitting the balance of tender chicken, crispy outside and good heat is a rare find.

Reaction Score

I was going to post about this. I believe the place in South Campus was called “In The Zone”, and it did calzones and pizza after hours. Call me crazy, but freshly-made pizza in your dorm room tastes even better when it’s part of your meal plan.

I also a fair number of personal pizzas from Papa Gino’s when it was in the Student Union. You had to use points there, though, and not meals. The pasta with meatballs and garlic bread seemed solid at the time.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I was going to post about this. I believe the place in South Campus was called “In The Zone”, and it did calzones and pizza after hours. Call me crazy, but freshly-made pizza in your dorm room tastes even better when it’s part of your meal plan.

I also a fair number of personal pizzas from Papa Gino’s when it was in the Student Union. You had to use points there, though, and not meals. The pasta with meatballs and garlic bread seemed solid at the time.

Yes, "In The Zone" was the name. That and the spot in Alumni where I could load up on waters and Powerades at the end of each semester with whatever was left on meal plan made living in West awesome. That and having no roommate for a year and half.

Reaction Score
I used to think Sgt Pepperoni made a very respectable NY Style pizza on campus. Disappointed it closed.
never ate it, my frat brother worked there, gotta warn ppl about the mushroom pie

Reaction Score
Food for Thought! Oh wait, they didn’t do pizza, but were great for solving munchies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Towers dining hall in like ~2005 used to have a legitimate pizza oven. Now it wasn't amazing by any stretch but it rated pretty well compared to the other mediocre retail joints.

Reaction Score

1f355.png
I heard the one in Glastonbury is good. Can anyone confirm whether that's true or not?

Reaction Score
I lived in the hotel right there junior year (2010-2011) and I remember the crummy personal pizzas (along with wraps and such) but never calzones
Whoah, as someone who worked making crummy personal pizzas and wraps at south during that timeframe, I take offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom