OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 245 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Frank Pepe’s is a long way from home, but it hasn’t lost its identity

“When we started this off, the main question was, ‘How do we replicate this oven?’ It doesn’t exist anywhere. It was built by hand.”
Crews even spent a couple of weeks seasoning the oven, burning thousands of dollars’ worth of sausage, pepperoni, oil and dough in the chamber, all to lock those classic flavors into the bricks. It’s an alchemy of ingredients and cooking vessel that produces flavors impossible to replicate any other way...

Reaction Score
The hype on Pepe’s is unreal. Been there a bunch of times, always disappointed. They have achieved the American dream. Use minimal cheese and ingredients, burn the crap outta the crust and rake in the dough. I go to Alexandria a lot but will be getting my pizza from The Italian Store not the new Pepe’s.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The hype on Pepe’s is unreal. Been there a bunch of times, always disappointed. They have achieved the American dream. Use minimal cheese and ingredients, burn the crap outta the crust and rake in the dough. I go to Alexandria a lot but will be getting my pizza from The Italian Store not the new Pepe’s.
To be fair, you have made clear that you do not like New Haven style apizza at all.

Which is fine.

But when you prefer a thick, soft crust smothered with cheese and loads of toppings, you shouldn’t be getting pizza from any place that makes New Haven style apizza. It’s not what they do. It’s like expecting a burger when you ordered a chicken sandwich.

The kind of pizza you prefer is available in every single city in this country. You don’t need to travel for it or seek it out, much less pay top dollar for it. And that’s a good thing.

Reaction Score
To be fair, you have made clear that you do not like New Haven style apizza at all.

Which is fine.

But when you prefer a thick, soft crust smothered with cheese and loads of toppings, you shouldn’t be getting pizza from any place that makes New Haven style apizza. It’s not what they do. It’s like expecting a burger when you ordered a chicken sandwich.

The kind of pizza you prefer is available in every single city in this country. You don’t need to travel for it or seek it out, much less pay top dollar for it. And that’s a good thing.
Where or when did “jibsey” say he didn’t like Modern Pizza, Sally’s, Ernie’s, Zuppardis (West Haven), or Bar? I agree with the guy, Pepe’s is not anywhere near what it was 30 or 40 years ago. I hate them for skimping on sausage all these years. It’s overcooked and way over priced.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where or when did “jibsey” say he didn’t like Modern Pizza, Sally’s, Ernie’s, Zuppardis (West Haven), or Bar? I agree with the guy, Pepe’s is not anywhere near what it was 30 or 40 years ago. I hate them for skimping on sausage all these years. It’s overcooked and way over priced.
Iirc he complained that Sally’s was burnt and that Modern skimped on cheese. I order my Modern pies with light mozz because they are notoriously heavy-handed with the cheese, so that struck me.

I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s had Zupp’s or BAR; I think he’d probably like Ernie’s.

I’m no Pepe’s fanboy; they are overall probably my least-favorite of the New Haven apizza places, and definitely the one I eat less frequently than the others now. But it’s still a damned great pie.

Reaction Score
Had lunch with an old friend, ex-co worker today and he had me meet him at Naples Pizza in Farmington. He swore I’d love their pie. Have to say he made a great call, I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it in this thread or not. But I would have to throw it up there as next level down from the New Haven pies. Add to it Foxon Park soda, would recommend trying it out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had lunch with an old friend, ex-co worker today and he had me meet him at Naples Pizza in Farmington. He swore I’d love their pie. Have to say he made a great call, I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it in this thread or not. But I would have to throw it up there as next level down from the New Haven pies. Add to it Foxon Park soda, would recommend trying it out.
I drink soda maybe five times a year, only Foxon Park with New Haven apizza. Gassosa for me. Maybe White Birch.

What’s your flavor?

Reaction Score

Which is fine.

Can’t stand tons of mozz on pies you only need minimal and never more than 3 toppings

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Can’t stand tons of mozz on pies you only need minimal and never more than 3 toppings
u seem local, try this:
1. hit the apizzeria at the corner of rt 145 and rt 80, located on 80.
2. order the 'grand special.' bigger than an escalade tire - $27.
3. reconsider those words that u wrote.

makes pepes look like poser/tourist fare.

Reaction Score
Iirc he complained that Sally’s was burnt and that Modern skimped on cheese. I order my Modern pies with light mozz because they are notoriously heavy-handed with the cheese, so that struck me.

I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s had Zupp’s or BAR; I think he’d probably like Ernie’s.

I’m no Pepe’s fanboy; they are overall probably my least-favorite of the New Haven apizza places, and definitely the one I eat less frequently than the others now. But it’s still a damned great pie.
I have visited both Modern and Zuppardis in the last few weeks for sausage and mushroom pies, and both had chunks of sausage instead of the thinly sliced sausage flakes Pepe’s has been peddling for years, both also had some minimal charring, but not anything like black soot Pepe’s has. The flavor between Modern and Zuppardis’s was about the same, although Zupp’s definitely had bigger chunks. My point is you can’t say that heavy duty charring is common to what you call all New Haven style pizzas, because it isn’t. My idea of a New Haven style pizza is definitely not having a pile of napkins that are all black from customers wiping the big black ring around their mouth’s.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have visited both Modern and Zuppardis in the last few weeks for sausage and mushroom pies, and both had chunks of sausage instead of the thinly sliced sausage flakes Pepe’s has been peddling for years, both also had some minimal charring, but not anything like black soot Pepe’s has. The flavor between Modern and Zuppardis’s was about the same, although Zupp’s definitely had bigger chunks. My point is you can’t say that heavy duty charring is common to what you call all New Haven style pizzas, because it isn’t. My idea of a New Haven style pizza is definitely not having a pile of napkins that are all black from customers wiping the big black ring around their mouth’s.
Don’t go to Sally’s then either.

Reaction Score
Everyone does things differently. I go to Zuppardi's a lot. They actual stuff their own sausages right there. You can see them doing it. They excel at it. That and their fresh clam pizza. They are costly though.

But they don't do sauce and crust as well as Pepe's. And that's ok.

You're comparing 2 different things.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hehe, 'sausage flakes.' good 'un. im stealing that one, and when next trying a new place, i'll be sure to ask aboot the flakes v. chunks thing. spot on.
i already ask aboot the mushroom thing, ie real or canned. imma canned mushroom fanatic (forget that dry, usually tasteless real thing, unless they're portos. then, mebbe it's ok.) which seems to often really annoy some bakers. im not interested in their feelings, it's my cash at stake.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between the classic New Haven char and burnt(the heavy charring that you refer to). If you squeeze it with your fingers and it turns to black dust that is burnt, I don't care where you are. The crust should be brown/black but you can still tear/crack/snap/break it with your fingers or teeth.

I love both Sally's and Pepe's but when they don't rotate the pies in the oven one side can get burnt, and that's not good and not they way it's supposed to be.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
u seem local, try this:

How do you know about that place? Thats my neck of the woods. Nobody in CT even knows where the e f f Winthrop is. They make me a custom broccoli Rabe and Sausage stuffed bread that my finacee makes me stop for at least twice a week, as her cravings have shifted.
I mean no one even lives around there. LOL

And yes its really good. Up until a couple years ago it was a general store, who was second only to Country cow in making best BEC in state.

Reaction Score
u seem local, try this:

Are you referring to the fake grand apizza

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How do you know about that place? Thats my neck of the woods. Nobody in CT even knows where the e f f Winthrop is. They make me a custom broccoli Rabe and Sausage stuffed bread that my finacee makes me stop for at least twice a week, as her cravings have shifted.
I mean no one even lives around there. LOL

And yes its really good. Up until a couple years ago it was a general store, who was second only to Country cow in making best BEC in state.

Are you referring to the fake grand apizza
Oh that's rich. The place is calling itself Apizza Grande. Seems intended to confuse to me...

I know Winthrop/Deep River because we used to live in Westbrook, but I haven't been out that way on Route 80 in at least a few years, when it was still a general store.

Reaction Score
Everyone does things differently. I go to Zuppardi's a lot. They actual stuff their own sausages right there. You can see them doing it. They excel at it. That and their fresh clam pizza. They are costly though.

But they don't do sauce and crust as well as Pepe's. And that's ok.

You're comparing 2 different things.
That’s just your opinion, we’ll see how Pepe’s sauce and crust fair down in Maryland. I’ll take Zuppardis and Modern’s sauce and crust over Pepe’s any day, black soot is not for me. You should get your teeth checked, all that carbon will wear things down fast.

Last edited:

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
So, to be clear, The Italian Store is great for subs, the pies are fine but they are clearly not apizza, and finally, their two shops are in Arlington, not Alexandria. This New Haven kid would like to have apizza in the neighborhood. I am admittedly a Sally's guy when I'm back in New Haven, but I think Pepe's will meet that need just fine, based on the review of the Bethesda, MD location.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom