OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 244 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Coincidentally, the Tucci show starts season two tonight, in Venice. The one I was thinking of with the Modena side trip is Bologna, which I have been to. But now Modena is on the list for next trip. And Venice
Loved that show, was ideal lockdown television. No idea it was coming back so thanks!

As someone who isn't crazy about seafood, Venice wasn't a great food destination. But it's gorgeous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Loved that show, was ideal lockdown television. No idea it was coming back so thanks!

As someone who isn't crazy about seafood, Venice wasn't a great food destination. But it's gorgeous.
I love seafood!

Reaction Score
On one of Stanley Tucci’s “Searching for Italy” episodes he did a side trip to Modena from Venice. I watched the episode because we didn’t hit Venice last time but want to next time; after watching it, I added Modena as a must-stop. The food looks amazing (which I realize can likely be said about every damned corner of that beautiful country).
Modena isn’t far from Bologna, the acknowledged food capital of Italy and IMO the world. The restaurant I mentioned was owned by Luciano Pavarotti. My company (factory in nearby Correggio) had a subscription to a table - always theirs whenever they wanted it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Modena isn’t far from Bologna, the acknowledged food capital of Italy and IMO the world. The restaurant I mentioned was owned by Luciano Pavarotti. My company factory in nearby Correggio) had a subscription to a table - always theirs whenever they wanted it.
We stopped in Bologna for lunch en route from the place we had been staying in Tuscany to the place we were staying in Piemonte, precisely because it is the "food capital." Got some great tortellini and proscuitto, and a jar of preserved black truffles to take back to the states. Managed to make the truffles last a while, but now they are long gone.

Very cool about your table subscription. Definitely plan to hit Bologna for a more extended stay next time, including a trip to Modena.

And Venice of course.

Oh, and Naples. And the Amalfi Coast. And Cinque Terre. And Umbria, And...and...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Pizza Special:​

Ramp Pizza

roasted ramp pesto (nut-free), mozzarella & bacon

$17
How welcoming to see "nut free". I dismiss anything with pesto, because they almost never tell you and pine nuts are bad news for me.

Reaction Score
Last night, we tried Magic 5 Pie Co. in Norwalk.

Sharing a parking lot with the East Norwalk train station, M5PC is built inside a new condo complex and has only been open since December.

The spot is a project from the same restaurant group that also runs El Segundo and The Spread.

Along with our wine, we started with a salad w/ baby greens, green apples, raw carrots and fennel, sliced almonds and a sesame peanut dressing. Excellent.

We got two pizzas: a "Lil Guy" (tomato, hot oil, mozz, truffle honey (not overpowering, and we held the pepperoni) and a "Potato Pie" (fontina, potatoes, caramelized onions, chives, and we held the bacon). I wasn't crazy about the potato pie, but the Lil Guy was excellent. Also, shout out to their somewhat small, but very well curated wine menu which I'm pretty sure is curated by the previous owner of Fat Cat.

It's a large, black industrial design with huge windows on two walls and local street-influenced art on the other two walls. Huge bar in front of their open kitchen. Overall, I really enjoyed the vibe of the place...I felt like I was somewhere else while still keeping true to the eclectic vibrancy of Norwalk.

I loved our experience and will definitely be back. The "Lil Guy" will be a replay and I'll be excited to try their pastor pie, their white clam and a few others.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not my choice, but picked up two mushroom pies from fairdale pepe's last week. bad all around. $62 for the both. while pepe's has (had?) crust props, these didn't. and the volume of shrooms was pathetic. i make better shroom pies, and it's not even close. now, i'll have to hit wooster pepe's to see if any part of garry's magic is left, but price will be a component of that equation.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It would be useful to know which New Haven cathedral of pizza provided his training.

I don't how the big three proof their dough, but it seems that a student making their dough then firing up a pizza from that dough in one short class doesn't seem right, does it?

Reaction Score
It would be useful to know which New Haven cathedral of pizza provided his training.

I don't how the big three proof their dough, but it seems that a student making their dough then firing up a pizza from that dough in one short class doesn't seem right, does it?
Geez… I think it would be a tough mobile class concept to come out and teach a class on how to make the dough and then come back in a day or two to teach them how to make and cook the pie after the dough proofs. I don’t think people would be expecting a Modern quality pie on the first attempt?

He has plenty of info/videos out on the web to get the sense he knows how to walk the talk for a few fun hours.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Geez… I think it would be a tough mobile class concept to come out and teach a class on how to make the dough and then come back in a day or two to teach them how to make and cook the pie after the dough proofs. I don’t think people would be expecting a Modern quality pie on the first attempt?

He has plenty of info/videos out on the web to get the sense he knows how to walk the talk for a few fun hours.
Again, I don't know how long the big three proofs their dough, but if it's a day or two and you're out there selling "New Haven Apizza" and using same-day dough, then you're not really demonstrating New Haven Apizza, are you?

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Last night, we tried Magic 5 Pie Co. in Norwalk.

Sharing a parking lot with the East Norwalk train station, M5PC is built inside a new condo complex and has only been open since December.

The spot is a project from the same restaurant group that also runs El Segundo and The Spread.

Along with our wine, we started with a salad w/ baby greens, green apples, raw carrots and fennel, sliced almonds and a sesame peanut dressing. Excellent.

We got two pizzas: a "Lil Guy" (tomato, hot oil, mozz, truffle honey (not overpowering, and we held the pepperoni) and a "Potato Pie" (fontina, potatoes, caramelized onions, chives, and we held the bacon). I wasn't crazy about the potato pie, but the Lil Guy was excellent. Also, shout out to their somewhat small, but very well curated wine menu which I'm pretty sure is curated by the previous owner of Fat Cat.

It's a large, black industrial design with huge windows on two walls and local street-influenced art on the other two walls. Huge bar in front of their open kitchen. Overall, I really enjoyed the vibe of the place...I felt like I was somewhere else while still keeping true to the eclectic vibrancy of Norwalk.

I loved our experience and will definitely be back. The "Lil Guy" will be a replay and I'll be excited to try their pastor pie, their white clam and a few others.
less than 20 minutes away - definitely going to try it
thanks

Reaction Score
Farmington valley peps..
My top three is

E&D Pizza Company​

Little City Pizza

And

Sasso's Coal Fired Pizza (torrington)
Not the valley

Always looking for new places.. any recommendations

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fireside Brick Oven Creations in Gales Ferry caught fire (NPI) a few months ago. After looking at their website and facebook page, I'm skeptical of a reopening.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Brought home two more Atticus Market pies tonight. One was a special they’ve had for a while, red pie with meatballs, pickled peppers and scarmoza; the other was a red pie with mozz and we added pepperoni (cupped) and Castelvetrano olives.

Both A+. Less charred than last time but still well within ideal range for me.

It’s so easy peasy right now that I don’t see myself getting New Haven apizza elsewhere on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, the Tucci show starts season two tonight, in Venice. The one I was thinking of with the Modena side trip is Bologna, which I have been to. But now Modena is on the list for next trip. And Venice

On my first visit to a fancy restaurant in Modena they gave me a free dessert: Vanilla ice cream with 25-year-old balsamic vinegar on it. The thought sounded repulsive, but that gooey, viscous stuff was amazing - like strawberry syrup only better. Then they gave me a small sample bottle to take home. This was 20 years ago and I still have never once since bought that yucky, watery, un-aged balsamic. Like wine and cigars - knowledge makes your life more expensive.

So, in addition to being a Connecticut pizza snob, guess I'm also a balsamic vinegar snob. Go figure...
So the frau is from Modena, or more specifically Spilamberto. So what do you think I've had for the past 20 years we've been together... 40 year old balsamic from the mother's barrels. Alas, no more, the barrels (it's a series of them 20 liter, 15 liter, 10 liter, 5 liter) have been given away. We used to have liter bottles of the stuff. no more...

Reaction Score
Brought home two more Atticus Market pies tonight. One was a special they’ve had for a while, red pie with meatballs, pickled peppers and scarmoza; the other was a red pie with mozz and we added pepperoni (cupped) and Castelvetrano olives.

Both A+. Less charred than last time but still well within ideal range for me.

It’s so easy peasy right now that I don’t see myself getting New Haven apizza elsewhere on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.
Are you just showing up there around 5 and ordering in person or can you order ahead somehow?

Reaction Score
Farmington valley peps..
My top three is

E&D Pizza Company​

Little City Pizza

And

Not the valley

Those three are all good but I would put Luna's and Harry's ahead of all of them. Naples in Farmington is solid and along the lines of those three.

Reaction Score
Farmington valley peps..
My top three is

E&D Pizza Company​

Little City Pizza

And

Not the valley

Sound like a Valley guy.. This is not a competitor of NH style pizza but holds up pretty good to Little City.. Check out La Figata in Granby. Thin crust .. Good vibe for adult beverages and conversation in bar area

Reaction Score
If ever in Wolcott, New Haven Pizza Co is surprisingly good. Better than some of the famous places around the state.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
2022 Nominee for most out of touch product.

And that is not pizza, that is cheesy bread from somewhere in Indiana. I thought Pepsi was a NY company, what the hell happened over there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom