OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 162 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
162 pages about pizza. Amazing.

Mentioned pizza to new girlfriend who grew up in South Jersey. Her comment was something along the lines of "well everyone knows the best pizza is in Philadelphia". I will be educating her on the subject soon. Been to Modern and Sally's recently, so I think Pepe's will be the destination of enlightenment. Modern was so good last time, it's hard not to go back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Mentioned pizza to new girlfriend who grew up in South Jersey. Her comment was something along the lines of "well everyone knows the best pizza is in Philadelphia". I will be educating her on the subject soon. Been to Modern and Sally's recently, so I think Pepe's will be the destination of enlightenment. Modern was so good last time, it's hard not to go back.
You know, I'll bet that the Italian Roast Pork (i.e., the real best sandwich in Philly) would make great pizza toppings. Roast pork, broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. Garlic and hot peppers. Mmm...

Is it lunch yet?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Big of you not to break up with her on the spot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Big of you not to break up with her on the spot.
Pun intended?

41486147.AnonimoHoldsTheSpot.jpg

Reaction Score
You know, I'll bet that the Italian Roast Pork (i.e., the real best sandwich in Philly) would make great pizza toppings. Roast pork, broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. Garlic and hot peppers. Mmm...

Is it lunch yet?
They do an Italian beef pizza out here. It works well with the beef and spicy giardiniera, I'm just not a big fan of the Chicago tavern style pizza.

Reaction Score
They do an Italian beef pizza out here. It works well with the beef and spicy giardiniera, I'm just not a big fan of the Chicago tavern style pizza.
Modern and Zupp's both make a great meatball & bacon pie. Difference between the two is Zupp's puts a little more scamozz and olive oil on their pie. With the toppings it makes the pie seem slightly thicker, but the crust under it is still very thin. The edge crust of course puffs up a lot with some char on it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wanted to close out my 2-month New Haven County Pizza tour that kicked off th when Buffalina was closed after saying they'd be open on my way back from a day of Rhode Island Beach recon. The idea for Saturday was to get Zuppardi's white clam with money saved by not going to the reception before a showing of the "Pizza, a Love Story" documentary at the Whitneyville Cultural Commons.

Instead of a slice each from the Big 3 that are the subject of the (very good) movie, I got a small pie w/freshly shucked clams, "market"-priced at $25.15. Because I wasn't sure, I got half with mootz, half without. "Without" is the way to go. Across my 20 or so pizzas, my first slice of this was my favorite piece of pizza since Labor Day! Subsequent pieces never caught up with the first, but still good.

After the movie's Q&A w/the producers, there was book-signing and chitchat back in the basement, and there were some extra pieces at room temperature from the earlier reception. I had 2 Sally's plain - yummy, but better fresh, and 1 pepperoni from Modern - again leading me to conclude that Modern is the overall winner for 'good at the most temperatures.'

After learning that Mike of Mike's in West Haven taught Ernie, whose legacy is carried on by his son Pat, I added another visit to Mike's, a return to Olde World (Modern alums), and a circle back to Ernie's which is closest to home. THEN, the 'opinion reset' will be complete, and I can re-try Salerno's, Carminuccio's, Rossini's, and expand to include a Little Rendezvous & others.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Is it lunch yet?
Has anyone here tried the Blind Pig pie w/Bear's burnt ends, smoked gouda, and something else I can't remember?

Reaction Score
Wanted to close out my 2-month New Haven County Pizza tour that kicked off th when Buffalina was closed after saying they'd be open on my way back from a day of Rhode Island Beach recon. The idea for Saturday was to get Zuppardi's white clam with money saved by not going to the reception before a showing of the "Pizza, a Love Story" documentary at the Whitneyville Cultural Commons.

Instead of a slice each from the Big 3 that are the subject of the (very good) movie, I got a small pie w/freshly shucked clams, "market"-priced at $25.15. Because I wasn't sure, I got half with mootz, half without. "Without" is the way to go. Across my 20 or so pizzas, my first slice of this was my favorite piece of pizza since Labor Day! Subsequent pieces never caught up with the first, but still good.

After the movie's Q&A w/the producers, there was book-signing and chitchat back in the basement, and there were some extra pieces at room temperature from the earlier reception. I had 2 Sally's plain - yummy, but better fresh, and 1 pepperoni from Modern - again leading me to conclude that Modern is the overall winner for 'good at the most temperatures.'

After learning that Mike of Mike's in West Haven taught Ernie, whose legacy is carried on by his son Pat, I added another visit to Mike's, a return to Olde World (Modern alums), and a circle back to Ernie's which is closest to home. THEN, the 'opinion reset' will be complete, and I can re-try Salerno's, Carminuccio's, Rossini's, and expand to include a Little Rendezvous & others.
You like Carminuccio's? Been there. It's ok but nothing to rave about, and priced higher than it's worth, IMHO. I would skip it unless it was on the way home from work or something.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You like Carminuccio's? Been there. It's ok but nothing to rave about, and priced higher than it's worth, IMHO. I would skip it unless it was on the way home from work or something.
My expectations are limited, but it's within the spirit of the project. I've already gotten what I want out of my home turf.

By virtue of one time having been along the way, and a hype from Jane & Michael Stern, I've been several times. It probably fills my geographic space, with a different trajectory, that @ClifSpliffy fills via Jennie's (or some such).

In terms of going inland & north from Bridgeport, I'd add that Domenick & Pia's slices in Waterbury completely underwhelmed me both times I went. Nothing hostile, simply couldn't fathom the love some show it, and that included giving it points for there seeming to be a Domenick and a Pia, IIRC.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I've tried it and didn't care for it at all. Can't recall what exactly displeased me about it, but I recall very succinctly both my wife and myself crossing it off the list.

Reaction Score
I've tried it and didn't care for it at all. Can't recall what exactly displeased me about it, but I recall very succinctly both my wife and myself crossing it off the list.
Like I said, not really bad but there are better places to go, and their prices are on the high side.

Reaction Score
My expectations are limited, but it's within the spirit of the project. I've already gotten what I want out of my home turf.

By virtue of one time having been along the way, and a hype from Jane & Michael Stern, I've been several times. It probably fills my geographic space, with a different trajectory, that @ClifSpliffy fills via Jennie's (or some such).

In terms of going inland & north from Bridgeport, I'd add that Domenick & Pia's slices in Waterbury completely underwhelmed me both times I went. Nothing hostile, simply couldn't fathom the love some show it, and that included giving it points for there seeming to be a Domenick and a Pia, IIRC.
I love Domenick and Pia's and think the plain tomato sauce and bread pie at Sally's so many rave about is absolute garbage, everyone has different tastes and opinions.

Reaction Score

A couple of places I used to go to in North Bridgeport years ago that were good back then, Vinnie's Pizza, across from Beardsley Park and Pizza Time on North Madison Ave was good but it closed when Sal passed away. Vinnie's made the best lasagna and garlic bread with cheese, I ever had.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love Domenick and Pia's and think the plain tomato sauce and bread pie at Sally's so many rave about is absolute garbage, everyone has different tastes and opinions.
There's a wide variety of tastes and opinions, and I think that's more good than bad. I liked reading this particular difference between you and me. No shade intended.

Reaction Score
You want to have the stone/ bottom of pizza oven reading at around 620-660 range

That's a simplistic interpretation. Depends on the style of pizza.

I cook neapolitan in a pizza oven. My old bricks weren't great so I swapped them out for some specially ordered ones. My floor temp is usually around 725-750 when I'm cooking at my best. Air temp maybe 900 but it's trickier to measure with the infared thermometer I use.

Friends of mine cook at 550 or lower with great success

Reaction Score
Does anyone know where to get pizza similar to Marino's meat sheet pizza (closed years ago in Middletown)

Reaction Score
Anyone have a list of pizza spots to hit up in Fairfield County and below? Most of these places yall have been posting are north of Farflield County. I want to try them out but it'll have to be when im traveling North.

Top places i want to try not in FF:
Sallys
Modern
Bar
Roseland Apizza
Zuppardis

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads