OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 144 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For the next time someone says “you can find good pizza anywhere”

That's the kind of thing that if we were hosting a block party and a neighbor brought that over, I'd make sure they were never invited back.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Because it tastes like bowling.
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
This is the kind of thing that drives me mad about pizza outside Connecticut. A recent transplant to my area (Buffalo/Niagara) posted that he loved the pizza at one spot. He wrote:

1 hr · As a recent transplant to Niagagra county you folks definitely need to try Frankie's pizza for a double dough chicken finger pizza, and pizza oven for a plain old cheese pepperoni pizza. The cheese pep/ from pizza oven is a sweet sauce but out of this world. They cut the pie a little different, and your first bite will have you wondering if it was cooked through, but trust me, for fans of char b que wings this pizza will open up your taste buds. Try it out
  • Ps for frankies, you must order double dough (approximate cook time 45 minutes, for pizza oven do not order well done, trust me, it is perfect the way they do it!

Where does one begin with this?

He makes a virtue out of everything I despise in pizza.
1. Sweet sauce
2. Chicken fingers on pizza (if I want chicken fingers while I'm eating pizza, I'll eat chicken fingers while I'm eating pizza--I don't need you to put them literally ON the pizza).
3. Double dough. What the freak is that? "You will wonder if it was cooked through." What? It's not even cooked through? And maybe the yeast opens up your taste buds?
4. "Do not order well done." Yeah, the bread is more moist this way!

But it's not only the clueless transplants that like things this way. Read this from a local who somehow does food reviews for big media outlets:

Again, he takes the worst of it and makes it a virtue:

"Buffalo-style pizza is typically a cup-and-char pepperoni pizza, one with a slim, sometimes non-existent crust coastline with ingredients out to, and sometimes even over the edges, a thick, airy undercarriage with little to no structural integrity that’s topped by a sweet sauce and enough cheese to nearly always guarantee a cheese pull."

He's right.
1. Cupped, char pepperoni style started in Buffalo because of one particular pepperoni maker
2. Can't see the crust because it's covered in cheese
3. Thick "airy" bread [but really not airy, just thick, very bready]
4. No structural integrity (this means the whole thing flops and separates as soon as you pick it up).
5. There's a thick carpet of cheese on top that is barely in contact with the tomato sauce
6. Again, a very sweet sauce.

And this is why there is no New York style pizza up here (other than first 2 places he mentions, a food truck and a high end restaurant that only makes personal pizzas); because the people wouldn't even want to eat it.

Give them sweet sauce, thick, double uncooked dough, a half inch of unseparated cheese, all of which falls apart instantly, and they're happy.

(I do like the cupped, charred pepperoni though).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is the kind of thing that drives me mad about pizza outside Connecticut. A recent transplant to my area (Buffalo/Niagara) posted that he loved the pizza at one spot. He wrote:

Where does one begin with this?

He makes a virtue out of everything I despise in pizza.
1. Sweet sauce
2. Chicken fingers on pizza (if I want chicken fingers while I'm eating pizza, I'll eat chicken fingers while I'm eating pizza--I don't need you to put them literally ON the pizza).
3. Double dough. What the freak is that? "You will wonder if it was cooked through." What? It's not even cooked through? And maybe the yeast opens up your taste buds?
4. "Do not order well done." Yeah, the bread is more moist this way!

But it's not only the clueless transplants that like things this way. Read this from a local who somehow does food reviews for big media outlets:

Again, he takes the worst of it and makes it a virtue:

"Buffalo-style pizza is typically a cup-and-char pepperoni pizza, one with a slim, sometimes non-existent crust coastline with ingredients out to, and sometimes even over the edges, a thick, airy undercarriage with little to no structural integrity that’s topped by a sweet sauce and enough cheese to nearly always guarantee a cheese pull."

He's right.
1. Cupped, char pepperoni style started in Buffalo because of one particular pepperoni maker
2. Can't see the crust because it's covered in cheese
3. Thick "airy" bread [but really not airy, just thick, very bready]
4. No structural integrity (this means the whole thing flops and separates as soon as you pick it up).
5. There's a thick carpet of cheese on top that is barely in contact with the tomato sauce
6. Again, a very sweet sauce.

And this is why there is no New York style pizza up here (other than first 2 places he mentions, a food truck and a high end restaurant that only makes personal pizzas); because the people wouldn't even want to eat it.

Give them sweet sauce, thick, double uncooked dough, a half inch of unseparated cheese, all of which falls apart instantly, and they're happy.

(I do like the cupped, charred pepperoni though).

Don't feel bad. The r/pittsburgh subreddit just held it's 2nd annual pizza contest to determine "best pizza". 30 tasters, blind tasting. First year it was 16 pizzas, this year it was limited to 10.

Costco was in top 3 both times.

Reaction Score
Gonna be in Cheshire/Waterbury by Blackies for the next few hours. Need a pizza reco, I don’t trust my brother-in-laws taste.

Reaction Score
Gonna be in Cheshire/Waterbury by Blackies for the next few hours. Need a pizza reco, I don’t trust my brother-in-laws taste.
Domenick and Pia's in downtown Waterbury. Old school family run city slice joint, Domenick and Pia are both in their 90's and still always there with their son running it. Some of the best pizza in the state. I'll be there next month.

Reaction Score
Domenick and Pia's in downtown Waterbury. Old school family run city slice joint, Domenick and Pia are both in their 90's and still always there with their son running it. Some of the best pizza in the state. I'll be there next month.

Go to Rossini's in Cheshire right on West Main St/Route 68/70. It's not New Haven; but, its generally regraded as the next tier down just behind Roseland (Derby) and Bufalina (Guildford). Cheshire Pizza & Ale on Route 10 in Cheshire is another step down in pizza, though still way better than most places outside of the Northeast, and has a wider-range of food and drink choices as it more of a spotys bar than a pizza joint.

Reaction Score
Go to Rossini's in Cheshire right on West Main St/Route 68/70. It's not New Haven; but, its generally regraded as the next tier down just behind Roseland (Derby) and Bufalina (Guildford). Cheshire Pizza & Ale on Route 10 in Cheshire is another step down in pizza, though still way better than most places outside of the Northeast, and has a wider-range of food and drink choices as it more of a spotys bar than a pizza joint.

It is very good pie I agree on the assessment. They owned the log cabin in Farmington too on Rt 6 until they sold to Joey Garlics I believe. A solid pie would like to stop in at Cheshire next time around and have some.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We were having a discussion about Palm Beach Apizza yesterday, from Grand Avenue in Fair Haven... way back in the day. Anyone else remember dining there?
My sister worked there ages ago!

Reaction Score
It is very good pie I agree on the assessment. They owned the log cabin in Farmington too on Rt 6 until they sold to Joey Garlics I believe. A solid pie would like to stop in at Cheshire next time around and have some.

The Rossini's in Farmington/Bristol was in my Top 5 before they sold out. Rock solid.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Play cards with a friend in Cheshire and he gets Rossini's. Not a fan.
If my memory holds, Palm Beach was close in quality to Grand Appizza. Which is good.

Reaction Score
From this thread I have determined that you people eat and like pizza a lot more than I do. I have pizza once or twice a year. Usually at a party hosted by someone else. At my rate, it would take me 760 years to try every pizza place in this thread.

Reaction Score
From this thread I have determined that you people eat and like pizza a lot more than I do. I have pizza once or twice a year. Usually at a party hosted by someone else. At my rate, it would take me 760 years to try every pizza place in this thread.
Pffft nerd

Reaction Score
Had my first pie (Funghi) from Da Legna this weekend. Solid pie but not in the same league as the big 3 imo... It’s 2 doors down from Modern too so that’s extra tough. They seem to be doing really well in there own right too though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I noticed earlier this month that Stretch's in Newington has changed names, anyone know what happened? It was a really solid spot for takeout, although the wait could sometimes be 2 hours.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
conclusive proof that there is life on mars. signed, yoos people. lol.

Reaction Score
We were having a discussion about Palm Beach Apizza yesterday, from Grand Avenue in Fair Haven... way back in the day. Anyone else remember dining there?

Yes, great pizza

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I noticed earlier this month that Stretch's in Newington has changed names, anyone know what happened? It was a really solid spot for takeout, although the wait could sometimes be 2 hours.

It's all on the Stretch's Pizza Facebook page. TLDR: Guy closed up shop because he needed a hip replacement.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So after reading about Bufalina on here, I went a few weeks back. The place is the truth, right up there with the big 3. Thanks @8893. It was as good as advertised.
I was on vacation last week in the pizza wasteland that is Rhode Island and learned that Bufalina was closing for vacation from Sunday through the end of the month. When we got home on Saturday there was no debate about what we were doing for dinner that night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom