OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 136 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I'm convinced he moved in with Debbie...
Watch "Barstool Pizza Review - Roseland Apizza (Derby, CT)" on YouTube

Pres knows his pizza. 8.6!!! Roseland ranks right up there with the big 3.

Isn’t someone on the BY the owner or from the family of Roseland’s? I thought I’ve seen that written somewhere here. If so congrats on the great score!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason why there is no good pizza outside that radius is because the outlanders have grown up eating some hideous stuff and they've come to think it is the essence of good pizza. I know someone who moved to New Haven several years ago from Buffalo and he can't abide at all by New Haven pizza. He craves what they do in Buffalo. If he must eat pizza in New Haven, he goes to Bar. I swear, Pepe's could open a shop in Buffalo that duplicates what Wooster St. does and it would be closed within 3 months. I recently read an article by a Buffalonian in a national magazine, and he was extolling Buffalo style pizza. I was convinced he was going to hide the descriptions that proved how awful it was. He didn't. But instead he made them into virtues: sickly sweet sauce, thick bread, heaps of cheese that separate so you end up chewing goo. "Lacks structural integrity." His words. People around here actually like this stuff. They even prefer it to the few shops that try to introduce Neapolitan style here and fail. This largely explains why New Haven pizza is not reproduced elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced he moved in with Debbie...
Watch "Barstool Pizza Review - Roseland Apizza (Derby, CT)" on YouTube

Before I moved to the 'true' suburbs when I was 8, my Mom would give me $5 so that I could grab a slice for lunch after playing with my friends at Ryan Field while watching a Derby football game on a brisk Saturday morning. It was about a 10 minute walk. After I moved, I was within a 15 minute walk my new hometown's high school; but, the only place to eat between there and my house was McD's. Man, I was spoiled and did not even know it.

Reaction Score
The reason why there is no good pizza outside that radius is because the outlanders have grown up eating some hideous stuff and they've come to think it is the essence of good pizza. I know someone who moved to New Haven several years ago from Buffalo and he can't abide at all by New Haven pizza. He craves what they do in Buffalo. If he must eat pizza in New Haven, he goes to Bar. I swear, Pepe's could open a shop in Buffalo that duplicates what Wooster St. does and it would be closed within 3 months. I recently read an article by a Buffalonian in a national magazine, and he was extolling Buffalo style pizza. I was convinced he was going to hide the descriptions that proved how awful it was. He didn't. But instead he made them into virtues: sickly sweet sauce, thick bread, heaps of cheese that separate so you end up chewing goo. "Lacks structural integrity." His words. People around here actually like this stuff. They even prefer it to the few shops that try to introduce Neapolitan style here and fail. This largely explains why New Haven pizza is not reproduced elsewhere.

I completely agree. I spent a lot of time in Detroit for work and they swore by their style of pizza, which is greekish, square, thick crusted with a bit of char on the bottom and cooked in steel pans. It's locally epitomized by Buddy's. The locals swear by it will start a fight with anyone who states that Chicago deep dish pizza is better while looking down at NYC pizza and laughing that little New Haven can have pizza as good as them. While Buddy's is OK, any place that also spawned Little Ceaser's and Domino's has issues.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i’d click on an isis site before the scumbags at barstool.
Nice tangent! Middle Eastern Pizza! A little Manakish for you?

Image15-3.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I completely agree. I spent a lot of time in Detroit for work and they swore by their style of pizza, which is greekish, square, thick crusted with a bit of char on the bottom and cooked in steel pans. It's locally epitomized by Buddy's. The locals swear by it will start a fight with anyone who sates that Chicago deep dish pizza is better while looking down at NYC pizza and laughing that little New Haven can have pizza anywhere as good as them. While Buddy's is OK, any place that also spawned Little Ceaser's and Domino's has issues.

People like the food they grew up eating. You guys have cracked the code!

Reaction Score
There are New Haven style places all over now. There is one in Chicago and it's always been really popular, obviously not as good as New Haven but it's one of two places in the city that seems to know how to make a good thin crust pie.

Reaction Score
People like the food they grew up eating. You guys have cracked the code!

Well, people were wondering why...

I moved to Connecticut from Virginia. I knew a good thing right away.

&, the fact is, I've never seen a national TV show extolling the virtues of Michigan pizza. So, apparently, some people are more refined.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are New Haven style places all over now. There is one in Chicago and it's always been really popular, obviously not as good as New Haven but it's one of two places in the city that seems to know how to make a good thin crust pie.
Piece? He’s from New Haven. Great logo, too. How is their beer?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, people were wondering why...

I moved to Connecticut from Virginia. I knew a good thing right away.

&, the fact is, I've never seen a national TV show extolling the virtues of Michigan pizza. So, apparently, some people are more refined.

The bizarre desire of people here to claim superiority over others based on their choice in pizza is brutal to witness.

Some places they pluck critters out of the local river and think it’s delicious.

Kansas City or Texas or North Carolina BBQ? Wild predicition. Most people like the one they had first.

OMG you didn’t get fresh clams at some obscure place in New Haven. You are such a looser.

Reaction Score
The bizarre desire of people here to claim superiority over others based on their choice in pizza is brutal to witness.

Some places they pluck critters out of the local river and think it’s delicious.

Kansas City or Texas or North Carolina BBQ? Wild predicition. Most people like the one they had first.

OMG you didn’t get fresh clams at some obscure place in New Haven. You are such a looser.

A looser. Good one.

Stop being so uptight. My god, you can't rank on people for their horrendous pizza now. It hurts their feelings.

What a snowflake.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A looser. Good one.

Stop being so uptight. My god, you can't rank on people for their horrendous pizza now. It hurts their feelings.

What a snowflake.

Yeah I’m a snowflake for noticing that preening over one’s personal tastes gets tiresome.

Nailed it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be clear, I have never claimed to be superior to anyone based on my choice in pizza; I have only claimed to have a superior taste in pizza.

You get it. You call out Hung for the same thing.

Reaction Score
Piece? He’s from New Haven. Great logo, too. How is their beer?
Yes. He owns it with the lead singer of (edit- guitarist Rick Nielsen) of Cheap Trick. They've always done a great business and the New Haven guy and his brothers opened a bagel place connected to it. I used to go a fair amount but never do anymore, if I lived around New Haven I would eat pizza every other day. I remember talking to the owner at Modern and we joked that they try but it just ain't nearly the same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since you are able to post here I suspect you have access to Google

Top podcasts, crushing SiriusXM, blogs get thousands of hits, and they make millions of dollars. What did you find?

Reaction Score
Top podcasts, crushing SiriusXM, blogs get thousands of hits, and they make millions of dollars. What did you find?

Barstool is pretty lame to me for the most part but I do crack up when I see people on Twitter portraying them as homophobic neo-nazi's. They are just a bland, low brow comedy brand in my eyes, with one good podcast.

Back to the pizza - did you make a personal appearance @Jluc? Do you agree with the categorization as a large "bar style" pizza? I always assumed it was the regular NH style but I love Colony so I need to visit you guys .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I like your subtlety in not adding, "Why claim superiority when you can just simply be superior?" as your signature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom