OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 120 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
You hosting a group of philistines this weekend or something?

You guys have Detroit-style pizza up there yet? We've now got three, all in the past two years. One is a chain (Jet's). Kinda like Sicilian- meets-Greek. Anyway, if there is one in Ffld Cty, that might do the trick.

I don't think there is a Chicago place, let alone a Detroit place. Sounds good though. I just have a hankering for deep dish. I absolutely loved Uno as a kid and I eat Pepe's every week.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Best Sucilian pie ive ever had was at Gino’s in Waterbury. Only sauce and grated cheese. And garlic. Oh gawd the garlic.

Reaction Score
Wrong But I will admit Zupps make an awesome white clam if you don’t mind spending $25 on a small
Pepe's used to be higher, maybe even #1 like 30 years ago. Dropped several notches in recent years. Zuppardis is the best, only place in greater New Haven that still make their own sausage. I always get the Zupps Special when I'm in town. If you want expensive pizza go to Sally's, $35 w tax for a large sausage and mushroom pie is outrageous. Zuppardis and Modern are a cut above the rest nowadays, didn't always used to be like that.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a Chicago place, let alone a Detroit place. Sounds good though. I just have a hankering for deep dish. I absolutely loved Uno as a kid and I eat Pepe's every week.

There is a Uno by Fenway Park but you probably aren’t that hungry... There was one at west farms for years but it’s gone.

Reaction Score
There is a Uno by Fenway Park but you probably aren’t that hungry... There was one at west farms for years but it’s gone.

I believe the UNO by the Bball HOF is still open

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It is.

But the thing with Deep dish is that it is the only Pizza that doesnt suffer very badly from freezing and reheat in a home oven. Its just the nature of the way those Pies are made (longer cooks at lower Temps - more casserole than pizza) it lends itself to that treatment way better than any other frozen pizza .

Thus the Supermarket Freezer of UNO Pizzas is a very decent and edible appoximation. Or you can go one step further and do I what I did for my Chicago Native parents on XMAS eve. I ordered 6 Lou Malnati's frozen deep dish shipped. (6 is where the price break makes sense on ordering) And while it aint quite the same, it was damn good and close.) They were ecstatic.

A couple of pro tips of cooking either at home. Grease the Pie Pan with a generous mix of olive oil and melted butter. ALWAYS do these in a Pie Pan, not straight in the oven or on a baking sheet.

HUCHzzg.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is.

But the thing with Deep dish is that it is the only Pizza that doesnt suffer very badly from freezing and reheat in a home oven. Its just the nature of the way those Pies are made (longer cooks at lower Temps - more casserole than pizza) it lends itself to that treatment way better than any other frozen pizza .

Thus the Supermarket Freezer of UNO Pizzas is a very decent and edible appoximation. Or you can go one step further and do I what I did for my Chicago Native parents on XMAS eve. I ordered 6 Lou Malnati's frozen deep dish shipped. (6 is where the price break makes sense on ordering) And while it aint quite the same, it was damn good and close.) They were ecstatic.

A couple of pro tips of cooking either at home. Grease the Pie Pan with a generous mix of olive oil and melted butter. ALWAYS do these in a Pie Pan, not straight in the oven or on a baking sheet.

HUCHzzg.jpg
All due respect, Dub, but that looks like the fried dough available at Rentschler.

Reaction Score

Yeah lots of our vendors stay at the HGI there and I meet them for a couple after we work or meetings. Pizzas not good at all no matter what your choice would be. Best bet is walk across the parking lot to Max's or Plan B if you want some good beer and a decent meal. Pizza just doesn't cut it at UNO's there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sat. - Lunch at Rossini's - East Hampton following my son's Pinewood Derby. Split a small Special w/o Peppers with my father.
Sun. Lunch at Three Fellas - Marlborough following his swim lesson - Slice of Chicken Bacon Ranch
Last night - Dinner at Pizzeria DaVinci - Colbalt before his Pack Meeting.- Slice of Pepperoni.

Rossini's was it's normal spot-on goodness.
Three Fellas was decent, no complaints, but not exactly going out of my way with Rossini's less than a mile down the road on a non-Monday.
DaVinci, which is normally pretty solid, served slices that may or may not have been under the warmer all afternoon. Fairly decent after being reheated for 5 minutes, but none to appetizing in the case at first glance.

Reaction Score
zuppardi's is gas-fired pizza, so it's never going to beat the coal-fired pizza at "the big three." really great pizza though, and the atmosphere is pretty much unbeatable. it belongs in the "second tier" of new haven-area places, all of which smoke most other towns' best places.

abate's (two doors down wooster street from pepe's) makes a really good sicilian-style pizza. seemingly one of the only places around here that does!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But the thing with Deep dish is that it is the only Pizza that doesnt suffer very badly from freezing and reheat in a home oven.

I'll say it. That's because it wasn't that great to begin with.

Reaction Score
zuppardi's is gas-fired pizza, so it's never going to beat the coal-fired pizza at "the big three." really great pizza though, and the atmosphere is pretty much unbeatable. it belongs in the "second tier" of new haven-area places, all of which smoke most other towns' best places.

abate's (two doors down wooster street from pepe's) makes a really good sicilian-style pizza. seemingly one of the only places around here that does!
Couldn't disagree more, 800 or 900 degrees in a gas fired oven or a coal fired oven or a wood fired oven makes no difference as long as the walls of the oven are still brick or cement lined. What does make a difference is how the dough is made, and Zuppardis has always used a better grade of olive oil than the other places, also freshly made sausage makes a difference to me. I'll say it again, Zuppardis, then Modern, then Sally's if you can afford it, Pepe's.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more, 800 or 900 degrees in a gas fired oven or a coal fired oven or a wood fired oven makes no difference as long as the walls of the oven are still brick or cement lined. What does make a difference is how the dough is made, and Zuppardis has always used a better grade of olive oil than the other places, also freshly made sausage makes a difference to me. I'll say it again, Zuppardis, then Modern, then Sally's if you can afford it, Pepe's.

could be true about the olive oil and sausage, i honestly couldn't tell you! but zuppardi's doesn't use a brick oven. see the picture below.

tumblr_inline_nrl7vmUrMB1qb3qcf_500.jpg

it's good pizza, we don't disagree there, but the texture (and char) is different when it comes out of a conventional gas oven!

Reaction Score
could be true about the olive oil and sausage, i honestly couldn't tell you! but zuppardi's doesn't use a brick oven. see the picture below.

View attachment 38886

it's good pizza, we don't disagree there, but the texture (and char) is different when it comes out of a conventional gas oven!

They do vacuum the ovens frequently throughout the night which might make a difference, have no idea though

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

If they sell Sicilian slices like they do on 14th Street, and if the slices are as good as on 14th Street, this IS news!

2 Sundays ago, I got a slice for the first time in their new location across the street from where I used to walk up to the sidewalk window. I was skeptical, but it was a planned part of a walk from Fulton Street to GCT, and chosen over Katz's Deli. It was outstanding: crunchy, FULL-fat flavor, with great chunky plum tomato sauce. I don't eat anything like this anywhere else, but here it is special.

Noted: Before it closed, the Bridgeport Two Boots was terrible in comparison to the the one I used to go to in the West Village, and I have never had a transcendent pie from any Pepe's other than Wooster Street.

Between this, Goldburger's and its related restaurant, I'm seeing a new reason to check out Newington at some point.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Damn Yankee's and their artisanal hipster foods are everywhere. Artichoke and pizza! Sacrilege!

Artichoke as a topping is pretty common in Italy.

I'm sort of surprised there's room for pizza chains to succeed in CT. Or why a franchisee would pick CT for a pizza chain.

I guess the kids these days put a premium on making their own pizza with wacky nonsensical combos over a classic NH pizza. We have a local chain of "build your pizza" that is an abomination for folks who appreciate crust. Just awful. But it's popular in that demographic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If they sell Sicilian slices like they do on 14th Street, and if the slices are as good as on 14th Street, this IS news!

2 Sundays ago, I got a slice for the first time in their new location across the street from where I used to walk up to the sidewalk window. I was skeptical, but it was a planned part of a walk from Fulton Street to GCT, and chosen over Katz's Deli. It was outstanding: crunchy, FULL-fat flavor, with great chunky plum tomato sauce. I don't eat anything like this anywhere else, but here it is special.

Noted: Before it closed, the Bridgeport Two Boots was terrible in comparison to the the one I used to go to in the West Village, and I have never had a transcendent pie from any Pepe's other than Wooster Street.

Between this, Goldburger's and its related restaurant, I'm seeing a new to check out Newington at some point.

Doubt it will be as good. Different water, different air, different cooking environment. Non of the other Pepe's locations match the original.

Reaction Score

Between this, Goldburger's and its related restaurant, I'm seeing a new to check out Newington at some point.
Even the one on Wooster St has gone down a notch or two since the old man died. Even when it was really good Pepe's best pizza came from the "Spot" in back.

Reaction Score
Tremendous Pizza at Roseland in Derby. FRESH CLAMS and the other ingredients are fantastic

Reaction Score
Even the one on Wooster St has gone down a notch or two since the old man died. Even when it was really good Pepe's best pizza came from the "Spot" in back.
I never found that to be true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom