OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 112 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
He’s a quick learner, I’ll give him that. I agree with the order in which he has rated the Big Three; and I give him props for recognizing that it is nitpicking to distinguish among them.

I’m curious to see what his BAR apizza looked like. I’ve never done takeout from there and would never consider it. And they always cut them differently. My guess is that he rated it low 80s.

I have not been to Sally's since the night I had Monica Selles autograph a pizza box in the mid 90's. Despite living in Glastonbury, I still hit Pepe's somewhat regularly and Modern occasionally. Looks like I need to get back to Sally's again. Recommendation on topping(s) 8893? Also, Toppings at Bufalina?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
9.2 w/ Language Alert

Ok, Pres seems to get it now, Why has nobody ever mentioned Abate's? I remember a long time ago being shut out at the others so went to Abate's. Not quite at their level but I remember it being very good. The places that never get talked about in New Haven are better than 95% of the pizza you get elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Ok, Pres seems to get it now, Why has nobody ever mentioned Abate's? I remember a long time ago being shut out at the others so went to Abate's. Not quite at their level but I remember it being very good. The places that never get talked about in New Haven are better than 95% of the pizza you get elsewhere.

Agree, its like getting a cheese steak in Philly or (and yes I know some will disgare here) a lobster roll in Maine...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree, its like getting a cheese steak in Philly or (and yes I know some will disgare here) a lobster roll in Maine...
Cheesesteak is the second best sandwich in Philly. Italian roast pork special is the best by a mile.

And don’t get me started on the crime that is the cold, mayo-laden, sad Maine bastardized lobster roll.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have not been to Sally's since the night I had Monica Selles autograph a pizza box in the mid 90's. Despite living in Glastonbury, I still hit Looks like I need to get back to Sally's again. Recommendation on topping(s) 8893? Also, Toppings at Bufalina?

At Sally’s I love the fresh tomato pies when tomatoes are in season. Same with the Garden Special. Plain cheese is great as are any of the meats. On our most recent visit my daughter got a bacon pie and it was the winner among three great pies.

As for Bufalina, this is from a few pages back:

Tre Carni would be my recommendation from their regular menu; Maiale and Pepita are my favorites on their Fall menu. I note that their special tonight is a Clam Pizza, with parsley oil, grated parm and bacon

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

Abate's is good for pizza, better for calzones, and does a bang up job with seafood and traditional Italian dishes. I'd go there for old style Italian food, not necessarily for pizza though... not that it was bad, but look at it's neighbors: Pepe's, The Spot, Sally's -- hard to compete on those couple of blocks.

Reaction Score
Cheesesteak is the second best sandwich in Philly. Italian roast pork special is the best by a mile.

And don’t get me started on the crime that is the cold, mayo-laden, sad Maine bastardized lobster roll.

Not to get too off topic from a pizza thread, but I had DiNic’s Roast Pork sandwich for the first time recently. It was very good. Really liked the broccoli rabe on top. I might stop at John’s Roast Pork before or after the Army-Navy game. Philly’s food scene is fun to explore!

Ok Pizza contribution. Lorenzo’s and Sons on South St. in Philly is decent drunk pizza. Huuuge slice! Overall Philly can’t even come close to competing with CT’s pizza game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Abate's is good for pizza, better for calzones, and does a bang up job with seafood and traditional Italian dishes. I'd go there for old style Italian food, not necessarily for pizza though... not that it was bad, but look at it's neighbors: Pepe's, The Spot, Sally's -- hard to compete on those couple of blocks.
Abate would be good if it were the local go-to in another neighborhood. Unless I'm nearby for some reason, I don't generally choose Grand, Olde World, Rossini's, Mike's, or certain similar others, when I have Ernie's so close to home.. I'm imaginng that Bobby's fits something like this. It's an embarrassment of riches.

Reaction Score
They only cook the crust and the sauce and meat. All other toppings go on cold!

and then there is Ketchup in the shot!

That photo is my kryptonite. It should be flagged for obscenity.
I felt like someone stomped on the flag with that photo. And the approach to pizza and American minds is plain obscene!!!

Reaction Score
He’s a quick learner, I’ll give him that. I agree with the order in which he has rated the Big Three; and I give him props for recognizing that it is nitpicking to distinguish among them.

I’m curious to see what his BAR apizza looked like. I’ve never done takeout from there and would never consider it. And they always cut them differently. My guess is that he rated it low 80s.
It’s funny that he seems to love Sally’s but still gives it only a 9.2. It’s funny how voters can never give something a perfect score, even if they think it’s essentially perfect. It reminds me of Hall of Fame voters who refuse to put someone on the ballot the first year even though their credentials are impeccable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He’s not wrong. I end up agreeing with him more than disagreeing. The order is correct, and Bar totally flopped, which is not surprising given the evanescent character of that pie. I think just placing it in a takeout box probably ruins it

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He’s not wrong. I end up agreeing with him more than disagreeing. The order is correct, and Bar totally flopped, which is not surprising given the evanescent character of that pie. I think just placing it in a takeout box probably ruins it
There was no way that slice wasn’t going to fall apart. No way. We saw that coming a mile away

Reaction Score
Bar blew the pizza capital of the world spot. We just needed an 8 out of them.

Shoulda sent him to Bobby’s instead

He said he’d think about it because it’s very close. Like you said if BAR got a 8+ then I think he would be declared it on the spot. I was hoping he’d go to Zuppardi’s. That’s more up his alley along with the big 3.

Reaction Score
OTish: I mentioned this an another thread, but figured I’d come to best source:

I always believed that New Haven has the better pizza and greater Hartford has the better grinders.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Reaction Score
OTish: I mentioned this an another thread, but figured I’d come to best source:

I always believed that New Haven has the better pizza and greater Hartford has the better grinders.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Do we have an active grinder thread?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom