OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 102 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Don't forget their sausage pie
That's what "The Special" is, with mushrooms also thrown in.

Screenshot_20180825-211338.png

Reaction Score
Worth mentioning.

Dave Portnoy (El Pres) of Barstool Sports debuted his "One Bite" app this week. Basically, it's like a Yelp for just pizza where you can find a pizza place wherever you are and users score them 0.0 - 10.0 to let you know where the best ones are.

I spent about 2 hours hitting all the spots I have gone in the area.

And if you don't watch his One Bite pizza reviews (posted daily on the site), you should.

Reaction Score
I know this is for Ct, but for anyone who is the D.C. area The Italian Store in Arlington makes one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had. Lots of real products from Italy there also. The cheese they use in Italy when i was there is different and much much better, why i don’t know.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Worth mentioning.

Dave Portnoy (El Pres) of Barstool Sports debuted his "One Bite" app this week. Basically, it's like a Yelp for just pizza where you can find a pizza place wherever you are and users score them 0.0 - 10.0 to let you know where the best ones are.

I spent about 2 hours hitting all the spots I have gone in the area.

And if you don't watch his One Bite pizza reviews (posted daily on the site), you should.

I moved to Pittsburgh in 2002. It doesn't matter what online voters on a Yelp-like app determine is the "best". Using my current city as an example, you could easily get a top 10 where someone who grew up on Wooster St pizza would throw out all 10 after one bite.

This place is a hugely popular local institution. If you were born and raised on CT pizza, you are likely offended that this is called "pizza".

It's not that there isn't good pizza here. I have a handful to choose from within a couple miles. But the ones that most resemble what you get back in CT are not popular here at all. In a recent reddit meetup to determine Pittsburgh's best pizza, 20 pizzas were entered and a Costco pie ended up in 2nd place. My two favorites were both in the 15-20 range (the only ones with bubbly crusts and some char).

Better to come over here to BY, state where you're going and ask for pizza recos from people who are more likely to share your pizza heritage than go on an app that is more likely to lead you astray than feed you decent pizza.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I moved to Pittsburgh in 2002. It doesn't matter what online voters on a Yelp-like app determine is the "best". Using my current city as an example, you could easily get a top 10 where someone who grew up on Wooster St pizza would throw out all 10 after one bite.

This place is a hugely popular local institution. If you were born and raised on CT pizza, you are likely offended that this is called "pizza".

It's not that there isn't good pizza here. I have a handful to choose from within a couple miles. But the ones that most resemble what you get back in CT are not popular here at all. In a recent reddit meetup to determine Pittsburgh's best pizza, 20 pizzas were entered and a Costco pie ended up in 2nd place. My two favorites were both in the 15-20 range (the only ones with bubbly crusts and some char).

Better to come over here to BY, state where you're going and ask for pizza recos from people who are more likely to share your pizza heritage than go on an app that is more likely to lead you astray than feed you decent pizza.

For fun, I visited the Yelp entry for Ernie's , maybe on owner Pat's birthday.

A review near the top was 1 star and included a picture that made me go, "Mmm, Ernie's."

The reviewer found it to be a waste of $40 for burnt product. If I were at the next table, I'd be thinking, "Hey, are you gonna eat that crust?"

Reaction Score

That looks disgusting. It looks like a terrible uncooked Stouffers pizza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Im offended. and disgusted. And Im calling them today to tell them so.

"We sell it by the cut" ? What the scalitoing hell?

giphy.gif

The sad thing is, it's not even the worst choice for "pizza" here (although if I'd ordered a cut with cold mushrooms right out of the can I might change that opinion). I actually went to a place called Campiti's that was highly recommended on Yelp, picked up the pizza, had a bite of it in the car, pulled over, called another pizza place and threw that one in the trash.

The pizza at Shea Stadium and the old Norwalk Drive-In theatre were better than that pizza. You know the cardboard that comes with frozen pizza? This was that cardboard.

Reaction Score
Was working Norwalk for a while and hit Colony in Norwalk a dozen time and braved hte traffic once or twice for Pepe's in Fairfield. My neighbor's daughter want to go to Yale and I offered to drive her up as her Dad works crazy hours as a Cop. he gave me an off look and I looked right back and told him if he ever went to Modern Apizza or the original Pepe's in New Haven he would understand...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was working Norwalk for a while and hit Colony in Norwalk a dozen time and braved hte traffic once or twice for Pepe's in Fairfield. My neighbor's daughter want to go to Yale and I offered to drive her up as her Dad works crazy hours as a Cop. he gave me an off look and I looked right back and told him if he ever went to Modern Apizza or the original Pepe's in New Haven he would understand...

I lived in Norwalk pre-Colony expansion from 96-99. Rented right near the HS. There were some pretty good pizzas I could walk to that don't get mentioned here. Letitzia's comes to mind.

Anyway, last time I was back there I was told that if I liked Colony, then Fat Cat was better.

It's most assuredly not.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The best pizza in Connecticut is in The Bronx.

I used to work in Pelham Manor and my first wife was from Mt. Vernon so I spent a decent amount of time in The Bronx. There are certainly good pizzas on White Plains Rd and Arthur Ave and elsewhere. And I've had a few. But IMO, they are still behind the top apizzas in CT, mostly based on crust texture.

Although there was one place on Rte 1 near the Westchester border that was famous for their "red and white" - big clouds of ricotta in addition to mozz with red sauce - that was something few if any CT places did.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I lived in Norwalk pre-Colony expansion from 96-99. Rented right near the HS. There were some pretty good pizzas I could walk to that don't get mentioned here. Letitzia's comes to mind.

Anyway, last time I was back there I was told that if I liked Colony, then Fat Cat was better.

It's most assuredly not.
Fat Cat has its place, paired w/salad & wine, which is its owners' forte.

Letizia's is yet another in the "non-transcendent good local place that everywhere ought to have" category.

If @Irishfan 's comment on The Bronx wasn't a misfire that meant Brooklyn, it needs to name names.

I got as far as Ronnie's in Tremont for white pies, and some average (read: good enough) street slices near Fordham, before discovering and liking best Johnny's in nearby Mount Vernon, which also hits the Letizia's, Salerno's, Rossini's sweet spot.

Reaction Score
Fat Cat has its place, paired w/salad & wine, which is its owners' forte.

Letizia's is yet another in the "non-transcendent good local place that everywhere ought to have" category.

If @Irishfan 's comment on The Bronx wasn't a misfire that meant Brooklyn, it needs to name names.

I got as far as Ronnie's in Tremont for white pies, and some average (read: good enough) street slices near Fordham, before discovering and liking best Johnny's in nearby Mount Vernon, which also hits the Letizia's, Salerno's, Rossini's sweet spot.

Yeah, based on my personal experience, a discussion about Bronx food belongs more in the Bagel thread than the pizza thread

Reaction Score
Yeah, based on my personal experience, a discussion about Bronx food belongs more in the Bagel thread than the pizza thread
I visited little Italy in the Bronx for the first time in MANY years and was saddened by what I saw. It isn't the same place. I think I like the Manhattan little Italy more now.

Shouldn't a ND fan posting anti-CT pizza insults on a UConn board get banned?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom