OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 115 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Don't laugh. I once designed a fairly prominent Hartford restaurant and part of the deal was a $5,000 gift card. That got me out of the house for a few years.

Where’s the Hartford one? I know Newington coming soon. They have several in NYC. Never tried. Are artichokes good on pizza?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Former McKinnon's Irish Pub on Asylum.

Small place. Thought the guy left due to a tiny kitchen. He’s supposed to reopen ?

Reaction Score
Small place. Thought the guy left due to a tiny kitchen. He’s supposed to reopen ?
New owners. I could give you more info than you need but yes, everything about the kitchen set-up is dicey. We've got some issues to work through the Health Department.

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried Blaze? Was shopping and my oldest was hungry (he's 12 and always hungry) and heard about good review of this 'fast' make-your own pizza place in the plaza we were at. Checked on-line and there a pair of them in CT - New Haven at Jordan's Furniture (yikes) and at Storrs Commons. I thought it was OK. In CT and NJ, I would not go out of my way to have it, in the southeast and other pizza-depraved regions, maybe.

Blaze Pizza - Fast-Fire'd Custom Built Artisanal Pizzas

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried Blaze? Was shopping and my oldest was hungry (he's 12 and always hungry) and heard about good review of this 'fast' make-your own pizza place in the plaza we were at. Checked on-line and there a pair of them in CT - New Haven at Jordan's Furniture (yikes) and at Storrs Commons. I thought it was OK. In CT and NJ, I would not go out of my way to have it, in the southeast and other pizza-depraved regions, maybe.

Has to be a joke, right?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In case any of you are still wondering what to get me for Christmas.
1544974852315.png

"Pizza in New Haven is the culmination of over 140 years of Italian cultural and culinary influence in this storied Yankee industrial city. Caplan captures a legendary but forgotten past showcasing the toils of immigration and factory work and the bonds created through preparing family recipes. The book opens readers' appetites to one of the earliest and most influential pizza making cities in the country and how these hardworking families built a culinary industry around their shared passion for their native comfort food. The same coal that supplied the world with New Haven's factory fare cooked the delectable pizza that fed mill workers, produce farmers, politicians, college students and townies of every color, creed and carriage alike. New Haven's historic pizzerias dominate the city's food landscape and attract hungry and curious visitors from around the globe looking to satisfy their quest for what is unequivocally the greatest food to ever be made."

Reaction Score

I thought it was hot garbage when I went. They don't even stretch the dough, they just smoosh it! If you're going to head to a chain fast-casual build-your-own pizza place, head to 1000 degrees pizza.

Reaction Score
Barb’s is back! Kinda...

barbs-pizza-810x609.jpg

West Hartford Business Buzz: December 17, 2018 - We-Ha | West Hartford News

Kitchen renovation is in the works, the signage is up, and owner Barry Arpaia confirmed that Barb’s Pizza will open sometime in the next several weeks at 968 Farmington Ave. in the space formerly occupied by Vaughan’s Pies and Pints which closed this fall. “West Hartford is an amazing opportunity for us,” said Arpaia. “It’s a quaint little notch in a mega-center of business,” he said of the location in the Brace Road parking lot. Although the previous pizza places in that space have not lasted (Backstage was there before Vaughan’s), Arpaia is confident that he will make it work. Everything on the menu is hand-crafted, and will include slices, calzones, stuffed bread, salads, and “very good Italian sandwiches,” he said. They will be open for lunch, serve beer and wine, and will have slices available late night on Friday and Saturday evenings. The dining room will be virtually the same as it was for Vaughan’s, and the outdoor seating on the expansive patio will return in the spring. And if the name “Barb’s Pizza” sounds familiar to West Hartford old-timers it should, because for years there was a Barb’s Pizza on Park Road, where Joey’s is now, and this is the same owner. Arpaia has been operating Barb’s Pizza in Cromwell for the past 16 years, he said, but has been involved in the industry for much longer. “I’ve been building restaurants for 32 years,” Arpaia said. He’s also been a restaurant consultant. The name of Barb’s Pizza, which Arpaia hand-drew and had turned into a logo by Lawrin Rosen of ARTeffects in Bloomfield, is a nod to former Harry’s Pizza partner Barbara Lang. “It’s all my recipes, all my designs, but I do love her name. It’s synonymous with success,” he said.

Reaction Score
It's just a chain, and probably nothing special really, but has anyone tried the new 1000 Degrees Pizza and Wings that opened up in Glastonbury in the past few months?

1000 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria Franchises Fast Casual Pizza Franchise
Wow, had it tonight to try something new and wanted something quick, so I placed an online order... horrible. Stay far, far away. Fits in the space of fast, casual pizza like Boston Market does for homestyle sides and chicken. But it’s ultimately chain garbage food just like BM is. And a BM is what you’ll need to do after eating either.

Reaction Score
In a world where Dominos and Pizza Hut provide more pizza to US citizens than anything else, you cannot hate on Blaze.

This is not a gourmet pizzeria, it’s a fast casual joint that provides edible pizza made to order with real toppings for like $8. Can’t hate it anymore than calling Chipotle out for being a sorry excuse for Mexican food.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In a world where Dominos and Pizza Hut provide more pizza to US citizens than anything else, you cannot hate on Blaze.

This is not a gourmet pizzeria, it’s a fast casual joint that provides edible pizza made to order with real toppings for like $8. Can’t hate it anymore than calling Chipotle out for being a sorry excuse for Mexican food.

Thing is, in many places Chipotle is about as good as most of the "something in a tortilla smothered in cheese/yellow rice/refried beans all running into another on a plate" places that label themselves as "Mexican" restaurants. And a place like Blaze might be useful in a city like where I live where 98% of the pizza sucks.

But in CT, unless you're in the NE or NW corners of the state, there is no excuse to eat pizza at a place like Blaze or 1000 Degrees unless your parents take you there..

Reaction Score
But in CT, unless you're in the NE or NW corners of the state, there is no excuse to eat pizza at a place like Blaze or 1000 Degrees unless your parents take you there..

I agree. I only went to Blaze because I was in the Mall holiday shopping with my kids (for their mom), my oldest was hugary, which happens on an hourly basis no matter how much he eats, and I was not in the mood for a re-heated burger. It was food. Better than some in the Mall, worse than others. Living anywhere in metro NYC I would not go out of my way for it. If I was in Georgia, Kansas, etc. maybe if it was a quick drive and I really wanted pizza.

Reaction Score
I will support all consumers of Blaze pizza, and proudly will feed my 3 year old son there while he stares at the fountains in Jordan's furniture while the theme from Star Wars blares in the background!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom