OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 114 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I lived in India I could be a full time vegetarian. No problem at all. I rarely ate meat when out there. Obviously cow was not happening. Lamb and chicken you could get. But didnt need to. Chennai being on the Southern coast had lots of decent seafood though. Which was part of the Kadal Virundhu. The crab was to die for.

You'd suffer though. There's a notable absence on this list.

So, did you only crap in the luxury of your hotel, or did you go native with a pit toilet and bowl of water?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No, been to Chennai once; but, stayed at the Turyaa Chennai instead. It was a busy week as I spent the week before in Manila and the week after in Mumbai before enjoying one of the great pleasures of life - a 17-hour, one-stop flight from Mumbai to Newark in coach in the last row of a 777. The CEO at that comapny was a bit cheap on business travel expenses.

Ugh.

Been there. Usually had Business class. I would mostly always fly through JFK>Heathrow direct to Chennai. I got stuck in the middle seat of the middle aisle in the back of coach on a full flight from Chennai to Heathrow which is a solid 13 hours once. Pure, pure torture. Never forget it.

August_West

Reaction Score
A man of culture. Kerala has better food and scenery than Tamil Nadu though!

Kerala.

now thats DOWN there. Only been once. and only for like a day and a half on a weekend. So cant speak to the food, but it was beautiful. Company I worked for had beachfront property in Pondicherry . So anyone who had to stay multiple weeks in the Chennai office had use of the Pondicherry property on weekends. Thats where I usually headed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Talk about turds in the punchbowl: first you guys sully this thread with a picture of some unspeakable abomination that makes RI party pizza look like New Haven's finest; now you are drifting on Indian food, which also tends to leave indelible marks on the palate and other senses.

August_West

Reaction Score
Talk about turds in the punchbowl: first you guys sully this thread with a picture of some unspeakable abomination that makes RI party pizza look like New Haven's finest; now you are drifting on Indian food, which also tends to leave indelible marks on the palate and other senses.

sorry for boneyardin'

Reaction Score
Agree, Bologna is underrated by Americans; it is considered the culinary capital of Italy. We had an excellent meal there, but I honestly believe it is hard to find bad food anywhere in Italy. We were there for almost three weeks and almost every meal was memorable.

You can find bad food in Venice

Reaction Score
Ugh.

Been there. Usually had Business class. I would mostly always fly through JFK>Heathrow direct to Chennai. I got stuck in the middle seat of the middle aisle in the back of coach on a full flight from Chennai to Heathrow which is a solid 13 hours once. Pure, pure torture. Never forget it.

At that company, unless you were C-Suite, you flew coach, no matter what. His lapdog actually asked me once if there was a way to circumvent ADA laws because it was costing too much money to send a few folks with verified disabilities to India business class because they could not sit in coach due to health issues. My answer was no.

That month was long. I flew Cathay Pacific for 16 hours from Newark to Hong Kong and then the same airline for 2 more hours to Manila. That was followed by a pair of 4 hour flights on Missing Airways, I mean Malaysian Airlines, to Chennai via Kuala Lumpur. Then a 2 hour crammed domestic flight on Air India from Chennai to Mumbai. Now that I remember, another reason we did not go out in Chennai was due to a visit from a Typhoon. Finally, a 17 hour ride on United as noted, last row, last seat, back to Newark flying over Pakistan, Afghanistan (flying more westerny over the Ukraine was a big no-no at that time) with strong turbulence the same typhoon moving into the Himalayans before finding smoother air over the Nordics. I think I am still suffering from PTSD from that one.

Reaction Score
Agree, Bologna is underrated by Americans; it is considered the culinary capital of Italy. We had an excellent meal there, but I honestly believe it is hard to find bad food anywhere in Italy. We were there for almost three weeks and almost every meal was memorable.
Got the chance to travel and eat all over Italy and Bologna is the best, IMO. My dad lived there for 5 years and I got to see where he lived and some of the places he used to frequent. Underrated city.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to turn threads like Hurley Q&A into pizza threads; it's a whole 'nother thing to drift the sacred pizza thread into unsavory waters.

I did not try Pizza in India, though there was a Pizza Hut (that served beer) next to my hotel in Manila. I stuck to the Thai food.

Reaction Score
Who gets a plain cheese pizza at BAR? And to go? No way. Mashed potato & bacon, or whatever else, and eat it there.
What he chose IS like Joe's, and Joe's is strictly for slices.

By the way he was judging, he'd have been better off w/DaLegna, and I sooner choose One6Three or Next Door over DaLegna. He'd have probably missed that Ernie's is more like a deliciously baked bread, as I did for a while until I got how wonderful it is to have Pat nearby making me pizza that I and the undiscriminating suburban grandkids can equally love.
All the reviews are of a plain cheese slice, the only and best way to judge a pizza. There are probably a hundred or so better pizza places than bar in CT., it should never be thrown into the Big 3 conversation.

Reaction Score
Kerala.

now thats DOWN there. Only been once. and only for like a day and a half on a weekend. So cant speak to the food, but it was beautiful. Company I worked for had beachfront property in Pondicherry . So anyone who had to stay multiple weeks in the Chennai office had use of the Pondicherry property on weekends. Thats where I usually headed.

Very cool! If you ever go back be sure to check out the Munnar tea plantations and do a house boat tour!

August_West

Reaction Score
I did not try Pizza in India, though there was a Pizza Hut (that served beer) next to my hotel in Manila. I stuck to the Thai food.

I was about to say. I had Pizza hut in India!

The first day on my first visit to my office they had a welcome party for me in the conference room and it was catered by Pizza Hut! They had sausage, they had Pepperoni....everything. Except it was all made out of chicken. But it tasted the same! . So did the crust so did the sauce. Amazing. I took the VP aside and thanked them and said " you dont have to do that for me, I LOVE your food and want to eat as much of it as I can while Im here." Then I realized that I was the excuse for THEM to get it.

see @8893 we are back on Pizza now!

Reaction Score
Quality has gone downhill. Last three times I got it it was not the same.
Still the same guys making it that have been for the last 30 years. Nothing has changed, including ingredients

Reaction Score
I didn't get there...yet. We went in summer and the advice I got, across the board, was to avoid Venice in the summer.

I love Venice. I love it in the summer too. But, pizza and finger foods. Focus on those. 45 minutes in the mountains outside Venice I had the best Italian meal ever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Got the chance to travel and eat all over Italy and Bologna is the best, IMO. My dad lived there for 5 years and I got to see where he lived and some of the places he used to frequent. Underrated city.

fwiw, the pizza at the concession stand at the Bologna convention center is better than a lot of the places mentioned in this thread.

Buuut... wife and I managed to have two bad meals in Italy. One was near Colosseum, actually recommended on some popular tourist site. Meat had seen better days. Waiter, whom I believe was Roma, tried to impress us by speaking in a bad Brooklyn accent and telling us he went to Rutgers. Also, near train station in Bologna on our way back to airport. Waiter tipped a wine glass into my wife's salad. It broke. Instead of replacing everything, he was trying to pick the glass out. Cut himself, started bleeding all over the table. We left over his protests. But that's a service issue... didn't really get around to trying the food at that place.

Even the braised horsemeat I had in Verona was good (on the menu it was simply "meat"). But yeah, what seemed like a pretty simple mushroom risotto I had in Bologna is in my top 10 lifetime meals it was so freaking good and layered with flavor. They do take food seriously there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just had a couple slices at Nino's in Uncasville. From the outside, I couldn't tell if it was Neapolitan or Greek, but when I got in there, it is definitely not Greek. Old school ovens and kind of greasy, but not bad in it's own right. Under any other circumstance, it is out of the way (about 4 miles off Rte 2A), but since Citizens saw fit to close their Gales Ferry branch, I would have no problem swinging by on my way back to my office.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it's not CT but is anyone familiar with Artichoke Basille's Pizza? It's a small NYC chain but they're expanding (new location under construction on the Berlin Turnpike) and I just got hired to design a new Hartford location. How's the product? I'm always thankful that I get paid up-front.

Reaction Score
I know it's not CT but is anyone familiar with Artichoke Basille's Pizza? It's a small NYC chain but they're expanding (new location under construction on the Berlin Turnpike) and I just got hired to design a new Hartford location. How's the product? I'm always thankful that I get paid up-front.

You should negotiate free pizza in the deal

Reaction Score
Don't laugh. I once designed a fairly prominent Hartford restaurant and part of the deal was a $5,000 gift card. That got me out of the house for a few years.

Very nice

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom