OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 99 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does anyone in CT eat Domino's Pizza? Would seem strange to do so with so many great options around.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's been mentioned in the first 95 pages, but I used to really love Geno's on New London Tpke in Glastonbury. I know it's not the type of pizza folks associate with the class of CT, but it was so good as far as thick, square pieces go. In that same class of pizza, Wilson Pizza in Windsor is also great.
Funny, but I thought Geno's was the most average pizza I ever ate. But I know many Glastonbury locals who loved it. I believe Harry's is there now. Very good pizza despite being a bit on the pricey side.
Geno's is ok for doughy, square-cut, Greek style pizza. Procaccini's in EH not far from there is not bad too. I prefer my pizza thin crusted. Harry's and Luna's in G-Bury are better.

Reaction Score
I’ve had the Big Green Truck a few different times and it was always great. Hired Est for our own party last summer and it was excellent. Fantastic pizzas, endless varieties, great salad and dessert and cleaned it all up. Guests were blown away and more than a few have contacted us since to find out who it was so they could hire them. Would definitely recommend.
Was just at my cousin's Jack and Jill in Old Saybrook this weekend and they had one of the fleet of Big Green Trucks. It was pretty good. Good variety but just a little limp and soggy. Could've used a couple more minutes in the oven.

Reaction Score
Does anyone in CT eat Domino's Pizza? Would seem strange to do so with so many great options around.
Was talking to a friend in Texas and he had just ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut which he thought was the best pizza in Texas. WARNING: don't order pizza in Texas.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Was talking to a friend in Texas and he had just ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut which he thought was the best pizza in Texas. WARNING: don't order pizza in Texas.

You can probably get an ammo delivery with it though.

Reaction Score
I travel a lot in Europe for my work, and the same was true when I was back in the states. I have sampled a lot of pizza, including Italy. The best pizza I have had is the pizza back in Connecticut and the surrounding states. I don't know if a lot of people in CT appreciate how good the pizza is. I didn't, until I started going on the road. The all time worst for me was northern California. They give you a dish of ranch dressing and you are supposed to dip your slice of already horrible pizza in the dressing. Right up there with N CA is Turkish pizza over here in Europe. I really miss that pizza from CT.
They give Ranch with pretty much everything you order out here.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They give Ranch with pretty much everything you order out here.
I grew up on California and never heard of dipping your pizza crust in ranch dressing until I moved to Reno where I also found out people dip their crust in honey. Weird stuff goes on here in Reno. Luckily, I did find one of my favorite pizza places in the world here (see my avatar) Home. <<<<<click that link. Smiling with Hope Pizza is fantastic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I grew up on California and never heard of dipping your pizza crust in ranch dressing until I moved to Reno where I also found out people dip their crust in honey. Weird stuff goes on here in Reno. Luckily, I did find one of my favorite pizza places in the world here (see my avatar) Home. <<<<<click that link. Smiling with Hope Pizza is fantastic.

I associate honey with the mountain west style pizza with a huge crust. Basically eat the slice and leave the crust behind to dip in the honey as a subsitute for dessert.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Have not been yet but a good friend went a few weeks ago and said it was great. I hope to get there soon.

My brother went recently and liked it... so next time I'm in town, I'll have to check it out.

Reaction Score
I associate honey with the mountain west style pizza with a huge crust. Basically eat the slice and leave the crust behind to dip in the honey as a subsitute for dessert.
Yup... To each his own. (timely tweet). I’ve had Denver pizza. It wasnt horrible but it’s clearly an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve had the Big Green Truck a few different times and it was always great. Hired Est for our own party last summer and it was excellent. Fantastic pizzas, endless varieties, great salad and dessert and cleaned it all up. Guests were blown away and more than a few have contacted us since to find out who it was so they could hire them. Would definitely recommend.
I teach in CT and Big Green Truck caters our school about three times a year. I swear whenever they come it's my favorite day of school save for graduation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just had a Pepe's last night while in West Hartford. Our go to place nearby home is Woodbridge Pizza in Manchester. Nice thin crust.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Stopped into Big Green Pizza Truck's Next Door Pizza Bar at the one time Humphrey's space in New Haven for a simple shared pizza & beer: broccoli rabe & sausage white pie & a NEBC Sea Hag.

Excellent pizza from first bite to last. 3 different rooms, each inviting, attractive, and comfortable.

Best first encounter in years, exceeding even nearby One6Three, Danbury's Stanziato's, Midwood's DiFara, and Bushwick's Roberta's, which have been other recent contenders.

Still haven't been to Buffalina (and been seated).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anybody been to Blind Pig Pizza on Arch St? I’ve heard good things, but does it have the boneyard seal of approval?
I love it there. You get Bear’s BBQ meat on it which is very good. I’m sure pizza traditionalists would scoff at the place but I’m the “if it tast s good hell yeah” kinda guy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
FWIW Bufalina takes reservations.
I know this and know that it's a good thing, and yet I've never been great with making reservations, as though it hems me in rather than making something possible. It occurs to me that the question I have is about lead time for reservations, and you'd know.

Somehow, Guilford feels like a hike, and making a reservation for pizza 15 miles away seems odd, but Buffalina seems like a good idea if I'm out that way, which isn't all that often (beach, sweet corn, along the way home). In writing this reply, I'm wondering if I could call for a reservation on relatively short notice, somewhat like calling for takeout, simply asking if there's anytime we could get in and planninh accordingly.

As a Westville local, I think nothing of being told crazy prep times if I call for Ernie's or House of Chao take out, or even scheduling a take out pizza with a generous lead time for Pat to make it. In other words, how do I best work it at Bufalina?

I'm going to have to deal with hype and expectations my first time no matter what anyway, and poking my head into a packed place and being politely told No hasn't worked.

Sorry for the long question while I sort this out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know this and know that it's a good thing, and yet I've never been great with making reservations, as though it hems me in rather than making something possible. It occurs to me that the question I have is about lead time for reservations, and you'd know.

Somehow, Guilford feels like a hike, and making a reservation for pizza 15 miles away seems odd, but Buffalina seems like a good idea if I'm out that way, which isn't all that often (beach, sweet corn, along the way home). In writing this reply, I'm wondering if I could call for a reservation on relatively short notice, somewhat like calling for takeout, simply asking if there's anytime we could get in and planninh accordingly.

As a Westville local, I think nothing of being told crazy prep times if I call for Ernie's or House of Chao take out, or even scheduling a take out pizza with a generous lead time for Pat to make it. In other words, how do I best work it at Bufalina?

I'm going to have to deal with hype and expectations my first time no matter what anyway, and poking my head into a packed place and being politely told No hasn't worked.

Sorry for the long question while I sort this out.
Short answer: it depends.

There are only eleven seats inside. Outside is weather permitting and first come, first served, but you'll want inside for your first visit. You need less lead time mid-week than on weekends, and with fewer people than with three or more. If you are flexible enough to sit before 6:00 or after 8:00, even last minute calls are worth trying on weekend nights. If you are going with four or more at a busy time on a busy night, you'll want to call at least a week in advance.

Consistent with your concern about dealing with hype and expectations, keep in mind that the beauty of the place, imo, is in appreciating the simple elegance of a few ingredients and an intimate setting, where there's a 50/50 chance you will end up sharing a piece of your neighbors' pie, and/or urging them to try one of yours, even though you are total strangers.

Order a salad so you can let your piping-hot pie sit for a minute or two before eating. Listen to the music. Watch four people work in a space that you would find cramped to work alone. Get at least one pizza per person, and have speck on at least one of them if feasible. If you like the individual ingredients on any pie but are apprehensive about the combination, trust that it will work. When in doubt, ask. They are incredibly nice people.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Short answer: it depends.

There are only eleven seats inside. Outside is weather permitting and first come, first served, but you'll want inside for your first visit. You need less lead time mid-week than on weekends, and with fewer people than with three or more. If you are flexible enough to sit before 6:00 or after 8:00, even last minute calls are worth trying on weekend nights. If you are going with four or more at a busy time on a busy night, you'll want to call at least a week in advance.

Consistent with your concern about dealing with hype and expectations, keep in mind that the beauty of the place, imo, is in appreciating the simple elegance of a few ingredients and an intimate setting, where there's a 50/50 chance you will end up sharing a piece of your neighbors' pie, and/or urging them to try one of yours, even though you are total strangers.

Order a salad so you can let your piping-hot pie sit for a minute or two before eating. Listen to the music. Watch four people work in a space that you would find cramped to work alone. Get at least one pizza per person, and have speck on at least one of them if feasible. If you like the individual ingredients on any pie but are apprehensive about the combination, trust that it will work. When in doubt, ask. They are incredibly nice people.

The final sentence is key and fits with how theyvve said No.
And your tips align with ways I avoid lines on Wooster Street or at Modern (though with more options when there are lines), unless I'm hosting an out-of-towner on a mission.

The small & friendly One6Three has good combos, and Ive traded slices with others and even suggested that they should take their slowest night and make it a thing, so that people show up with that expectation.
I was looking for the long answer, so thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom