OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 143 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
For the next time someone says “you can find good pizza anywhere”

Move out of the NJ/NYC/CT plus maybe Mass, RI, Maine (Otto is decent) and Philly on a good day and its very easy to find bad pizza.

Reaction Score
I hope you picked up the 8893 commemorative knee pads on way out. Collectors item.
rD5Z2jab2CcKs.gif

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just found out First and Last in Middletown closed over some pissing match with the town. That was the best of the First and Last's IMO, and Middletown reminds us why they are Middletown by picking a fight with one of the 5 successful businesses on Main Street.

Reaction Score
I just found out First and Last in Middletown closed over some pissing match with the town. That was the best of the First and Last's IMO, and Middletown reminds us why they are Middletown by picking a fight with one of the 5 successful businesses on Main Street.
The Plainville location is pretty good. Looks like F&L Middletown owed $140k in back rent going back to 2016. The new owner bought the business in 2016. That's all I've read but it seems this is on the owner.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Plainville location is pretty good. Looks like F&L Middletown owed $140k in back rent going back to 2016. The new owner bought the business in 2016. That's all I've read but it seems this is on the owner.

I am sure the owner was not completely innocent, but the city was a big part of the problem too. They are the landlord, but then they took away a lot of the parking for that location, meaning that F&L got to fight over limited street parking, which basically put it out of the banquet and party business. The city then refused to renegotiate the lease.

The city made a business decision not to renegotiate, and the owner made a business decision not to piss hundreds of thousands of dollars away on a location that could no longer be profitable at the current rent. Now Middletown has a vacant storefront on Main Street that can compete with all the other vacant storefronts on Main Street for the 2 businesses that may want to open downtown in any given year.

I thought MIddletown's was the best of the three that I had been to. I like the Hartford location better than Plainville, although both are good. First and last is a different take on pizza without going crazy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I haven't been to John's Best in Norwalk in 10+ years, but growing up, it was one of my family's "go to" dinner places, and the only one we went to for pizza. It was still excellent when i went around 2007 or so.

Reaction Score
Mama Luke's in Farmington was a Joey Garlics but I believe one of the partners split off and re-branded. Joey Garlics had pretty good think crust.

Reaction Score
I am sure the owner was not completely innocent, but the city was a big part of the problem too. They are the landlord, but then they took away a lot of the parking for that location, meaning that F&L got to fight over limited street parking, which basically put it out of the banquet and party business. The city then refused to renegotiate the lease.

The city made a business decision not to renegotiate, and the owner made a business decision not to piss hundreds of thousands of dollars away on a location that could no longer be profitable at the current rent. Now Middletown has a vacant storefront on Main Street that can compete with all the other vacant storefronts on Main Street for the 2 businesses that may want to open downtown in any given year.

I thought MIddletown's was the best of the three that I had been to. I like the Hartford location better than Plainville, although both are good. First and last is a different take on pizza without going crazy.
Not completely innocent? It sounds like both sides contributed to the demise but simply not paying rent at all is not trying to renegotiate in good faith. I'm not sure I'd be willing to "renegotiate" with a tenant who chose not to pay rent for over two years. We don't have a record of the conversations or the financials but as Thorogood said, "Now next Friday come I didn't get the rent, and out the door I went"

Reaction Score

For me, you can’t beat the original on Maple Ave. My parents would send me there when it was only the room on the left with pots of sauce, pasta, sausage and meatballs behind the bar. The pizza came later on.

Reaction Score
Ace Memeti's new place, Nonna Pizza, in Plainville is really good.
They have many specialty pizzas but the Penne Vodka Pizza is really good.

Reaction Score

In my eyes (and stomach) that was by far the worst of the 4 I've been to. PLainville the best original #2 and Avon #3 with Middletown a distant 4th. And thats the feeling of the Middletown people also they didn't like it the last few years it lost it's flavor and consistency. .Mondo's in Middletown the best there anyway excellent pie!

Reaction Score
Mama Luke's in Farmington was a Joey Garlics but I believe one of the partners split off and re-branded. Joey Garlics had pretty good think crust.

It was Rossini's prior to Joey Garlics and that's when it was at it's best. Rossini's sauce was so good you could get a "plain" with just parmesan sprinkled on it and it was a great pie.

Just so Deep and AW know I almost asked them to make me a Spooker :cool:

Reaction Score
At some point here we debated how good Cumberland Farms pizza was. Pres just gave it a 0.8 for what it’s worth.

Barstool Pizza Review - Cumberland Farms (Nantucket) Barstool Sports

Reaction Score
For anyone desiring true Italian pizza I would suggest Naples in Farmington, especially the Sicilian BBQ Chicken.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At some point here we debated how good Cumberland Farms pizza was. Pres just gave it a 0.8 for what it’s worth.

Barstool Pizza Review - Cumberland Farms (Nantucket) Barstool Sports

Pretty funny. Four people in the store, the three in front of him were all there to get pizza. One in a million.

Can't believe he walked out with a 20oz can of Truly. What a db of a man you have to be to grab one of those. Even the worst IPA dbags will at least drink a Mich Ultra on the beach.

Reaction Score
Pretty funny. Four people in the store, the three in front of him were all there to get pizza. One in a million.

Can't believe he walked out with a 20oz can of Truly. What a db of a man you have to be to grab one of those. Even the worst IPA dbags will at least drink a Mich Ultra on the beach.
He's a huge jagbag but did you just try and compare a hard seltzer bro drink to IPA's? And why would anyone drink a Michelob Ultra?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's a huge jagbag but did you just try and compare a hard seltzer bro drink to IPA's? And why would anyone drink a Michelob Ultra?

No, no, no. Made some keen observations over 4th of July weekend at some beaches and hangouts. Temps were raging, heat index of 105-110. All these bearded bros with holes in their ears who Mon-Thurs hang out on the iron wrought tables on a sidewalk sipping their IPA with their dog and Tinder dates were on the beach sucking down Mich Ultras. It was ridiculous. I was borderline looking for cameras to see if I was in a commercial being filmed. I had my trusty beach beer of Sam '76 in cans. But, even the most emasculated males (and there were more than a few) at least had a beer. Truly? Bubly? White Claw? Any of them hard seltzers? No dude was sucking on one of them.

I did see Dave is now sponsored by Truly so I get the plug, but what a god awful mash up of sponsorship to product being pimped.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Seriously. Just give me a bottled water. What is the point of that crap?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom