OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 142 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So I don't live in CT anymore and struggle with suburban Boston pizza, with a few decent options but mostly Greek "house of" stuff.

But I just came back from France. Yes, the north of France, and holy do those people like their pizza. Pizza places everywhere in Normandy, Brittany and the Loire region and all of it was good. Some of it pretty legit Neopolitan style. They did have some odd toppings, but everyplace needs local flavor. Ten day trip and I had pizza four times....in France.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Comparing Pepe's NH to the other Pepe's is pointless. The difference is the oven. The original's oven is a different universe. They've said as much themselves.

Yes, it isn't just the slices. The whole pies at Mohegan are just ok. I mean, they are way better than "House of", but not really superior to several "brick oven" places I've been too, even in Mass. New one opening in my town soon...fingers crossed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going to drop a controversial bombshell here... other day, wife asked me to pick up a slice of pizza from Whole Foods. I got two, one for each of us. Granted, Pittsburgh pizza ain't NH, and I'm not gonna say this was Top 5 NH quality, but I was dumbfounded at how good it actually was. Crust was excellent. No idea if our local WF is an outlier, but wondering if any of y'all have tried it? Might be an option for those not around NH. Expensive though - 2 slices for $7.50 (although big NY size slices).

I like the pizza at Big Y better plus it’s $5 for two with a soda!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Comparing Pepe's NH to the other Pepe's is pointless. The difference is the oven. The original's oven is a different universe. They've said as much themselves.

Pepe's Fairfield has been open almost 15 years. The oven is seasoned. On a good day with the right pizziaolo, they can match New Haven. Not every pie, every time, but I can attest to 5 star (out of 5) pies there, and nothing under an 4 recently.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Checked back in and noted the recent posts that reprise people's favorite lists. All were within more than acceptable range, but this gives me an opportunity to note that I got a small bacon & cheese from BAR two weeks ago, my first from there since I moved back to New Haven 6 years ago, been there since its beginning, and largely a fan (just busy elsewhere with other old and many new). I was stunned that it simply was not good. The crust was stiff, no great pleasure in either crunch or chew, and no particular flavor to or from the dough. Maybe an off night, so unexpected. Bigger drop-off from expectation than my initial attempts with Fairfield & Mohegan Sun Pepe's, or my never quite warming to DaLegna. Barring a redemptive visit, this was with a local top dozen range. Again, very surprised. And fwiw, for the past 15 years, I've mostly gone with mashed potato & bacon.

Reaction Score
What’s the best in the Rocky Hill/Cromwell/Middletown area? Headed back there for my nephew’s bday and I’m tired of Ilianos.

Do you guys have a best bagel thread? I know there was a place in West Hartford we went to once which was great, but it was a bit of a pain to get to.

Best bagels: drive to West Hartford, then keep driving, till you get to Boston. Drive a little farther north and arrive at Bagel World in Danvers, MA.

Those are the best bagels.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
good heads up from a top ten poster. will have to check that out.
He is correct. Big Y will make you a bigger, better grinder than Subway with much better toppings. For less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you have a personal top ten posters or is there a Boneyard wide top ten? Either way congrats @FartMan69

i’m sure we all have our own personal top tens - but some posters are clearly a cut above

Reaction Score
So I don't live in CT anymore and struggle with suburban Boston pizza, with a few decent options but mostly Greek "house of" stuff.

But I just came back from France. Yes, the north of France, and holy do those people like their pizza. Pizza places everywhere in Normandy, Brittany and the Loire region and all of it was good. Some of it pretty legit Neopolitan style. They did have some odd toppings, but everyplace needs local flavor. Ten day trip and I had pizza four times....in France.
Dude, we’ve had that stuff over here for years already.
715pwBTgzxL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Dude, we’ve had that stuff over here for years already.
715pwBTgzxL._SY355_.jpg

Was legit Neopolitan style. France is quite a bit closer to Naples than New Haven is.

Reaction Score
I had Bufalina in Guilford tonight for the first time after recommendations from this thread.

My friends and I split 4 pies plus the nutella pie for dessert. I loved everything about the place. All 5 pies were very, very good. I’ll definitely be back again soon.

Thank you Boneyard!

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had Bufalina in Guilford tonight for the first time after recommendations from this thread.

My friends and I split 4 pies plus the nutella pie for dessert. I loved everything about the place and all 5 pies were very, very good. I’ll definitely be back again soon.

Thank you Boneyard!

I hope you picked up the 8893 commemorative knee pads on way out. Collectors item.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom