OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 141 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Ok so went to the Barrett Jackson auto auction yesterday and prior to getting to sit we wanted a beer and a bite. Thank God instead of nacho's, burgers, dogs, sausage grinders there was a Frank Pepe's for slices. The girls went to get some fruit and crap no good for you and the boys went shopping at Pepe's after grabbing a Sam's. I will say this it was better than the other selections but they do prepare their slices anything like they do a pizza at any of the Pepe locations. At Mohegan Arena it's thick and crusty, still flavored ok but too much dough to take away the sauce, cheers and pepperoni to feel like you're eating a high end pizza.

Reaction Score
New special alert! Rhode island little neck clam pizza

garlic-parsley oil, parm, bacon
White Clam Apizza’s nothing new yet always has been special in New Haven. Luckily, it’s not overwhelmed with unnecessary bacon. Beauty’s in the taste buds of the beholder.

On the subject of pizza, AAC vs NNBE; improvement? Trade Tulsa, Witchita, bum puck East Carolina for Butler/Indy, Creighton/Omaha, Marquette/Old Swilwaukee ...

Reaction Score
Over Lox Stock? You are out of your flipping mind.

Absolutely not. Lox stock? It isn't even that good. Grew up with one 1/4 mile from my house and I recall nothing special at all.

Reaction Score
Get some facts - try it with onions and peppers - and come back and see me.
Chief, with all due respect, you just don't get it when it comes to pizza. Stick to critical basketball insight to enlighten the masses. Far more in your wheelhouse.
#bitchesandhos

Reaction Score
1. Modern
2. Pepe
3. Sallys
4. Olde World
5. Bar
1. Zuppardis
2. Modern
3. Sally's
4. Roseland
5. Pepe's

HM....Bar, Ernie's

20 or 30 years ago I'd of put Pepe's at 1 or 2. Loved that place back then, "The Spot" too. Had pizza at Pepe's in Danbury last week, ok decent, if not a little overpriced, but definitely not like it was years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Modern
2. Pepe
3. Sallys
4. Olde World
5. Bar

----------------------------
1) Modern
2) Pepe's (original of course)
3) BAR
4) Sally's (haven't; tried it since the new owners took it over, so...)
5) Roseland (my childhood hometown pizza)
6) Colony (its really good when one get out fo the office at 6 PM in Stamford and has a pie first while traffic is at its peak before driving home to Jersey)
7) Rossini's (my teenage hometown pizza)
?) Zuppardis (heard great things; but, have never been there)

Reaction Score
Chef David Chang Plans At Least One Pizza Run While He's In Hartford For CT Forum

>>"Collectively as a town, New Haven has some of the best pizza," Chang said in a recent phone interview. "I've always thought that. Even when we were freshmen. Anytime we'd go past New Haven...and sometimes we'd drive there, get it and come back. It was something I'd eat on the regular."

And his favorites? "I think Bar is good...Sally's is great, too, but my favorite pie is the Pepe's clam pizza. With bacon. You've got to get it with bacon."<<

>>New Haven pizza earned a prominent spot on the first episode of Chang's 2018 Netflix documentary series, "Ugly Delicious," described as a "mouthwatering, cross-cultural hunt for the world's most satisfying grub." Each of the eight episodes highlights one particular food or topic, including pizza, tacos, barbecue and fried chicken. The premiere episode found Chang wearing a Hartford Whalers T-shirt as he visited Brooklyn pizzeria Lucali and interviewed its chef and owner, Mark Iacono.

"I think New Haven pizza, as a community, has the best pizza in America," Chang told Iacono, who said he had never experienced Connecticut pies. "It's a surprising statement, I understand, but you've got to check it out." Later in the episode, Iacono traveled to Wooster Street to meet Pepe's co-owner Gary Bimonte, grandson of the founder. <<

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm going to drop a controversial bombshell here... other day, wife asked me to pick up a slice of pizza from Whole Foods. I got two, one for each of us. Granted, Pittsburgh pizza ain't NH, and I'm not gonna say this was Top 5 NH quality, but I was dumbfounded at how good it actually was. Crust was excellent. No idea if our local WF is an outlier, but wondering if any of y'all have tried it? Might be an option for those not around NH. Expensive though - 2 slices for $7.50 (although big NY size slices).

Reaction Score
I'm going to drop a controversial bombshell here... other day, wife asked me to pick up a slice of pizza from Whole Foods. I got two, one for each of us. Granted, Pittsburgh pizza ain't NH, and I'm not gonna say this was Top 5 NH quality, but I was dumbfounded at how good it actually was. Crust was excellent. No idea if our local WF is an outlier, but wondering if any of y'all have tried it? Might be an option for those not around NH. Expensive though - 2 slices for $7.50 (although big NY size slices).
I haven’t had the WF’s pizza. But have you seen this?
It’s hilarious and you feel embarrassed because if you shop there, you’re guilty of half of it...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I haven’t had the WF’s pizza. But have you seen this?
It’s hilarious and you feel embarrassed because if you shop there, you’re guilty of half of it...

I'm not in LA and I don't see d-bags like the guy in that video in my store. Parking never an issue. Can usually get within 4 spots of the front of lot, any time of day.

Hey, I get WF is pricey and has a ton of crap nobody really needs, but for what I buy there it's fine and competitive - salsa and hummus always on sale and they've got the best bread of any nearby market. I've got five supermarkets w/i 1.5 miles of my house. Each has a different application for me.

Reaction Score
I'm not in LA and I don't see d-bags like the guy in that video in my store. Parking never an issue. Can usually get within 4 spots of the front of lot, any time of day.

Hey, I get WF is pricey and has a ton of crap nobody really needs, but for what I buy there it's fine and competitive - salsa and hummus always on sale and they've got the best bread of any nearby market. I've got five supermarkets w/i 1.5 miles of my house. Each has a different application for me.
I’m in NJ and lived in PA and the Priuses and the people just being annoying... yep. I don’t mind the prices, especially with Amazon discounts, but a lot of the people are kind of pretentious. Maybe it’s just the Princeton one? And we have a ton of supermarkets, too. It’s just the type...

Reaction Score
Over Lox Stock? You are out of your flipping mind.
Absolutely not. Lox stock? It isn't even that good. Grew up with one 1/4 mile from my house and I recall nothing special at all.
Lox Stock basically just microwaves their pre-made egg discs like a glorified Dunkin’ Donuts. And they do it right in front of you. The bagels are good, but overall nothing special.

Goldberg’s is great, but the line is also always bad so I haven’t gone very often lately.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1. Sally's
2. Modern
3. Pepe's

Rest don't matter
After 3,518 posts, this is your gem? To parrot roughly 1/3 of the posts that came before?

I think it's been fairly well established that the New Haven trio are the gold standard in Connecticut the Northeast the country outside Naples the world. I mostly come back to this thread in case people recommend hidden gems in the other 7 counties.

BTW, I haven't had it at the original NH location lately, but since Pepe went multi-location, it's fallen on my personal list.

C

Chief00

Chief, with all due respect, you just don't get it when it comes to pizza. Stick to critical basketball insight to enlighten the masses. Far more in your wheelhouse.
#bitchesandhos
It’s amazing how many have knocked a pizza without actually going there and trying it. It’s called stereotypes. If you actually try it, then feel free to criticize.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom