OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 139 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Grand Apizza Shoreline (Clinton)

Portnoy chasing a chick in Westbrook. He was at Aqua in Clinton this weekend and the upper deck in Westbrook. He’s all over the place right now.

Reaction Score
Portnoy chasing a chick in Westbrook. He was at Aqua in Clinton this weekend and the upper deck in Westbrook. He’s all over the place right now.

You weighed on Grand Apizza before. Care to refine your review after the Portnoy “expert” score?

August_West

Reaction Score
You weighed on Grand Apizza before. Care to refine your review after the Portnoy “expert” score?
I used to live in a house the parking lot behind there about 250 feet door to door. It’s serviceable that’s it. I stick by that. But I haven’t been there in 15 years either.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Gary still owns the bar, did he clean it up or something?
Anybody know why Bohemian was torn down and rebuilt in the identical footprint? I don’t think there was a fire?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don’t know if I weighed in on it before but I am guessing I did. We get pizza there occasionally. I think Nuzz is stretching the “big four” simply because the original was technically in New Haven, but it is Fair Haven and no one I know considers Grand Apizza on par with Sally’s, Modern or Pepe’s. It is definitely among the best of the next level though. It is very decent non-New Haven, New Haven-style pizza. Of which there are many. Thankfully.

Reaction Score
Anybody know why Bohemian was torn down and rebuilt in the identical footprint? I don’t think there was a fire?
It was falling apart, roof caving in. I remember bugging Gary for work before the place even opened over 20 years ago and he would ask my friend all the time if he wanted to buy it off him. I'm glad he kept it all these years.

Gary is a good guy and has always been a character. The town didn't want him there after the notoriety from his first bar the Purple Gator in Torrington and was throwing up roadblocks for him. He turned it into a local fixture. Locals never called it Bohemian or Ditto's. It was always the Tavern or the Dirt Bar.

Reaction Score
Portnoy loves CT apizza all his CT reviews have been positive.

He likes his pie really well done. He should try Papas in Milford.

I don't understand the love for Papas in Milford. That where my in laws get pizza all the time and its meh to me. I get Milford doesn't have great options but they and my wife family speak of it like it's a great pie

Reaction Score
I don't understand the love for Papas in Milford. That where my in laws get pizza all the time and its meh to me. I get Milford doesn't have great options but they and my wife family speak of it like it's a great pie
Which one are you going to? The one on Naugatuck Ave. in Devon is better than the one on Bridgeport Ave. IMO.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Which one are you going to? The one on Naugatuck Ave. in Devon is better than the one on Bridgeport Ave. IMO.
Devon.
The thing to get at Papa’s is not the pizza, but the “cone” grinders. Chicken parm cone especially.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The thing to get at Papa’s is not the pizza, but the “cone” grinders. Chicken parm cone especially.
IIRC, they have good coupons early in the week for those who want to make up their own mind about the pizza. Didn't strike me as something worth crossing town lines for, but not bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
IIRC, they have good coupons early in the week for those who want to make up their own mind about the pizza. Didn't strike me as something worth crossing town lines for, but not bad.
Agreed. Definitely not bad. But the cones are a distinctive item and worth a trip imo. They cut off one end of a grinder roll, hollow it out, fill it with your grinder filling of choice (in my case, chicken parm, which is cubed) and then put back a bread cork of sorts on the open end and then put it in the oven to seal the cone and heat the filling. Makes for a very nice and unique grinder.

“Everybody must get coned!”

August_West

Reaction Score
On my backstage toads rider tonight

Attachments

• 45B67889-692C-44B4-98B3-E77E0D0A2E10.jpeg
    45B67889-692C-44B4-98B3-E77E0D0A2E10.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 46

August_West

Reaction Score
White eggplant and bacon modern eggplant the best no contest

Attachments

• DEB7B5A2-21C5-476F-BCD9-FCAEF68D311F.jpeg
    DEB7B5A2-21C5-476F-BCD9-FCAEF68D311F.jpeg
    852.7 KB · Views: 47

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads