OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 131 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Always trust content from ADub ;-)
Let me know when you hit Bufalina. Too late for you to try the OG though. They are closed for renovations until 4/19, when they open the expanded place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ham and pineapple? C'mon, 8893.
Hawaiian with jalapeño is a longtime favorite of ours. For the fourth pie I gave Mrs. 8893 the choice between that and shrimp and bacon with jalapeño, another favorite. She chose the former and said she preferred hot cherry peppers, which was also an option. It was delicious.

Reaction Score
Coming from an Italian family I would be disowned and ex-communicated if I got pineapple on my pizza.

Pineapple on pizza is disgusting. I bet you can find a better fruit to throw on a pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Geez louise people. Have you never had Thai food with pineapple and hot peppers? The sweet from the fruit cuts the heat from the peppers; it's a natural pairing in that and many other cuisines. And adding sweet fruit to savory dishes is hardly a concept that is alien to Italian food. Raisins in meatballs? If you don't like the idea of pineapple you should try a pie with fig and speck, which is very Italian. Same exact concept as pineapple and ham though.

We got four pies; three of them were traditional and we wanted to do something different with the other one. Would have been too boring for me otherwise.

Reaction Score
Any one know a good pepperoni pie that has the little pepperonis that curl up on themselves and become a little grease spoon? I used to love the pepperoni at Beverly's but I think they changed.

Reaction Score
Geez louise people. Have you never had Thai food with pineapple and hot peppers? The sweet from the fruit cuts the heat from the peppers; it's a natural pairing in that and many other cuisines. And adding sweet fruit to savory dishes is hardly a concept that is alien to Italian food. Raisins in meatballs? If you don't like the idea of pineapple you should try a pie with fig and speck, which is very Italian. Same exact concept as pineapple and ham though.

We got four pies; three of them were traditional and we wanted to do something different with the other one. Would have been too boring for me otherwise.

That's the great thing about Pizza. Traditional can be fantastic, as can something very different like pineapple or red potatoes. People who get bent out of shape over pizza toppings amaze me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Any one know a good pepperoni pie that has the little pepperonis that curl up on themselves and become a little grease spoon? I used to love the pepperoni at Beverly's but I think they changed.

Prince Street Pizza Spicy Spring squares . The best.

They dont have to be little.

Its the type of pepperoni.

You must use a good Natural casing pepperoni. You can ask the Pizza places what they use. I had stuff bought online that sells to Pizza houses, and I also have put Boars Head Natural casing sticks on my deli slicer. And they curl.

If you are interested here is the science on "Grease cup".

Why Does Pepperoni Curl? | The Food Lab

As far as who does that in CT. Ive had it here but Its kinda random.

Reaction Score
Prince Street Pizza Spicy Spring squares . The best.

They dont have to be little.

Its the type of pepperoni.

You must use a good Natural casing pepperoni. You can ask the Pizza places what they use. I had stuff bought online that sells to Pizza houses, and I also have put Boars Head Natural casing sticks on my deli slicer. And they curl.

If you are interested here is the science on "Grease cup".

Why Does Pepperoni Curl? | The Food Lab

As far as who does that in CT. Ive had it here but Its kinda random.

I actually ripped off the line "grease cup" from that article. Love Kenji. I have been craving both that style of pepperoni and a good deep dish but I think I might have to make it myself.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I actually ripped off the line "grease cup" from that article. Love Kenji. I have been craving both that style of pepperoni and a good deep dish but I think I might have to make it myself.

Try making the Prince Street rip off on Serious Eats. Its not that hard. It took me a few times but Ive perfected it. Comes out perfect in a regular 500 to 550 degree oven so its my "winter Pizza" before my Propane fired pizza oven hits the deck for the summer. Just incredible. Problem is its so good my family demands it now instead of takeout. And while its not hard if you are good at following instructions, its a like a 5 hour proposition after making dough, rising, making fra diavlo and assembling and baking.

Get some boars head natural casing sticks and if you dont have a deli slicer and hand slice to 1/8 inch with a sharp knife. Laborious but worth it.

Reaction Score
Try making the Prince Street rip off on Serious Eats. Its not that hard. It took me a few times but Ive perfected it. Comes out perfect in a regular 500 to 550 degree oven so its my "winter Pizza" before my Propane fired pizza oven hits the deck for the summer. Just incredible. Problem is its so good my family demands it now instead of takeout. And while its not hard if you are good at following instructions, its a like a 5 hour proposition after making dough, rising, making fra diavlo and assembling and baking.

Get some boars head natural casing sticks and if you dont have a deli slicer and hand slice to 1/8 inch with a sharp knife. Laborious but worth it.

Sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to knock this out tomorrow to quench my deep dish fix and look forward to attempting they spicy Roni hopefully this weekend.

DD101: EXTRA – Always Room For Improvement 2 (Electric Pizzaloo)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Has anyone tried Oakland Pizza in South Windsor yet?
We went tonight, sat at the bar and had a great time. They had a Kent Falls and a Fox Farm on tap and G-Bot cans. The conventional pies have a large but the "artisinal" pies only have the 12" size. Now the 12" is a nice pie but if the two are you are hungry, you might want a starter. We had the Friday special and thought it was excellent. Thin crust with a bit of a chew. Not a charred crust, more of a light brown. The toppings were mushrooms, ramps, prosciutto, mushroom cream and something else I forget. Friendly servers and it was pretty full by the time we left. We'll go back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to knock this out tomorrow to quench my deep dish fix and look forward to attempting they spicy Roni hopefully this weekend.

DD101: EXTRA – Always Room For Improvement 2 (Electric Pizzaloo)

The update nobody asked for and nobody wanted. Super easy recipe, takes very little active time and will be as good or better than whatever you can order. After like 4 months I have finally quenched my deep dish craving.

Reaction Score
First and Last does that. Then you just sprinkle some grated cheese on to soak up all that delicious grease. Yum!

awesome-pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Reaction Score
First and Last does that. Then you just sprinkle some grated cheese on to soak up all that delicious grease. Yum!

awesome-pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Not sure which First and Last that is from, but I always overlook the one in Glastonbury, as there are a handful of other very good Pizza places in town. Angelo's has a bunch of really good pizza choices if Greek style pizza is your thing (it usually isn't mine), and their chicken parmesan grinders are huge and amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure which First and Last that is from, but I always overlook the one in Glastonbury, as there are a handful of other very good Pizza places in town. Angelo's has a bunch of really good pizza choices if Greek style pizza is your thing (it usually isn't mine), and their chicken parmesan grinders are huge and amazing.
According to the Yelp picture I stole it from it’s the Hartford one, which living in Wethersfield is only minutes away for me.

I’m not big on Greek but I worked in G-Bury for quite a while until recently and I’m pretty familiar with Angelo’s, that would be our go to for work related pizza needs (they deliver). They’re pretty decent as Greek style goes, just lacking a little punch in the flavor of their sauce and toppings. If I had my druthers I’d go with Harry’s or Luna’s in Glastonbury.

Reaction Score
According to the Yelp picture I stole it from it’s the Hartford one, which living in Wethersfield is only minutes away for me.

I’m not big on Greek but I worked in G-Bury for quite a while until recently and I’m pretty familiar with Angelo’s, that would be our go to for work related pizza needs (they deliver). They’re pretty decent as Greek style goes, just lacking a little punch in the flavor of their sauce and toppings. If I had my druthers I’d go with Harry’s or Luna’s in Glastonbury.

No shortage of good places for pizza in Glastonbury. Sassano in South Glastonbury may be the best of the bunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For those repulsed by the idea of the pineapple, ham, hot cherry pepper pie, I should mention that one of the specialty pies at Bobby’s is a pie topped with mac and cheese and bacon. I thought my daughters were going to request that because they love mac and cheese (and bacon), but the thought of that on a pizza was not attractive to them. I would have been interested to see it, but it sounded sickening to me. So I guess everyone draws the line somewhere in terms of what is acceptable for pizza topping

Reaction Score
For those repulsed by the idea of the pineapple, ham, hot cherry pepper pie, I should mention that one of the specialty pies at Bobby’s is a pie topped with mac and cheese and bacon. I thought my daughters were going to request that because they love mac and cheese (and bacon), but the thought of that on a pizza was not attractive to them. I would have been interested to see it, but it sounded sickening to me. So I guess everyone draws the line somewhere in terms of what is acceptable for pizza topping

Oddly enough since Jersey likes its traditional pies, like sausage, the local pie places all have Mac & Cheese or Baked Ziti pies. I can't get my head around that; but, I they carry it because it sells...

Of course, then's this pie from Brother Bruno's next to William Paterson U (and they ship nationally)...

brother bruno.JPG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom