OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 133 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Pineapple on pizza is easy to hate — at least in theory

It’s not the combination that some of you hate — the pineapple and ham on pizza — but the execution of it. Too many people, it seems, have been burned by poor versions of the Hawaiian, in which thick chunks of syrupy pineapple are merely dumped onto a cheese pie with similarly thick-cut ham.
Although I no longer live in CT, I still consider myself as much of a pizza snob as the rest of you Nutmeggers. Pepe's, Sally's, John's of Bleeker Street, etc. I think Luna is good too - love the fresh mozz. We have Chris Bianco out here in Phoenix when I really need a fix, and Cibo is to die for:

So - very traditional pizza tastes... BUT, I make a pizza every week, and ham/pineapple is definitely in my rotation. Not traditional, but if it's good, it's good. And someone here on the BY suggested in last year's annual "best pizza" thread to add green pepper to the Hawaiian pie. Not intuitive, but I tried it and it works!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Although I no longer live in CT, I still consider myself as much of a pizza snob as the rest of you Nutmeggers. Pepe's, Sally's, John's of Bleeker Street, etc. I think Luna is good too - love the fresh mozz. We have Chris Bianco out here in Phoenix when I really need a fix, and Cibo is to die for:
Doughbird in PHX does a decent pie too. They do a couple of weird combos (sweet potato and Brussels sprouts) that I didn’t like but the sausage and mushroom was damned good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And someone here on the BY suggested in last year's annual "best pizza" thread to add green pepper to the Hawaiian pie. Not intuitive, but I tried it and it works!
No it doesn't. Green bell peppers svck. Automatic and immediate disqualification.

Reaction Score
I love pineapple and love it sometimes on a chicken sandwich. I love the sweet salty combo (melon with a cured meat) but never thought it had a place on pizza.
It's the temperature that makes it disgusting. Hot pineapple.... I'm sure if you tried hot melon and cured meat, it would be similarly disgusting.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We get it. You have the taste buds of a 10-year old. No need to beat us over the head with it.
Yup, that's it. :rolleyes:

Oh, but wait. 133 pages of espousing the New Haven Big 4 (Modern, Zuppardi's, Pepe, and Sally's) are better than any other parlor in the state, and thereby the country, is okay? That's not beating anyone over the head? Best you just get over my post and move on.

Getting back to peppers, Red, orange, and yellow bell are all fine, especially roasted, and they are more nutritious. On the other hand, the only decent green pepper varieties have some heat to them, IMO (Jalepeno, Serrano, Poblano, etc.). Still wouldn't prefer them on pizza.

Reaction Score

Oh, but wait. 133 pages of espousing the New Haven Big 4 (Modern, Zuppardi's, Pepe, and Sally's) are better than any other parlor in the state, and thereby the country, is okay? That's not beating anyone over the head? Best you just get over my post and move on.

Getting back to peppers, Red, orange, and yellow bell are all fine, especially roasted, and they are more nutritious. On the other hand, the only decent green pepper varieties have some heat to them, IMO (Jalepeno, Serrano, Poblano, etc.). Still wouldn't prefer them on pizza.
Oh calm down and take a joke you green pepper-hating head beater.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh calm down and take a joke you green pepper-hating head beater.
My hatred of green peppers is not a laughing matter. Neck and neck with that of cauliflower.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's the temperature that makes it disgusting. Hot pineapple.... I'm sure if you tried hot melon and cured meat, it would be similarly disgusting.

Had a revelation about a month ago with hot pineapple as part of a crawfish boil. Fresh pineapple slices in a steaming hot very well seasoned seafood boil and it tasted great. All the natural sweetness of pineapple countered by the salty and spicy seafood seasoning.
First time I had that combination and it worked well. Think mango habanero.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
“I think there’s a culture now where we are so disconnected that we are now grouping together by hating things,”

Truth.
Wait does this quote group a bunch of things together and then use that disparage the culture as disconnected?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I mean it’s just objectively true that New Haven has the best pizza in the world

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I just wanna note that I went to Sassano about a week ago and didn’t really like it. The crust is ridiculously thick. It’s like eating a loaf of bread. My favorite Hartford area may be Harry’s bishops corner, or Naples. Glastonbury doesn’t really have a great spot

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Did a Margherita and a clam with bacon at Pepe’s yesterday before Trey show. They were on point . Right crust, right char, Pepe’s got some credit back from me, because they had been all over map on my recent previous visits. But yesterday was them at their best.

Wooster street is now a sheet show. The lines at Pepe’s and Sally’s were insane. Sally’s especially. Modern had a huge line too. Which you don’t see at that level. I blame the barstool idiot. Lots of pizza tourists making the pilgrimage. All out of state plates.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did a Margherita and a clam with bacon at Pepe’s yesterday before Trey show. They were on point . Right crust, right char, Pepe’s got some credit back from me, because they had been all over map on my recent previous visits. But yesterday was them at their best.

Wooster street is now a sheet show. The lines at Pepe’s and Sally’s were insane. Sally’s especially. Modern had a huge line too. Which you don’t see at that level. I blame the barstool idiot. Lots of pizza tourists making the pilgrimage. All out of state plates.
How was the show?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Some of the foodie shows will spike their filming to prevent mom and pop"s from getting overrun by Google search. Some joints don't want the press and just want to be a small little place off the radar.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do you even Thai food, bro?

I enjoy savory over sweet 99% of the time. One can Thai or Mexican or Chinese and avoid curries with pineapple, al pastor tacos or sweet n sour dishes rather easily. It's rare I'm in the mood for sweet in an entree and I agree that hot pineapple kinda sucks (and overpowers other elements). About the only cuisine where I really like fruit in the dish is Moroccan, and that's usually either dried apricots, prunes or dates.

First day I went to work in my company's Mexico City office, staff ordered in pizza for lunch. It was like 6 pineapple and ham pizzas and one plain. From Domino's. That was so wrong on two levels. But the combo was by far their favorite, and they never understood why I wouldn't partake.

Reaction Score
I enjoy savory over sweet 99% of the time. One can Thai or Mexican or Chinese and avoid curries with pineapple, al pastor tacos or sweet n sour dishes rather easily. It's rare I'm in the mood for sweet in an entree and I agree that hot pineapple kinda sucks (and overpowers other elements). About the only cuisine where I really like fruit in the dish is Moroccan, and that's usually either dried apricots, prunes or dates.

First day I went to work in my company's Mexico City office, staff ordered in pizza for lunch. It was like 6 pineapple and ham pizzas and one plain. From Domino's. That was so wrong on two levels. But the combo was by far their favorite, and they never understood why I wouldn't partake.
Moroccan food is maybe my least favorite cuisine for this reason.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Last day of classes at Yale was Friday. Im sure that didn't help. Ive learned to check the Yale calendar when considering Wooster Street eats. School was out on the night of the JRAD show, probably why there was no wait at Sally's at 6 PM on a Thursday . . .

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Last day of classes at Yale was Friday. Im sure that didn't help. Ive learned to check the Yale calendar when considering Wooster Street eats. School was out on the night of the JRAD show, probably why there was no wait at Sally's at 6 PM on a Thursday . . .

Got my last paper due May 1! Wanna do Sally’s after graduation but impossible considering they don’t do reservations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom