OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 135 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
What's up with this place? One Bite review from today. Could have been mentioned somewhere in these 134 pages but I don't remember hearing about it.

That's the thing... once you get outside the arguable Top 10 - its an embarrassment of riches when it comes to pizza around here. There are very solid options that don't have the widespread fandom of the more well known but put out solid pies. Get outside the general Mid-Atlantic area and you are in a pizza wasteland.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's the thing... once you get outside the arguable Top 10 - its an embarrassment of riches when it comes to pizza around here. There are very solid options that don't have the widespread fandom of the more well known but put out solid pies. Get outside the general Mid-Atlantic area and you are in a pizza wasteland.
^This.
I was going to make this a Reply on the "Always trust..." comment just above, but it fits better here.

After excellent Afropop at Best Video in Hamden on Sunday, I wanted pizza and elected to drive right past very nearby Olde World, but not to go home for my similarly reliable nabe Ernie's. Instead, I called in a small half white broccoli rabe & sausage, half red sausage & cheese and headed off to Bobby's based on multiple mentions and the @8893 B+ rating.

The red half was soggy & droopy, and the white half was nothing special, while the place did sport a credible enough vibe to support what I'd expected. Neither side was sufficiently transformed by a reheating back home of what I didn't eat in the car, though there was improvement.

Key takeaway is that I fully expected a peer to Olde World, Ernie's, and others that fill the same space. Absolutely not.

I'm not in North Branford environs enough for it to matter, but in a future visit to that neck of the woods, I would definitely opt for Supreme Seafood instead of pizza.

See above. Or get seafood instead. But not at Lobster Landing. Or make soup. Or just avoid any of my recs or August's; clearly too pedestrian for your tastes.

Reaction Score
If you want to get pizza in West Hartford, it's Harry's Bishops Corner or Savoy IMO. Never see the need to go elsewhere unless it's a 2AM regret pie.

Savoy? C'mon. That oven is like 6 months old. There's no life in that thing and it's fancy date night pizza. Enjoy eating a fig and goat cheese pizza. Not me.

Reaction Score
Savoy? C'mon. That oven is like 6 months old. There's no life in that thing and it's fancy date night pizza. Enjoy eating a fig and goat cheese pizza. Not me.
It’s almost not like getting pizza, the “artisanal” type places are basically their own thing, but I do like it.

If I feel like having true pizza (if I’m making sense at all here), it’s pretty much always Harry’s for me in WeHa.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bobby’s? :)
I was going to make this a Reply on the "Always trust..." comment just above, but it fits better here.

After excellent Afropop at Best Video in Hamden on Sunday, I wanted pizza and elected to drive right past very nearby Olde World, but not to go home for my similarly reliable nabe Ernie's. Instead, I called in a small half white broccoli rabe & sausage, half red sausage & cheese and headed off to Bobby's based on multiple mentions and the @8893 B+ rating.

The red half was soggy & droopy, and the white half was nothing special, while the place did sport a credible enough vibe to support what I'd expected. Neither side was sufficiently transformed by a reheating back home of what I didn't eat in the car, though there was improvement.

Key takeaway is that I fully expected a peer to Olde
^This.

See above. Or get seafood instead. But not at Lobster Landing. Or make soup. Or just avoid any of my recs or August's; clearly too pedestrian for your tastes.
Oh no ya don't. You'd have totally agreed on this one if it had been your first time. And over the long haul, you are as reliable as anybody here, w/Adub not far behind, though I'm still afraid to try Arby's, based on taste memory of its lead sandwich nearly half a century ago. I can't tell if it's a well-sustained joke, or I'm missing out on something.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh no ya don't. You'd have totally agreed on this one if it had been your first time. And over the long haul, you are as reliable as anybody here, w/Adub not far behind, though I'm still afraid to try Arby's, based on taste memory of its lead sandwich nearly half a century ago. I can't tell if it's a well-sustained joke, or I'm missing out on something.
Please just promise me that you, like August, will never go to Bufalina. Let me live in blissful ignorance of any flaws there.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Can never decide if I like savoy. Crust is good and I love a neapolitan pie, but they're skimly on the mozz imo

Savoy is awesome. Date night pizza is awesome. Wings are questionable.

I dunno if there's been a wings thread, but wings in CT are flipping dreadful. It's a barren, barren, wingless world ...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
^This.

Lol.

Reaction Score
Latest Courant review on Blind Pig for the non-traditional adventurers: Side Dish: Blind Pig Pizza

>>Pizza here begins with a medium-thin crust covered with ample red sauce and a whopping amount of mozz. A large range of topping choices enables a veritable cornucopia of DIY pies. How about pulled pork, pineapple and pesto? Or bacon, Brussels sprouts and Buffalo sauce? We decided to skip making our own rhymes and rely instead on the poetry of Blind Pig’s specialties, like the famous “moink” — moo plus oink, i.e., bacon-wrapped meatballs. They come with cheddar added to the mozz, and BBQ sauce sluiced copiously in a pinwheel pattern. Another red-sauce pizza combined pulled chicken with Gorgonzola that melded with tomato and Buffalo sauces in an irresistible flavor.

In pizza terms, this is not your grandmother’s Margherita. These are heavy-metal, manly, industrial-strength pies, loaded with meat, drizzled in sweet sauces and presenting a sinful synergy of oozing, sizzling, crisping and browning. Slight respite came in the form of a white-sauce pizza decorated with creamy burrata, sliced tomatoes and a bright-green, citrus-inflected basil pesto.

But my favorites were the ones that went, well, whole hog, like a Texas pie adorned with mozzarella and cheddar with brisket, BBQ sauce and colorful green slices of jalapeño — the brisket emerging from the oven deliciously blackened. The Rodeo Hog substituted pulled pork for the brisket and caramelized onions for the jalapeño. A “Philly style” pizza arrived stacked high with burnt ends, mushrooms, thick slices of onion and roasted red bell peppers.<<

Reaction Score
I dunno if there's been a wings thread, but wings in CT are flipping dreadful. It's a barren, barren, wingless world
Are you kidding? Of course there is.

Reaction Score
And New Haven area ever more so. Ernie's Pizzeria in New Haven. Anyone been there? Today's One Bite review.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And New Haven area ever more so. Ernie's Pizzeria in New Haven. Anyone been there? Today's One Bite review.

I have been trying to get there and actually thought today was going to be the day. They are only open for lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and otherwise open at 3, but I needed to be in Seymour today so I had to drive by twice and was planning to hit it on the way back but I was way too early for them to be open.

I believe @Hans Sprungfeld rates it among his favorites. A friend who is local is not as impressed. Apparently the meatball pie is the thing there.

I wonder where Debbie took him before Ernie’s. Is he Ubering from the train to all these places?

Reaction Score
I wonder where Debbie took him before Ernie’s. Is he Ubering from the train to all these places?
See the previous page. John and Maria's in East Haven. He liked it a little better than Ernie's.

Reaction Score
008.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Grew up eating it. Too much cheese for my liking. For Westville apizza, I like Dayton Street better.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have been trying to get there and actually thought today was going to be the day. They are only open for lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and otherwise open at 3, but I needed to be in Seymour today so I had to drive by twice and was planning to hit it on the way back but I was way too early for them to be open.

I believe @Hans Sprungfeld rates it among his favorites. A friend who is local is not as impressed. Apparently the meatball pie is the thing there.

Ernie's is neighborhood comfort food, Ernie's son Pat making me a pie with a crunchy, fresh bread-y crust. It's not transcendent but it's a very reliable choice that's nearby and thus always available, open until 10 and willing to make a pie even if I walk in at 9:55. What's one more? make the customer happy. Every neighborhood should have a place like Ernie's.

Yes, Ernie's is a heavier, cheesier, breadier pizza than Dayton Street, but Dayton Street makes an attempt to be more like the Apizza champs and falls short. If I want that, I just go to the big three, Zuppardi's, Bar, Next Door, One6Three, etc. instead. And Dayton Street has never been particularly friendly. It's a shame they're not better. I choose Grimaldi's over them if I want to stay nearby and don't want Ernie's.

Reaction Score
Lived less than 5 mins from Ernies from 10 years and skipped every time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom