Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He'd have to transfer at least once on the choo-choo to get to St John's.

If he actually tries that, I hope he likes taking line all the way out to BFE Heights.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Last of the Ollieistas.

There are 2-3 "Ollieistas" left out of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of people who visit this site on a regular basis. One would glean the opposite from reading your posts.

Drop the embarrassing victim complex and move on.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also should be considered that he may not have access to the car he got in his Auburn package. If he is to be dependent on public transit, SJU is much more accessible from West Haven, via MTA.
To my great surprise, Google Maps shows the door-to-door public transportation time from either St John's or UConn to West Haven to be 3 hours. This is where I'd thought UConn would lose any automotive travel time advantage.

That said, I wanted Sid Wilson where
he"d best fit, so I can't want anything different for Mustapha Heron.

Reaction Score
Mullin is a train wreck. He has 12 league wins in 3 years. Lavin won 20 games both of his last two seasons and had 1 NCAA and 1 NIT appearance. They are nowhere near contending for a BE title and it’ll be Mullin leaving them in actual shambles, not Lavin.

You're just not familiar with the situation if that's what you think. They lost their entire rotation following the 2015 season.

I'm not prepared to call Mullin some prodigy, but there's a reason that job was available to him despite the complete absence of coaching experience - any coaching experience - until then. It was a total shot in the dark on the part of St. John's, and while nobody's penciling him into the Hall of Fame, there's reason to think things could be a whole lot worse given what a disaster Lavin was. Blaming him for their record these last couple years would be like slamming Hurley for going 8-24 his first two years at Rhode Island. They were a decent team last year that got bit by injuries in a really tough league. Do I think they're going to vault all the way up to first this year? Probably not, but if you add Heron to a core already consisting of Ponds, Simon, and Clark, you've got something in a year where there's no longer a prohibitive favorite.

Reaction Score
You're just not familiar with the situation if that's what you think. They lost their entire rotation following the 2015 season.

I'm not prepared to call Mullin some prodigy, but there's a reason that job was available to him despite the complete absence of coaching experience - any coaching experience - until then. It was a total shot in the dark on the part of St. John's, and while nobody's penciling him into the Hall of Fame, there's reason to think things could be a whole lot worse given what a disaster Lavin was. Blaming him for their record these last couple years would be like slamming Hurley for going 8-24 his first two years at Rhode Island. They were a decent team last year that got bit by injuries in a really tough league. Do I think they're going to vault all the way up to first this year? Probably not, but if you add Heron to a core already consisting of Ponds, Simon, and Clark, you've got something in a year where there's no longer a prohibitive favorite.

Two things you dont seem to grasp:
Ollie was a terrible head coach;
Mullin is also a terrible head coach. His record is 12-42 in the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moral high ground has nothing to do with it. This is about not wanting to call one of your own guys into your office and tell him to start packing three months in advance of the fall semester. They're not stocks.

As I said, I'd much rather them pay players under the table than continue to authorize the most corrupt organization in sports. UConn sent a pretty clear message a couple months ago about where their allegiances fall and it's not with anybody not making them money.
What?

Reaction Score

I don't think you grasp the fact that Danny Hurley went 8-24 in the damn A-10 over his first two years at Rhode Island.

I'd also think you could grasp the concept of trajectory given the fact that the guy we just fired looked like a Hall of Famer two (or even four) years in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mullin is an awful coach.

He’s further exposed by the fact that he has surrounded himself with equally poor staffers - Mitch Richmond and Greg St. Jean are clueless.

Roster turnover, impressively inept in-game performance, losses by the bushel - Mullin will be on a bar stool next to Ollie by this time next year.

Reaction Score
He might be a terrible coach. I can see how some of those things could tip you off like they did with Ollie.

But good players cover up a lot, and I'm not sure a blind appraisal of the win/loss record tells the whole story here. They weren't as bad last year as their record indicated (unlike UConn), and while losing a lot of close games can be a sign of bad coaching (see basically every UConn team of the post-Bazz era), it's also a trend that's liable to reverse itself in small samples. St. John's was within shouting distance of teams like URI, Providence, and Syracuse prior to the tournament last year - assuming they can leap from 74th to say, 50th, this year, one would think Mullin's got a decent shot at keeping his job.

Reaction Score
I don't think you grasp the fact that Danny Hurley went 8-24 in the damn A-10 over his first two years at Rhode Island.

I'd also think you could grasp the concept of trajectory given the fact that the guy we just fired looked like a Hall of Famer two (or even four) years in.
Our old coach took over a veteran group with an all-world leader at point guard. I've always given him credit for his first two seasons but once it was his program it became pretty clear pretty quickly he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Mullin didn't have the luxury of taking over a veteran team with an all-world leader at point guard and it's pretty clear he has no clue what he's doing. Like our old coach Mullin has surrounded himself with do nothing assistants who are his
buddies and like our old coach he's trying to save his job by bringing in transfers. Not at all a good recipe.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No offense, but who cares if he is not coming to UConn especially if he is going to that crap show in Queens. He can be the man there on a terrible team.

Reaction Score
Our old coach took over a veteran group with an all-world leader at point guard. I've always given him credit for his first two seasons but once it was his program it became pretty clear pretty quickly he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Mullin didn't have the luxury of taking over a veteran team with an all-world leader at point guard and it's pretty clear he has no clue what he's doing. Like our old coach Mullin has surrounded himself with do nothing assistants who are his
buddies and like our old coach he's trying to save his job by bringing in transfers. Not at all a good recipe.

I don't know if I'd say he took over a veteran group (DeAndre and Boat had only played two seasons between them at that point, both of which were fractured for different reasons), but I take your point. It was a team of self-driven guys, most of whom had played for Calhoun. I still give Ollie a lot of credit for that championship as well, but it's fair to say he's unproven at running a program in all aspects.

With Mullin, there might be some ancillary evidence that his current trajectory is unsustainable, but the trajectory still is what it is and I'm willing to keep an open mind on him until he proves incapable of managing actual talent. The victories over Duke and Nova last year bought him at least another season, even if the retention issues you mentioned need to be resolved.

Reaction Score
That is what they are speculating on the SJ board.

But keep in mind that there isn't much precedent for out of state schools. Which should be our angle, It's more likely to be granted to an instate school.
Don't they also consider the size of the state?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
People are familiar with mass transit right?

You can take a choo-choo from West Haven to NY these days.
No you will need to take at least two choo choos. Metro North/Amtrak from West Haven to Grand Central is approximately 1: 45 and then connecting to Douglaston Queens is another 1:15, a three hour trip provided all goes right.

Reaction Score
No you will need to take at least two choo choos. Metro North/Amtrak from West Haven to Grand Central is approximately 1: 45 and then connecting to Douglaston Queens is another 1:15, a three hour trip provided all goes right.

You can get the R in Grand Central which takes you close to SJ campus, but I would say 2.5-3.0 hours from West Haven is about right. Could probably drive there as fast or quicker.

Reaction Score
The drive to Storrs vs Jamaica Queens from West Haven isn't close and the variables to NY are crazy. Remember it's winter time for the most part too. Storms, traffic etc etc it's not close but it's up to the kid, his mom and dad so nothing we can do. He'd be a nice addition to this years team and would no doubt impact the W's L's but not a lot Hurley can do I am sure it's almost out of his hands.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I think Champs has said KO did a terrible job coaching
The thing you and some others have to grasp is the fact that KO is gone and beating a dead horse is asinine
Stop the skipping record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom